Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

bearish

Re: Random Republican WINGNUTS (or RRWs as they are affectionately known as)

May 3rd, 2022, 10:41 am

I have a very longstanding banking relationship with Chase (more recently, JP Morgan Chase), but if they don’t get with the program, I may feel compelled to switch to Citi. They are now being pilloried by bleading head Republican politicians for their thoughtful and generous new policy of covering necessary travel and related expenses for employees who live in states that have prohibited abortions. Maybe having a woman running a big bank isn’t such a bad idea after all.
Why are you so bloodthirsty about unborn children? Can't you afford less helpless enmies?
I would say that my bloodthirst mostly pertains to republicans.

Marsden

May 3rd, 2022, 11:05 am

Gamal sure likes to assign other people to be responsible for things that trouble him.

bearish

May 3rd, 2022, 11:48 am

He and Alex Ero. Amin is downright rational in comparison.

bearish

May 9th, 2022, 11:54 pm

So, back on topic. It’s pretty clear what the next steps are, if not necessarily their order. Once abortioned is banned in flyover country, the most likely next step is to make it a capital offense to cross a state line for the purpose of obtaining an abortion. Or to assist somebody to do so. Then, the federal ban. If you thought this had anything in the slightest to do with states rights, I have a bridge to sell you. Full on theocracy, aka GOP. Then, a total ban on contraception. None of this agenda has anything to with saving “lives”. It’s all about power over other people, in particular when they can have sex, with whom, and for what purpose. There may be useful idiots who think otherwise, but whatever. The next layer of extreme government control over people’s lives will be to make sure to know, at any point in time, who is pregnant. Because, miscarriage = prison. Perhaps for life. So there will be an app, or in the short run, just mandatory pregnancy tests. I could go on, but I’ll stop now.

Paul

May 10th, 2022, 12:39 am

It used to be "1984" as the model. You're suggesting that it's now "The Handmaids' Tale."

bearish

May 10th, 2022, 1:21 am

It used to be "1984" as the model. You're suggesting that it's now "The Handmaids' Tale."
Not my kind of literature. Imagine the level of government control to make sure nobody receives abortion pills in the mail. It will make the (amazingly stupid) “war on drugs” look like a kindergarten dust-up.

Paul

May 10th, 2022, 1:23 am

Americans are obsessed with their Constitution and Bill of Rights. They twisted a few casual mentions of “privacy” to apply to abortions(!). Clutching at straws. Amazing that it’s lasted this long.

Paul

May 10th, 2022, 1:25 am

Not my kind of literature. Imagine the level of government control to make sure nobody receives abortion pills in the mail. It will make the (amazingly stupid) “war on drugs” look like a kindergarten dust-up.
Awful book. Couldn't finish it. Season 1 on Hulu was also awful, but I stuck with it. It was based on the book I'm told. Season 2 dispensed with Atwood and was much better.

bearish

May 10th, 2022, 2:02 am

Americans are obsessed with their Constitution and Bill of Rights. They twisted a few casual mentions of “privacy” to apply to abortions(!). Clutching at straws. Amazing that it’s lasted this long.
We have a large number of religious idiots in this country. Kind of like Afghanistan, I guess. That’s why straws are critically important. I understand that you are uncomfortable with the way the civilized world works in this century. You may progress to Oxford, Mississippi, where all should be just as in the antebellum.

bearish

May 15th, 2022, 12:25 am

The NRA/GOP have another occasion to celebrate tonight! At least nine Black people were shot to death in a Buffalo, NY, supermarket by one of their own. Using a gun that he obviously shouldn’t be having, but you know, guns be good, Blacks be bad.

bearish

May 25th, 2022, 1:11 am

When it rains, it pours! Another happy event for the gun crowd! The worst school shooting since Sandy Hook, but of course that didn’t really happen, according to the Trump/QAnon crowd. I expect many totally useless thoughts and prayers over the next couple of days. And calls for mandatory carry of automatic rifles for all Texas teachers.

Marsden

May 25th, 2022, 1:42 am

Some religions require human sacrifice.

The American Firearm Cult, for example.

bearish

May 27th, 2022, 11:37 am

The NRA are having their annual celebration in Texas this weekend - for the entire family. In the ultimate act of hypocrisy they are banning guns (!) in the hall during the keynote address by Donald Trump.

bearish

June 2nd, 2022, 12:02 am

The bleading-head idiot did call for all US schools to be protected by proper military style defenses (ultra hard targets), because heaven forbid we should take the guns away from the assholes that own them.

But - hot off the press - a new reason to celebrate guns tonight! Tulsa - a place with great traditions of right wing white supremacy terrorism. Yay! Go GOP!

Marsden

June 2nd, 2022, 1:38 pm

Every NRA/Trumpublican argument in favor of guns is bullshit. The one that sounds half-plausible is the claim that guns get used defensively far more often than they are used in crimes, but that turns out to be based on surveys with no real controls for accuracy (e.g., no follow up on, "Yes, I used my gun defensively!" responses to see if they were actually in the time frame specified or if they can reasonably be counted as defensive gun uses).

If you actually want to KNOW the relative significance of defensive gun use (the NRA/Trumpublicans don't), you would conduct surveys very much like those done by Hemenway, Azrael, and Miller.

In these surveys -- conducted in 1996 and 1999 -- they randomly contacted 1905 and 2521 adults and asked them if they had used a gun defensively in the past five years and if they had been threatened with a gun in the last fiver years. Affirmative responses were followed up to collect details about the claims, and claims that were deemed illegitimate were excluded.

The results in both surveys indicated that Americans are three times more likely to be victims of gun crimes than to have used a gun defensively.

It has now been 15 1/2 hours since a mass shooting in America was reported.