Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul

Re: Random Republican WINGNUTS (or RRWs as they are affectionately known as)

September 3rd, 2021, 11:19 pm

I’d like to have been at that meeting.

“For the test case we need a certain type of woman. You know, maybe a nun who was raped and is now pregnant. Do we have anyone like that?”

“Well,…”

gatarek

September 4th, 2021, 9:30 am

Those Vikings are so bloodthirsty...

Paul

September 4th, 2021, 10:27 pm

According to Worldometers.info this year so far there have been 

95m births
40m deaths
29m abortions

Among my circle I'd say that maybe one third of women have had abortions and slightly more than half of babies were unplanned.

All this data suggests to me that the status quo is quite fragile, any changes could affect populations rather dramatically.

bearish

September 6th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Well - that’s a macro perspective. In Texas it is all about destroying the life of women in the name of Jesus.

Paul

September 6th, 2021, 6:31 pm

Or making more Texans. I hope I haven't spoiled "Labor" Day for you!

bearish

September 6th, 2021, 8:42 pm

Well, the odd thing is that the vast majority of extra Texans produced this way will be black and brown. But I guess that’s where the gun laws come into play - the good Christians can shoot them once they’re out and about. Or wear their white hoods and string’em up. Whatever.

bearish

October 4th, 2021, 10:23 pm

In his quest to destroy the US economy and as much of the rest of the country as he thinks he can get away with, so as to hand the remnants to an eternal Trump dynasty, Mitch Fucking McConnell is insistent that the US must default on its debts. Because, you know, the country can’t afford to pay for all those things we Republicans have voted for. Especially during those truly lunatic Trump years, where any government spending and tax cut was, like, excellent! May he go die in a hole. Soon!

bearish

November 2nd, 2021, 1:50 am

The Texas ban on abortion is totally dependent on private citizens suing to stop them. I trust there will be a list of the names and addresses of said citizens who bring the law suits. And good luck to them, even if they belong to the klan who are long AR-15s.

Alan

November 2nd, 2021, 5:12 pm

The Texas ban on abortion is totally dependent on private citizens suing to stop them. I trust there will be a list of the names and addresses of said citizens who bring the law suits. And good luck to them, even if they belong to the klan who are long AR-15s.
Oscar Stilley

bearish

November 2nd, 2021, 10:22 pm

Oscar Stilley
Yep, he is obviously one of the good guys. Serving 15 years for tax fraud. The heart of Texas (conveniently located in Arkansas).

Alan

November 3rd, 2021, 2:12 pm

Oscar Stilley
Yep, he is obviously one of the good guys. Serving 15 years for tax fraud. The heart of Texas (conveniently located in Arkansas).

Yeah, he is an ex-lawyer, under house arrest, with way too much time on his hands. 
But, as the WSJ editorial board argues here
There’s no doubt the law is an unconstitutional violation of the Court’s abortion precedents. But the proper place to vindicate the existing right to abortion is when there is a tangible injury as the law is enforced. Under the Constitution, courts get involved only when there is a case or controversy ...
So, somebody like Stilley has to create a case to get this bad law properly taken down -- not that that's his motivation. 

Paul

November 3rd, 2021, 8:04 pm

Where are the infamous US ambulance chasers???

bearish

December 1st, 2021, 4:38 pm

It looks like Trump’s bitches on the Supreme Court are going to overturn Roe v Wade.

Alan

December 2nd, 2021, 8:59 pm

Pejoratives aside, it does look quite possible. (I would prefer they defer to Roe & Casey).
Here's a possible alternative that might work in a putative post-Roe, heartland America:
Indian Tribe May Open Abortion Clinic on Its Land
Looking at Texas, I see only a few Indian lands, and of course they would have to be interested -- but, if so,
perhaps a potential in-state solution.  

bearish

December 2nd, 2021, 9:26 pm

As jokes go, that’s not too bad! I’m deeply against right to life, especially for said bitches and those who put them there.