Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

bearish

Re: Biden and Harris - the first 100 days

November 24th, 2020, 11:50 pm

There is of course an element of hyperbole involved, although certainly not to the degree employed by Rudy Giuliani when he raves about voting fraud in court. And, I cannot think of a single positive quality in Trump. And even if I could (OK, he doesn’t sweat much for a fat guy), they would be so totally swamped by the bad ones, most of which are on display at the moment. I have no problem identifying negative qualities in myself, for whatever that’s worth.

Alan

November 26th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Nice pushback from the Supremes on Cuomo's lockdown orders re churches, synagogues, and mosques:  
"It is time — past time — to make plain that, while the pandemic poses many grave challenges, there is no world in which the Constitution tolerates color-coded executive edicts that reopen liquor stores and bike shops but shutter churches, synagogues, and mosques,” wrote Gorsuch, who was also named to the court by President Trump. "So, at least according to the Governor, it may be unsafe to go to church, but it is always fine to pick up another bottle of wine, shop for a new bike, or spend the afternoon exploring your distal points and meridians," he continued, according to a tweet from The Economist correspondent Steven Mazie. "Who knew public health would so perfectly align with secular convenience?"
Since it is Thanksgiving day in the US, I am giving thanks for a rational Court.

bearish

November 26th, 2020, 3:04 pm

Nice pushback from the Supremes on Cuomo's lockdown orders re churches, synagogues, and mosques:  
"It is time — past time — to make plain that, while the pandemic poses many grave challenges, there is no world in which the Constitution tolerates color-coded executive edicts that reopen liquor stores and bike shops but shutter churches, synagogues, and mosques,” wrote Gorsuch, who was also named to the court by President Trump. "So, at least according to the Governor, it may be unsafe to go to church, but it is always fine to pick up another bottle of wine, shop for a new bike, or spend the afternoon exploring your distal points and meridians," he continued, according to a tweet from The Economist correspondent Steven Mazie. "Who knew public health would so perfectly align with secular convenience?"
Since it is Thanksgiving day in the US, I am giving thanks for a rational Court.

I absolutely think it should be prohibited to crowd into liquor stores shouting, singing and generally spraying spittle over other people. Obviously, the gatherings in question (like Trump super spreader rallies) would not be a problem in the slightest if these people would just stick their own kin. But as we have seen repeatedly, including in NYC, they don’t. They somehow find ways to mingle with the rest of us and have contributed greatly (along with zero national leadership) to the pandemic now being totally out of control.

Alan

November 26th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Honest question -- I assume you live in NYC -- are you considering leaving?

bearish

November 26th, 2020, 6:21 pm

Honest question -- I assume you live in NYC -- are you considering leaving?

I do, and I’m not, at least in the short run. Certainly no interest in decamping to the local suburbs. Do I want to retire here? Not really, but my wife probably does, so that’ll be a point of discussion in a few years’ time.

Alan

November 26th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Good luck with the negotiations -- and Happy Thanksgiving!

bearish

November 26th, 2020, 9:41 pm

Thank you - and Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Paul

November 26th, 2020, 11:36 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Whatever their political colours. 

trackstar
Topic Author

November 27th, 2020, 12:12 am

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Whatever their political colours. 
Thanks very much - you too!

It was a cold and rainy day, so I took advantage of the border lockdown (no guests at all) and slept. 

Best Thanksgiving ever! : D
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

Cuchulainn

November 27th, 2020, 4:13 pm

katastrofa

December 18th, 2020, 12:48 am

Deb Haaland to serve as Biden's interior secretary

Maybe it did take the Trump lesson to put the right people in power.

bearish

December 18th, 2020, 2:27 am

Deb Haaland to serve as Biden's interior secretary

Maybe it did take the Trump lesson to put the right people in power.

Two observations about her, beyond the congratulations. First, she is as Norwegian as she is Native American. That is of course not a bad thing. Second, Biden is playing a little fast and loose with a very skinny majority in the House. She will need to be replaced, and there is a greater than zero chance that the replacement will be a Republican. Which would be bad, if not tragic.

katastrofa

December 18th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Phenotypically, it's 1:0 for Native Americans :-)
It would be a shame. Not many experienced politicians with progressive views like her.

Cuchulainn

January 21st, 2021, 10:24 am

What's the story?

Cuchulainn

January 21st, 2021, 5:23 pm

Biden inheriting nonexistent coronavirus vaccine distribution plan and must start 'from scratch,' sources say
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/21/poli ... index.html

Too much golf.
ABOUT WILMOTT

Wilmott

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On