Cuchulainn

Re: Biden and Harris - the first 100 days

February 6th, 2021, 10:57 am

The drums are a bit quiet at the moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AqESKOaeGk

Alan

March 5th, 2021, 7:50 pm

Sergio Arellano of Phoenix, Ariz., said he had a story he liked to tell about the moment he registered as a Republican. When he was an 18-year-old Army infantryman on home leave, he went to a July 4 event and spotted the voter registration table. He asked the woman sitting there: What’s the difference between Republicans and Democrats?

Democrats, he recalled her saying, are for the poor. Republicans are for the rich.

“Well that made it easy — I didn’t want to be poor, I wanted to be rich, so I chose Republican,” Mr. Arellano said. “Obviously she figured I would identify with the poor. There’s an assumption that you’re starting out in this country, you don’t have any money, you will identify with the poor. But what I wanted was to make my own money.”

From a nice piece in today's NYTimes: A Vexing Question for Democrats: What Drives Latino Men to Republicans?

Biden wants an eight-year path to citizenship for the 11-25 million undocumented immigrants currently in the US (nobody really has a clue as to the number). In any event, Republicans should say: "throw in some more border security and WE ACCEPT!"   :D

Alan

April 12th, 2021, 1:15 am

Why not pack the Supreme Court? Justice Breyer explains in a fascinating lecture.
(Harvard Law School’s annual Scalia lecture on April 6, 2021)

katastrofa

April 30th, 2021, 2:38 pm

In the mean time, the red dragon drinks from two rivers: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/2 ... -in-tehran
The predictable outcome of American sanction politics. Add to that Russian with their maskirovka talents, and brace yourselves for another cold war.

Cuchulainn

May 17th, 2021, 6:31 pm

US blocks UN statement on halting Israel-Palestinian violence

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0517 ... rael-gaza/

The United States has today blocked - for the third time in a week - the adoption of a joint UN Security Council statement calling for a halt to Israeli-Palestinian violence and the protection of civilians, diplomats said.

bearish

May 20th, 2021, 1:30 am

The Biden administration is being pretty useless here. Not pure evil, the way the Trump/Kushner regime was, but that is not a good yardstick. They can do better!

Copenhagentolondon
Location: Somewhere between Kastrup and Luton screaming at Ryanair staff

May 20th, 2021, 8:31 am

I sadly don't think it's only the US who is getting their pockets filled by the israelis, last week in Denmark we had a protest which was actually violently removed by our police, this only happens once in a blue moon when the police/government has been manhandled on the protesting matter. It seems to me the danish government is also accepting the israel-palestinian violence.

Also nice post on linkedin cuchulainn
Fish fingers and custard?

Cuchulainn

May 20th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Thank you, CtoL.

Cuchulainn

May 20th, 2021, 2:43 pm

I sadly don't think it's only the US who is getting their pockets filled by the israelis, last week in Denmark we had a protest which was actually violently removed by our police, this only happens once in a blue moon when the police/government has been manhandled on the protesting matter. It seems to me the danish government is also accepting the israel-palestinian violence.

Also nice post on linkedin cuchulainn
It's the "national guilt" syndrome. Same in most European countries (e.g. NL, Magyar) except Eire (no WWII, it was officially The Emergency (no kidding)).

Copenhagentolondon

May 20th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Yeah, but just like your point. It doesn’t really justify, apartheid state with a guilt trip excuse

Cuchulainn

May 20th, 2021, 5:29 pm

Yeah, but just like your point. It doesn’t really justify, apartheid state with a guilt trip excuse
I agree; but the ploy is they will call you (generic) an anti-Semite and draw on history. Some (right wing) ex-Wilmotters used this trick.
Most people here know; my uncle served in the (British) Palestine Police Force to try to stop Begin's terrorist Irgun blowing up civilians, culmination in KIng David hotel massacre. There was a coup and the British scarpered, My uncle was out of a job.

Copenhagentolondon

May 20th, 2021, 6:41 pm

That's rough, I don't have as much personal history with this. I simply see it as immoral and I react.
Seems we ended up having the same idea on simply googling "apartheid" and "israel". Ending up with a very useful source and article

Cuchulainn

May 20th, 2021, 7:21 pm

That's rough, I don't have as much personal history with this. I simply see it as immoral and I react.
Seems we ended up having the same idea on simply googling "apartheid" and "israel". Ending up with a very useful source and article
Indeed! My memory banks are still with me and my "official" remark came from LTM on TV about HRW.

AlJazeera is good
CNN is still obssessed with Trump
BBC World is useless
CGTN, well

Unfortunately, they don't feed us Europeans FoX news or RT these days.

Copenhagentolondon

May 20th, 2021, 7:34 pm

Yeah, for me, it mostly reduces to an understanding that the news are simply there to keep up distracted, either annoyed with a minor law change or satisfied with how decent our lives are compared to starving africans.

Israel is guilt tripping europeans over ww2, china is signing debt for everyone, so they can own us at some point and so on. The news doesn't show this because it might make people anxious

Cuchulainn

May 20th, 2021, 7:51 pm

My concern is their manipulating the inverter of my solar panel installation. It is useful MIS data.

// before WWII there were 100,000 Jews living in Amsterdam. 19 or something returned.
I lived in A'dam for 25 years and I picked up many Yiddish word as part of my daily vocabulary. I can read and understand it.