Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Alan

Re: Biden and Harris - the first 100 days

August 22nd, 2021, 2:24 pm

Great story from Aug 20 wsj:
Oklahoma Woman to the Kabul Rescue: Allyson Reneau took it upon herself to rescue 10 Afghan girls.
AfghanAllGirlRobotics.jpg
Afghanistan's all-girl robotics team work on their new robotic project aimed at detecting embedded mines, at their lab in Herat, Afghanistan, April 26.
PHOTO: JALIL REZAYEE/SHUTTERSTOCK

bearish

August 22nd, 2021, 5:21 pm

That is a very small happy(ish) tale in an otherwise dark period. USA Today had a story last night (quoting a Pence aide) about how that little piece of nazi shit Stephen Miller systematically destroyed any efforts to obtain special visas for US allies in Afghanistan and Iraq. Because, they’re like brown people, and we don’t want any more of them around here.

bearish

August 24th, 2021, 11:03 pm

In case there was any remaining doubt, the plan of 21st century warfare should be: get in, kill as many enemies as necessary (whether that numbers in the dozens or millions is context dependent), and then get the hell out of there. Under no circumstances try to educate the savages to your missionary ways.

ISayMoo

August 26th, 2021, 6:40 am

"The Biden admin. and U.S. military forces continue to conduct the most successful evacuation of a war lost by the United States."

Alan

August 31st, 2021, 3:03 am

Future quant pleads guilty for Jan 6 

What was her insurrectionist crime? Grabbing and carrying around a "Members Only" sign.
Those capitol rioters were, if nothing else, a quirky bunch.

Is it just me, or do others see a little bit of a "Lady Liberty" vibe?  :D
01_statue_of_liberty (1).png

gatarek

August 31st, 2021, 8:16 pm

Under no circumstances try to educate the savages to your missionary ways.
I like it. Americans should not teach Afghanis how to run Afghanistan, the Dutch should stay away from Hungary and Skandinavians should not choose presidents for America.

bearish

August 31st, 2021, 9:02 pm

Under no circumstances try to educate the savages to your missionary ways.
I like it. Americans should not teach Afghanis how to run Afghanistan, the Dutch should stay away from Hungary and Skandinavians should not choose presidents for America.
The one caveat to that is that Hungary (and Poland) managed to insert themselves into the EU, which does give the Dutch, Germans, etc. a legitimate say when their governments go off the deep end.

gatarek

August 31st, 2021, 9:16 pm

You will never learn. 

bearish

August 31st, 2021, 9:20 pm

Future quant pleads guilty for Jan 6 

What was her insurrectionist crime? Grabbing and carrying around a "Members Only" sign.
Those capitol rioters were, if nothing else, a quirky bunch.

Is it just me, or do others see a little bit of a "Lady Liberty" vibe?  :D

01_statue_of_liberty (1).png
“Future quant” indeed. I’m afraid a UK dropout with a federal record is far more likely to be found working as an exotic dancer than in the financial services industry. Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

bearish

September 1st, 2021, 2:40 am

But more seriously, Republicans now are riding hard on the agenda that nothing happened on 1/6. Pretty girl holding a sign! Looking like lady liberty! How cute! Meanwhile, on Earth 1, this was far worse than 9/11, and the retributions ought to be far stronger than what we brought to bear on Afghanistan, Iraq, and whoever else happened to get in the way.

Alan

September 1st, 2021, 6:07 pm

so harsh -- I'd give her a day in jail.

Paul

September 1st, 2021, 6:51 pm

Some of us consider this the worst attack on the US since 1941. In that context, eight months and a day aren’t really all that different.
9/11, assassinations, attempted assassinations, Afghanistan, Vietnam, various embassies, etc. And a young person carrying around a sign is worse?

The "Some of us" is a bit disturbing!

bearish

September 1st, 2021, 7:00 pm

An armed mob forcing their way into the US Capitol (killing and maiming people in the process), with the intent of overturning a lawful election and making Trump president for life? In my mind that beats a gaggle of Saudi camel humpers flying into buildings. Failing in their mission isn’t much of an excuse.

Paul

September 1st, 2021, 7:11 pm

I think most of my list included an element of overturning or attempting to overturn elections or governments! Picking one, killing a President pretty much, well, stops him being President!

You might want to check out talkspace.com. Michael Phelps highly recommends it!

bearish

September 1st, 2021, 7:53 pm

It is certainly true that a presidential assassination terminates a presidency, but in US history this has never led to anything other than the Vice President taking over, ensuring a fairly high degree of continuity in policy and control. We’ve had one successful and at least one major attempt since Pearl Harbor, but they weren’t nearly as consequential as a rejection of the 2020 presidential election results would have been. As for your other examples, I don’t see that any of them particularly pertains to control of the US government.