Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul

Re: Biden and Harris - the first 100 days

September 1st, 2021, 7:58 pm

Looks like intent matters for your examples but not mine!! This is like being married!

bearish

September 1st, 2021, 8:27 pm

That’s a good thing, right?

Paul

September 1st, 2021, 11:26 pm

You got me there!

Alan

September 9th, 2021, 2:33 pm

Some good news re remaining stranded evacuees in Kabul
(I assume this is the flight announced, but not confirmed departed, here)

Paul

September 18th, 2021, 8:18 pm

Suppose you are quite old, but want to appear young. Is it better to:

a) move in a sprightly manner and occasionally fall over

or

b) move carefully and never fall over?

Asking for a friend/President.

bearish

September 19th, 2021, 1:35 am

or

Comparing the popular image of the most and least athletic presidents in the post FDR era (we’ll give him a pass on account of childhood polio), I’d have to go with b). Gerald Ford, an outstanding college football player, who turned down a professional career to become a college football and boxing coach, and later (as president) was a serious swimmer, skier and golfer, is remembered as a klutz because of the occasional misstep. Donald Trump, who is inclined to use a golf cart if there is a risk of more than a minute of walking, may be hated and despised for all sorts of obvious reasons, but I don’t think most people have any strong sense of his physical inabilities.

Alan

September 19th, 2021, 1:22 pm

or

or

c) marry a super-model.

Alan

November 18th, 2021, 3:45 am

`Qanon Shaman Jacob Chansley sentenced to 41 months
im-436736.jpg
im-436736.jpg (8.39 KiB) Viewed 7699 times
Oh come on -- where's the 36 months credit for entertainment value/best insurrectionist costume?

bearish

November 19th, 2021, 3:33 am

You know, you think 1/6 was just a big joke, and those who died probably would have done so anyway, and those Democrat politicians who weren’t killed will get their comeuppance soon enough. So, pretty boy Jake really should just be given the sort of slap on the wrist that naughty frat boys deserve when they misbehave. I still think this was far worse than 9/11, and nobody getting something close to a death penalty is a scandal. That, of course, includes the instigator himself.

Alan

November 19th, 2021, 7:34 pm

Yes, compared to 9/11 it was indeed a joke. If somebody came with the provable intent to murder congress people, that's a completely different story, but I haven't heard any evidence or charges along those lines. There were clearly a lot of non-violent people who just aimlessly wandered around and, IMO, deserve a small proportionate punishment for trespass or delaying congress or whatever. I would reserve the 41 months stuff for punching a capital policeman, which some did, but apparently not this guy.   

bearish

November 19th, 2021, 8:35 pm

And now they have a new role model in Kyle Rittenhouse, who goes free to shoot a few more rowdy liberals. In self defense, of course. Wherever he can track them down.

Paul

November 19th, 2021, 10:54 pm

And now they have a new role model in Kyle Rittenhouse, who goes free to shoot a few more rowdy liberals. In self defense, of course. Wherever he can track them down.
It was one of those unfortunate freak, once-every-century, events that happen all the time when people are allowed to carry guns. 

I was once chased along a London street by a man waving a bag at me, and then he took out of said bag...a can of deodorant which he started to spray at me. He was shortly after arrested for assaulting someone else (and that's why he was chasing me, because I intervened in that!). We found out in court that he had just been released from a mental hospital. The deodorant was a clue. (That's why I mention it, because the first person killed by Rittenhouse had come from a hospital I think.) As I was being chased I ran into a group of youths who turned on me, assuming I was the aggressor, even though I was the one being chased, and they almost pushed me in front of a car. Happy days! Now if I'd had a rifle...

I have many, many stories about being assaulted. The vast majority being because I did the good Samaritan thing.

Paul

November 20th, 2021, 8:38 pm

There does seem to be a school of thought that KR should be locked up because certain people have made him their role model. I think that’s a bit of a stretch.

Collector

November 21st, 2021, 6:01 pm

anyone read the book of the Shaman? Deep State 

"I bought this book because, well... we all know why I bought this book. Who knows how long until Amazon takes it down. " Chance Bond

what did he do wrong except having horns on a helmet that should be without horns? (In Viking court he would only get 12 months for that I think)

bearish

November 22nd, 2021, 12:48 am

There does seem to be a school of thought that KR should be locked up because certain people have made him their role model. I think that’s a bit of a stretch.
He should be locked up because he brought his assault rifle (across a state line, for whatever that is worth) to kill people, which he proceeded to do. The mere fact that Republicans idolize him is not his problem. That’s ours.