Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

katastrofa

Re: The vaccines

April 8th, 2021, 8:52 am

bearish

April 19th, 2021, 2:03 am

So, brain dead republicans/fundamentalists are now seriously resisting vaccines. We can always hope that they will just stick to their own and die together, but that is sadly unlikely to happen. And their Christian desire to shoot people is unfortunately not solving the problem either, since they seem pretty much to have decided to shoot other people. Not just Black people, that’s mostly the cops; but Asians and other undesirables. Not a good situation at all.

katastrofa

April 20th, 2021, 12:44 am

I've been looking at the data on the blood clot risk due to the Covid vaccines in disbelief for the whole evening. The only blod clot risk which can be inferred from it is that due to the haematoma caused by *an injection*. Haematoma is a fancy word for a bigger bruise one can get from any physical injury, be it a punch or a jab - it often leads to the clot formation.

bearish

April 20th, 2021, 2:21 am

Right - good point! One in a million is definitely not zero, but still very small. But, evidently, a universal application of the vaccine has been described in the Book of Revelations as the mark of the beast (i.e. Satan), and thus real Christians are not supposed to accept it. Annoying, but true.

Alan
Topic Author

April 22nd, 2021, 3:43 pm

Moderna to pursue one-shot, annual, COVID+flu booster.  Yes!

bearish

April 22nd, 2021, 4:03 pm

Excellent news!

Alan
Topic Author

April 27th, 2021, 7:03 pm

The CDC opines it's OK for fully vaccinated people to not a wear a mask outdoors. Whew! In other news, the CDC has said it's OK to not carry an umbrella when it's clear, and not wear a coat on a warm summer day. Our tax dollars at work!

What kind of an idiot needs this Captain Obvious news flash, you may be asking?
1911.jpg

bearish

April 27th, 2021, 7:46 pm

It’s a somewhat desperate attempt to provide some incentive to idiots to get vaccinated because they “can do more”. Of course, since they don’t care in the slightest for either their own health or that of their community, they are already doing what they want. So, it is probably pointless.

Paul

April 27th, 2021, 8:37 pm

Yes, strong overlap between not wanting to have the vaccines and not wanting proof of vaccination and not wanting to wear masks. Makes it tricky.

You have to make the vaccine appealing to a certain type. Maybe make it really painful so that only real men (and I include women here) will want it. Or maybe the vaccine certificate is a tattoo, on the neck. Or instead of a syringe the vaccination is done with a gun-like instrument. In the UK you get a cup of tea and a biscuit when you give blood. Give a triple shot of JD and a juicy T-bone in the US. 

They're clearly not trying.

It's almost as if "they" want libertarians to die!!!

bearish

April 27th, 2021, 9:46 pm

Well, the first pillar of the libertarian creed is to be allowed to do what you want as long as you don’t hurt anyone else. Not getting vaccinated absolutely hurts and, not to put too fine a point on it, kills other people. Full stop.

bearish

April 27th, 2021, 9:47 pm

For clarity, I have nothing against libertarians, and probably lean much stronger in that direction than you’d think. Republicans are a different kettle of fish, as they say.

katastrofa

April 29th, 2021, 10:20 am

The CDC opines it's OK for fully vaccinated people to not a wear a mask outdoors. Whew! In other news, the CDC has said it's OK to not carry an umbrella when it's clear, and not wear a coat on a warm summer day. Our tax dollars at work!

What kind of an idiot needs this Captain Obvious news flash, you may be asking?

1911.jpg
Actually, studies are a bit dubious about wearing masks. Masks contribute to microplastic environment pollution, which hits back sooner or later. There's also the direct damage to health from inhaling microplastics (causes everything from inflammation and hence opening the door wider to viruses, to cancer).
I wouldn't suspect CDC of such a sophisticated reasoning (as mine and other smarties ;-D), but the sensible solution would be to wear the mask only if necessary (in closed spaces or when you can't keep the 2m distance).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7773316/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7297173/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2X20304630

Cuchulainn

April 29th, 2021, 11:03 am

For clarity, I have nothing against libertarians, and probably lean much stronger in that direction than you’d think. Republicans are a different kettle of fish, as they say.
Th acid test is: have you read Fountainhead yet?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZmVRI8Ptv4

That and Hitchhikers are two books I stopped reading after page 57. And Lolita.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

bearish

April 29th, 2021, 11:19 am

Th acid test is: have you read Fountainhead yet?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZmVRI8Ptv4

That and Hitchhikers are two books I stopped reading after page 57. And Lolita.

I never harbored the slightest interest in Rand (right up there with Joyce), but I have read all six books in the Hitchhikers trilogy. Some of then repeatedly.

Alan
Topic Author

April 29th, 2021, 2:42 pm

Yes, strong overlap between not wanting to have the vaccines and not wanting proof of vaccination and not wanting to wear masks. Makes it tricky.

You have to make the vaccine appealing to a certain type. Maybe make it really painful so that only real men (and I include women here) will want it. Or maybe the vaccine certificate is a tattoo, on the neck. Or instead of a syringe the vaccination is done with a gun-like instrument. In the UK you get a cup of tea and a biscuit when you give blood. Give a triple shot of JD and a juicy T-bone in the US. 

They're clearly not trying.

It's almost as if "they" want libertarians to die!!!
There was a satirical March 14 alternative to Valentine's day, also involving steak, that could work here ...