Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: #iamjackdorseyandiapprovethismessage

January 17th, 2021, 6:52 pm

The Origins of the 'Globalist' Slur

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ur/555479/

The Nazis published a children’s book of the Protocols that they required in the curriculum of every primary school in Germany. The Nazi newspaper, Der Stürmer (derived from the German word for “Storm”) spread the Blood Libel. Hitler’s Mein Kampf, his narcissistic autobiography and manifesto for his battle against the Jewish plot to rule the world, copied his conspiracy theories from the Protocols.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 17th, 2021, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Topic Author

January 17th, 2021, 6:58 pm

Revealed: Tory MPs and commentators who joined banned app Parler

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... app-parler

At least 14 Conservative MPs, including several ministers, cabinet minister Michael Gove and a number of prominent Tory commentators joined Parler, the social media platform favoured by the far right that was forced offline last week for hosting threats of violence and racist slurs.

BTW what's a parley? ... parley vous etc.??
Should be in the Bad Reporting thread. "Banned" by whom? Is there some law that Parler and/or those MPs broke? As far as I know if was three private citizens: JD, JB and MZ. Not even three UK citizens!

I've banned a few people in my time (not as many as people would like though!). I assume that they were consequently hounded by the media. No?!?!

trackstar

January 17th, 2021, 8:11 pm

I've banned a few people in my time (not as many as people would like though!). I assume that they were consequently hounded by the media. No?!?!
As someone who arguably deserved to be banned, at least in earlier years, I will say thanks for the free speech platform and apologies for past misuse of forum assets. Hopefully more good than harm was done. 

I'd also note that I conscientiously did leave a few times, for days, weeks, even a few months, and there was no great increase of On Topic material posted here. But it might be worth testing the hypothesis again - if we stop posting in the OT, would there be more quant content here? Or is everyone who wants to work on actual QF, applied math, and programming problems doing so at StackExchange or the like now? The competing Quant forum has suffered similar attrition and they seem not to have an admin that cleans up after the real spam bots: Want a lawnmower that will write college essays for you? 

Different tangent: the buffalo-horned "Shaman" we have seen all over the media for the past week looks like someone who would attend Burning Man.  It is a very strange mix of cultures on the right nowadays.

Cuchulainn

January 17th, 2021, 8:45 pm

Like the NJ commuter driving home from work over George Washington Bridge...
New Yorker "you'll  be back".
I used to take 59th to Queens when I worked in LI City docklands. as they say, the old days.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xhJcQEfD5s&ind ... FiItr2EJiH

trackstar

January 17th, 2021, 9:37 pm

Not really leaving now - just moderation in all things. The struggle with ppauper for the soul of the OT was epic and unforgettable! But if I had it all to do over again, I'd get a PhD instead. Still BS Piled Higher and Deeper, but with a fancy piece of paper to prove it. 

On Jack Dorsey - looked him up - 44 years old - just a kid still. People criticize, but what would each of us have done in his shoes?  Let it rip? Again, this is the first time we have ever seen scenarios like this play out on such a scale.  And as I mentioned before, Angela Merkel can say whatever she wants about the private sector; in Germany they have control mechanisms inside the government for certain kinds of speech - company/platform has to take it down within 48 hours of notification or get a 50 million Euro fine (for each instance!) Not scalable if they should have a big event or some radical movement arise and as I also said, it would be very tough to push this sort of legislation through Congress here. FCC regulations are one thing, but... Again, I think we will see some of this march up the steps to the Supreme Court in the months to come.

Cuchulainn

February 2nd, 2021, 4:24 pm

Dolly Parton turned down Trump's Presidential Medal of Freedom offer - twice

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0 ... dom-offer/

bearish

February 2nd, 2021, 5:25 pm

Dolly Parton turned down Trump's Presidential Medal of Freedom offer - twice

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0 ... dom-offer/

Twice! One for each ..., well never mind.