Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul
Topic Author

#iamjackdorseyandiapprovethismessage

January 15th, 2021, 7:58 pm

Google, Apple, Amazon together kill off Twitter competitor and free-speech forum Parler.

Twitter bans Trump permanently.

Facebook and Instagram ban Trump until January 21st. (I.e. only while he is the democratically elected President. If he's inciting violence then he should be banned permanently or until he gets treatment, no?)

#iamjackdorseyandiapprovethismessage

bearish

Re: #iamjackdorseyandiapprovethismessage

January 15th, 2021, 9:34 pm

Your parenthetical remark “If he’s inciting violence...” suggests rather strongly that you didn’t listen to his speech.

Paul
Topic Author

January 15th, 2021, 9:40 pm

If the sun rises in the east then I'll have a cup of tea.

I cannot comment on the legality of what he has said, but I can ask a question about the consequences of the interpretation, no?

trackstar

January 15th, 2021, 10:33 pm

A possibly useful resource for this thread:

First Amendment U.S. Constitution - Legal Information Institute Cornell Law School

This gives the original text and has many links to clauses and case law. Lots of material to digest, if interested.

Some of the relevant subcategories are: Government SpeechForums, and The Brandenburg Test (1969), for starters.

Not taking sides, but providing information. 

trackstar

January 16th, 2021, 4:02 am

So, on the lighter side - did you hear about Parlor? Not Parler, I do mean ParlOr.

It seems that many people have mistyped in their quest and this chat site has gotten a huge bump.

BUT, you might not want to be hanging around there if your wife or girlfriend is in the room... : D

Confused users in search of Parler push the app 'Parlor' to top of app store charts - Mashable

gatarek

January 16th, 2021, 12:01 pm

Cuchulainn

January 16th, 2021, 2:11 pm

Paul
Topic Author

January 16th, 2021, 9:00 pm

trackstar

January 17th, 2021, 3:06 am

Another resource for this thread - List of think tanks in the United States

From here, you will find a spectrum of political opinions - though not representing the extreme left or right in themselves, some places are studying such groups. Others are making proposals and writing white papers. 

Good surfing!

Paul
Topic Author

January 17th, 2021, 5:17 am

“White papers” is oldspeak. Jack wouldn’t approve.

trackstar

January 17th, 2021, 5:45 am

Just for you: the AEI, the Cato, and the Hoover Institution!

I also listened to coverage on NPR for awhile today; what is the BBC up to these days?

Cuchulainn

January 17th, 2021, 9:26 am

I also listened to coverage on NPR for awhile today; what is the BBC up to these days?
Sweet FA

Cuchulainn

January 17th, 2021, 1:17 pm

Revealed: Tory MPs and commentators who joined banned app Parler

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... app-parler

At least 14 Conservative MPs, including several ministers, cabinet minister Michael Gove and a number of prominent Tory commentators joined Parler, the social media platform favoured by the far right that was forced offline last week for hosting threats of violence and racist slurs.

BTW what's a parley? ... parley vous etc.??

trackstar

January 17th, 2021, 2:37 pm

Sweet FA
The Who - Live at Leeds - Young Man's Blues. At the very end "Ain't got swweeeeeeeeet FA!"  I can hear it now.
What an album that is! 

I'll make it the Song of the Day in the OT.
Last edited by trackstar on January 17th, 2021, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

January 17th, 2021, 2:44 pm

More resources - this is a pretty exhaustive list of First Amendment cases and also notes some of the cases that the Supreme Court chose not to hear.  

The First Amendment Encyclopedia at MTSU

Two very recent cases that pop out are Kansas v. Boettger and Kansas v. Johnson (2020), where:

"The U.S. Supreme Court declined to review two decisions from the Kansas Supreme Court that had invalidated two true-threat convictions when it ruled the law used to convict the individuals was unconstitutional under the First Amendment.

However, Justice Clarence Thomas dissented from the denial of certiorari, arguing that the high court should take up the case because the Court’s ruling in Virginia v. Black (2003) contained language about unprotected true threats that has been interpreted differently by lower courts."

The threats in these two cases were made to family members and not towards a broader community.  

Still, this is a reminder that there is a long dialogue with the state Supreme Courts; states' rights are a big deal here. And it's interesting to look at what The SC has chosen not to hear over the years. So, if and when there are protests all around the country, there may be a range of debates that spring out of this issue.