Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Re: Are you ready for POST BREXIT?

July 26th, 2022, 3:11 pm

I'd like to stay and taste my first champagne
So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye
I leave and heave a sigh and say goodbye -- Goodbye!
I'm glad to go, I cannot tell a lie

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -paperwork

This is not funny, at all.

A British wine wholesaler who last year criticised Brexit as the biggest threat to his business in 30 years has decided to leave the UK after post-Brexit paperwork made a £150,000 hole in revenue.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 4th, 2022, 2:44 pm

“The peers go on to criticise the UK’s approach to international science collaborations, with massive cuts to overseas aid coming out of the blue and a failure to join Europe’s £80bn Horizon Europe programme because of a row over Brexit in Northern Ireland. “Cutting ourselves off from the biggest international collaborative programme is a remarkably inept thing to do,” Krebs said. The UK got far more money out of the previous Horizon programme than it put in.

The Tory leadership candidates, Liz Truss and [color=var(--color-action)]Rishi Sunak, had been “virtually silent” on science and technology, Krebs said, raising further doubts about the government’s commitment to the superpower goal. “This report, and its conclusions and recommendations, should be on the desk of the next prime minister as soon as he or she gets into the job,” he said. “What worries me – though it’s not something the committee looked into – is with the emphasis on tax cutting, some of these commitments to increase science spend might be quietly dropped or dialled down.[/color]

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 7th, 2022, 1:59 pm

From the horse's mouth 

Paul

August 7th, 2022, 5:07 pm

From “Led by Donkeys”!!! If you take them seriously then I worry for you!

But it is very sweet of you to be so concerned for us Brits.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 7th, 2022, 5:42 pm

It's no joking matter.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

October 3rd, 2022, 5:58 pm

I have some Sterlling notes (paper and plastic) of different denominations from 3 of the 4 home countries. 
Is it possible to exchange them for Euros?

Paul

June 22nd, 2023, 10:54 am

From the Academy of Ideas:

In an era of increasing polarisation and continental protectionism, the gradual erosion of the British media's coverage of European news and events is a concerning development.

Despite the United Kingdom's departure from the European Union, maintaining an informed perspective on European affairs remains as crucial as ever. The dwindling attention given by the British press to European news is not only detrimental to public understanding about Britain’s role in the world, but also to the debate on the costs and benefits of the UK’s historic decision to leave the EU.

Perhaps it is understandable that editors who leaned towards remaining in the EU (and those who would lean towards rejoining the EU) are unlikely to want to cover police officers beating protesters in Paris, or EU governments using spyware to snoop on journalists or political opponents. Similarly, corruption scandals in the EU institutions, or the endless tragic deaths of migrants in the Mediterranean Sea, or the ongoing political instability in Spain or Bulgaria are stories that are more likely to be ignored by those who still pine for Brussels.

Focusing on national events is, of course, the bread and butter of British journalism, but doing so in a vacuum free of the wider European and global context can warp perceptions and entrench opinions. It is a dereliction of the media’s duty to keep citizens adequately informed. It’s also odd, given that many in Medialand like to think of themselves as well-informed global citizens, unlike the ill-educated oiks who voted to leave the EU. If Europe really does matter, why aren’t we hearing more about what goes on there?

Since Brexit, the British media has noticeably reduced its coverage of events across the Channel. In the past, European events and crises, and the subsequent national and EU responses, would receive extensive coverage: think back to the Euro-crisis or the migration crisis. Many such important topics now receive only cursory attention, barely breaking through the national psychodramas surrounding Boris and his parties, Philip Schofield or the Sussexes. This limited reporting deprives citizens of information critical to meaningful discussion and hobbles their ability to hold the UK government accountable for the significant decisions that it takes.

The British media's dwindling interest in European elections and politics has also harmed British readers’ understanding about the political landscape across Europe. Elections in EU member states once received substantial coverage, but are now often relegated to just brief mentions of the result completely devoid of any deeper commentary or analysis. As a result, the British public is uninformed about how policy debates that mirror those in the UK are developing in similar European countries. This neglect hampers the ability to form a comprehensive perspective, as our ability to compare helps us cut through the spin and hyperbole endemic to national political debates.

Luckily I have friends in the EU so I know what a basketcase it's turning into!

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 7th, 2023, 8:57 pm

Good news (gift horse and all that..)

UK expected to re-join Horizon science scheme
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-66731164

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 7th, 2023, 9:12 pm

Of course, the next step for the UK is a charm offensive to bring all those clever European scientists over.

Paul

September 8th, 2023, 6:11 am

I remember getting grants from the EU. Crazy amount of paperwork that no one ever read. Then heaps of cash. Where did it all come from? How was it all spent? Happy days.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 8th, 2023, 6:15 pm

I remember getting grants from the EU. Crazy amount of paperwork that no one ever read. Then heaps of cash. Where did it all come from? How was it all spent? Happy days.
Just tick the boxes.
The most cumbersome part was converting the different denominations to Guilders. 

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 31st, 2024, 9:30 am

It's Spring again, I'll sing again, Tulips from Amsterdam.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/2024/01/dutch- ... n-britain/

Paul

January 31st, 2024, 12:08 pm

Ah, tulips...a symbol of love and joy. Also, unrealistic expectations and overconfidence, followed by a deep and painful crash back to earth. Oh, to be a teenager again.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

February 1st, 2024, 12:20 pm

Ah,  Max Bygraves. London Palladium.