Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Re: Are you ready for POST BREXIT?

February 18th, 2021, 10:04 pm

People must wait 10 years before assessing Brexit, insists Dominic Raab

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit ... ow-7324840

Raab, appearing on The Andrew Marr Show, insisted that businesses take a "10-year view" to the troubles sparked by Brexit, before blaming the European Union for new bureaucracy.

So, "shut yer gob" BTW he didn't give a timeline for blaming the Tories.

bearish

February 19th, 2021, 1:44 pm

I’m reminded of the old Johnny Carson line: “Don’t judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Because by then, he’ll be a mile away and have no shoes.”

Alan

February 19th, 2021, 2:31 pm

The UK should have a referendum on the gig economy. Only way to get it back. That's what was done in California -- and it worked!  Ditto for the EU after they (predictably?) try to kill it also

katastrofa

February 19th, 2021, 2:57 pm

Given only a third of small businesses make it to the 10-year mark, this pretty much shows to whom Raab is talking.

Paul

February 19th, 2021, 4:28 pm

It's already mostly done what it set out to do. So it can be assessed right now as a success! 

bearish

February 19th, 2021, 5:45 pm

I think you are right. It did accomplish what Bannon, Farage and JRM set out to do. As for those who voted in favor, that’s probably more of a mixed bag.

Paul

February 19th, 2021, 6:24 pm

I don't see how. It was a vote to leave the EU and we left the EU. (So I don't even know why I said "mostly" earlier.)

But my impression is that EUrophiles have a story going around in their heads about a) what they wanted to achieve (fair enough) and b) what Brexiteers ought to want (not fair enough and also impossible to know).

However, I no longer expect Remoaners to understand or to respond.

Here is one thing that is really simple to grasp: We were told over, and over and over again, how awful Brexit would be. And yet we still voted for it. So it almost certainly cannot be judged a failure, except in the EUrophiles' heads with their alternative view of reality.

Paul

May 4th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Michel Barnier has a book to sell. I hope it's as honest as his recent comments about the EU: The disaster of the vaccine; The distrust of capitalism (I paraphrase that one); That maybe countries should be allowed to make their own decisions (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-negotiator-michel-barnier-admits-to-eu-vaccine-rollout-mistakes-12296579

Cuch and bearish, will you be buying copies?!

Copenhagentolondon
Location: Somewhere between Kastrup and Luton screaming at Ryanair staff

May 4th, 2021, 7:21 pm

Ugh, interesting topic.  I don't know if I'm going to be a EUrophile, in that I see Brexit was followed to the door, but now Boris has turned around and wants to return to the Union? I'm not entirely sure, as the last I heard he had mentioned leaving wouldn't be stable for the UK economy. But I could imagine it benefitting britain hugely, in that there's no more bickering with the rest of EU over decisions such as vaccine purchase.
I think there's a point to be made in that Brexit will perhaps benefit Britain, definitely the above article goes to show that a bit.

For example: I'm expecting my vaccine in September, living in Denmark, our government was and still is scrambling to get enough vaccines. Our government went as far as to make a deal with Israel and Austria to make a factory in Israel for vaccine production.
Fish fingers and custard?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 4th, 2021, 7:34 pm

Cuch and bearish, will you be buying copies?!
I don't buy books llke that. And noteJRM's 12 Victorians although I was tempted. Instead Lords of the Desert. it's a cracker.

Paul

May 6th, 2021, 4:26 pm

Views on the French threats against Jersey, anyone? 

Copenhagentolondon
Location: Somewhere between Kastrup and Luton screaming at Ryanair staff

May 6th, 2021, 5:23 pm

I didn’t realize the French and British were in that big of a conflict. But than again, the Danes are after all francophiles. I think it’s ludicrous.
Fish fingers and custard?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 6th, 2021, 5:36 pm

Views on the French threats against Jersey, anyone? 
"Ah blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur Keeeng! You and all your silly English Knnnnnnnn-ighuts!!!"

Paul

May 6th, 2021, 8:15 pm

I didn’t realize the French and British were in that big of a conflict. But than again, the Danes are after all francophiles. I think it’s ludicrous.
Jersey is a lovely little island. You can still see the signs of the German occupation. But, yes, the thought of being occupied by the French is quite hilarious. Although it's still best to stay clear of South Kensington.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 6th, 2021, 8:22 pm

The UK should have a referendum on the gig economy. Only way to get it back. That's what was done in California -- and it worked!  Ditto for the EU after they (predictably?) try to kill it also
gig economy is a joke.It's a modern-day version of feudalism.
90% of population working for 4 dollars an hour.