Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

katastrofa

Re: The vaccines

August 3rd, 2021, 8:13 pm

Compulsory workplace vaccination rules cannot apply to vegans

"More than half a million vegans will be exempt if companies introduce compulsory vaccination rules in Britain because their beliefs are protected by employment law, legal experts have said."
I’d be comfortable with that as long as said sworn vegans are proscribed from any medical treatment that may harm viruses or bacteria in their bodies.
It's rather about testing the vaccine on animals, eukaria. Philogenetically speaking, plants are our closer relatives than viruses and bacteria. How cruel of vegans to eat plants! :shock:

Given that the emergence and growing threat of zoonoses is connected to intensive animal farming (and various environmental and wildlife abuses related to it), vegans shouldn't be expected to pay the price of meateaters' nonchalance. Next time you buy foise gras, think that you're risking the outbreak of the lethal H5N1 (fast mutating virus, so don't count on vaccines). ¡Buen provecho!

bearish

August 3rd, 2021, 8:21 pm

Fair enough. I guess I generally struggle with rigid belief systems, whether formally recognized as a religion or not. And I wouldn’t worry too much about the ducks on my behalf. While I’m not in favor of banning foie gras, I have probably consumed it twice over the last five years…

And regarding the Harry Potter store - I have not been there. Not really my thing, although it looks pretty impressive. I’m guessing it qualifies as an entertainment venue.

Paul

August 3rd, 2021, 8:36 pm

If foie gras were to be banned then the French might actually have to do some serious farming or hunting. They only stuff the geese to make them easy to catch. That's why they eat snails too. The most exercise a Frenchman gets is catching a frog to eat.

katastrofa

August 3rd, 2021, 11:32 pm

And then they fart in your general direction!

Years ago when Fert and Grunberg got the Nobel Prize for GMR effect I was visiting Palaiseau. We went to a very French restaurant for dinner. Everybody was served some carnal pleasures while I demanded something (anything) vegan. I caused quite an agitation and even the chef emerged from the kitchen. I remember his angry look... and then he prepared for me the most delicious salads, and emerged again to see how I pigged them in. Why chase after snails if one can eat salat?

bearish

August 6th, 2021, 12:17 pm

Going momentarily back on topic, Florida’s governor Ron DeSantis must be proud. They now have a higher Covid patient count in hospitals and ICUs than ever, and the growth curve appears to go straight up. He has been cheering this on in a most Republican way, prohibiting any measures taken against the spreading of the virus by public or private entities. He may temporarily overtake Trump as public enemy number one.

Collector

August 10th, 2021, 11:04 am

Despite relaxed rules many places in USA and Europe and for this reason increased spread of Covid several countries death numbers are nothing like in dark months (most countries), if D plays important role in severity and Biden & Co refuses informing people about it then best strategy could be let covid sweep through in summer months when most people decent D serum levels. Best strategy naturally to understand a tad about probabilities and D vit mechanisms etc. and inform public about it.
Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 1.03.21 PM.png

Collector

August 10th, 2021, 1:18 pm

the tool box is much bigger than just vaccines and lock downs, unfortunately in humid swamp land most people hide inside with air condition and unhealthy food watching CNN(?).

In this large, population-based study, we observed that patients supplemented with cholecalciferol or calcifediol achieving serum 25OHD levels ≥ 30 ng/ml were associated with better COVID-19 outcomes.

30 ng/ml far below my level i think (baywatcher's >> 30ng/ml)

"Patients on cholecalciferol treatment achieving 25OHD levels ≥ 30 ng/ml had lower risk of SARS-CoV2 infection, lower risk of severe COVID-19 and lower COVID-19 mortality than unsupplemented 25OHD-deficient patients "

Collector

August 10th, 2021, 3:26 pm

one dose? two doses, three doses, some health authorities even talk about four doses now...

I heard rumors that fully loaded even makes one smile, who minds the small side effects for the ones only go for one, two, three or four....
Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 4.40.08 PM.png

Alan
Topic Author

August 10th, 2021, 3:52 pm

I think Covid will move from pandemic to endemic by the end of the year.
Look for the annual Moderna "Covid-19 booster + flu" combo shot, say starting in 2022 ... 

Collector

August 10th, 2021, 6:46 pm

bearish

August 10th, 2021, 6:53 pm

the tool box is much bigger than just vaccines and lock downs, unfortunately in humid swamp land most people hide inside with air condition and unhealthy food watching CNN(?).

In this large, population-based study, we observed that patients supplemented with cholecalciferol or calcifediol achieving serum 25OHD levels ≥ 30 ng/ml were associated with better COVID-19 outcomes.

"Patients on cholecalciferol treatment achieving 25OHD levels ≥ 30 ng/ml had lower risk of SARS-CoV2 infection, lower risk of severe COVID-19 and lower COVID-19 mortality than unsupplemented 25OHD-deficient patients "
That all sounds right, except they’re watching Fox News rather than CNN.

bearish

August 10th, 2021, 6:55 pm

I think Covid will move from pandemic to endemic by the end of the year.
Look for the annual Moderna "Covid-19 booster + flu" combo shot, say starting in 2022 ... 
They probably need to get the kids’ vaccines sorted out first, but yes, an annual booster that incorporates information on the latest strains and variants sounds about right.

Collector

August 10th, 2021, 7:02 pm

That all sounds right, except they’re watching Fox News rather than CNN.
I am talking about humid New York, the swamp land that Rockefeller drained the malaria out of, yes Fox there I guess...give us the short version Dr. Fox, because Fox is blocked here.

bearish

August 10th, 2021, 9:16 pm

Hmm - I don’t fully buy into your history lesson here, but leaving that aside, we’re normally watching MSNBC rather than CNN.

Paul

August 15th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Afghanistan and COVID/vaccines/WHO. Discuss!