Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Alan

Re: Biden and Harris - the first 100 days

November 13th, 2020, 4:06 pm

I don't think you're saying much I disagree with. In general, I believe people are adapting, most are being cautious, and where appropriate, wearing masks, social distancing, etc. Herd immunity will come from vaccinations, and I suspect the demand is going to be huge. A key problem will be the logistics. This may be non-trivial, as the initial (Pfizer-Biontech) vaccine requires shipment at -90F!  

Between now and "then", what are smart Biden admin policy responses? If they focus on supporting the logistics -- great -- that would be smart! The wsj editorial argues that another nation-wide "full-scale" lockdown would be a huge mistake -- more than dumb. I wholly agree, and for the reasons stated in the editorial.  Will the Biden response be smart or dumb? 

p.s. Disneyland closed is indeed not the end of the world and kind of moot at this point. But, it is emblematic of greater nanny-state tendencies from the left -- in this case CA Gov Newsom. Right now, (after 3 previous plans) he has imposed a county-by-county "4-tier" reopening strategy. Given the current state of the pandemic and vaccine outlook, I can live with that scheme for another several months. If the California rules survive whatever Biden has in mind, I will actually be relieved.   

Cuchulainn

November 13th, 2020, 4:58 pm

This may be non-trivial, as the initial (Pfizer-Biontech) vaccine requires shipment at -90F!  
I always thought warm temperature was in Fahrenheit and "below zero" (!) in Celsius?
How will the vaccine be stored in Zuid Afrika?

80% of vaccines have been ordered by world's richest countries..

Alan

November 13th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Yes, disparate distribution problems and rich/poor nation disparity is a big issue -- Africa for example, as you point out, has both.  

Hopefully, several candidate vaccines will make it to approval. Moderna's apparently requires less extreme cooling. Others, even less cooling. Having multiple vaccines, with different characteristics, is potentially one of the great success stories here.

Also, I saw somewhere that Pfizer-Biontech is working on a powder form, not needing the cooling.

Current Pfizer-Biontech vaccine cooling requirements: -70C (-94F) during shipment. Apparently less, once delivered, if administered within a few days of delivery. I can visualize the lines at the pharmacy whenever  a "new batch" arrives! It will be like the old days of ticket sale line-ups for concerts everybody knew would sell-out. Or "box-store" line-ups in March. Wait in line for a couple hours and somebody will come out to announce, "Sorry folks, we're sold-out today". Ideally, there would be online appointments -- we'll see. Reminds of:

Chili Peppers: "Standing in line ..."

trackstar
Topic Author

November 13th, 2020, 9:42 pm

I think the federal mandate vs states' rights question will be sorted out carefully and Biden will probably not use up a lot of political capital trying to take a really hard line on national lock down. It's not enforceable anyway.

On the flip side though, I'm not interested in signing up for any fast track, rapid prototype, half tested vaccine, thank you.

I have never gotten a flu shot either and I have never come down with the flu. Not even a bad cold since 19XX. (A long time ago when I went caving in spring run-off season.)  Very cold and wet day in Albany, NY when the cave filled with water and our whole group was eventually rescued by the local firefighters. He he. Lucky to survive actually, but I did get pneumonia that time

I eat my veggies. And oatmeal. And spend time outside in nature.  : )

So, I am very happy to stay inside the castle here, with the fireplace and Roger Penrose's big book. It will take me years to read and digest that, even if I never "waste time" in my favorite local billiards hall again.  : D  

But keep CoVax 1.0 away from me!
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

Alan

November 13th, 2020, 10:25 pm

Each to their own. 

I am a big fan of live music and the likely path to reopening there is going to be proof, so I'll get a vaccination in Dec if I qualify. 

I also take the flu vaccine every year.

bearish

November 13th, 2020, 10:30 pm

I finally got my flu shot last week, a little later than usual. I figure all the anti-Covid precautions will help keep most coronaviruses away, but it seems unlikely to hurt. And really, you don’t want to get the flu (or even a cold) this year. People will treat you like a leper!

trackstar
Topic Author

November 13th, 2020, 11:41 pm

Each to their own. 

I am a big fan of live music and the likely path to reopening there is going to be proof, so I'll get a vaccination in Dec if I qualify. 

I also take the flu vaccine every year.
well, it is true that there are things we miss and agreed on live music.

This fall my sister and I were going to see Wardruna in Boston (small venue, great seats) and Heilung in Red Rocks, Colorado. Incredible location for them and a fun trip for us. Obviously those shows were cancelled, but both groups have bumped their tour dates up to 2021, so maybe... : )

in the meantime, I keep this in heart and mind: Wardruna - Solringen

Red Rocks Amphitheater, Colorado

Cuchulainn, you will know these two songs -- an epic show - I saw that tour, but not out there. : )

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart - U2 Live at Red Rocks 1983
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

bearish

November 24th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Well there is an asshole for you!

Paul

November 24th, 2020, 6:58 pm

The comments below the video are all very supportive.

Alan

November 24th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Exactly.

Restaurants Question L.A. County's Shutdown of Outdoor Dining

Restaurants have spent thousands of dollars each to buy tents, heaters, PPE, etc for safe outdoor dining. And now they are being shut-down -- again. And for what? Where is the science connecting them to the surge? Of course, it doesn't exist!. The assholes in this drama are the mayors and governors crushing these small businesses with arbitrary, one-size-fits-all edicts that change weekly.   

bearish

November 24th, 2020, 9:37 pm

I definitely get the point that we have 70 million assholes in the country, and that is a problem we may not live down. Not the 84 million claimed by the lead commentator - that would include a lot that only exist in Trump’s mind. You know all those people whose votes machines designed by Hugo Chavez and funded by George Soros mysteriously changed from Trump to Biden. At least 30 million “Patriots” believe that, because they were told to believe it. Quite possibly by their minister.

SWilson

November 24th, 2020, 9:59 pm

Splitting (also called black-and-white thinking or all-or-nothing thinking) is the failure in a person's thinking to bring together the dichotomy of both positive and negative qualities of the self and others into a cohesive, realistic whole. It is a common defense mechanism.  The individual tends to think in extremes (i.e., an individual's actions and motivations are all good or all bad with no middle ground).

Paul

November 24th, 2020, 10:09 pm

Does that apply to Trumpians or to bearish? Genuine question!

SWilson

November 24th, 2020, 10:20 pm

In this case, bearish.  I can't call 70+M people splitters, then I would be a splitter myself. 
ABOUT WILMOTT

Wilmott

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...