Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Alan
Topic Author

Re: The vaccines

December 23rd, 2021, 4:58 pm

Interesting to see how rapidly the OMG variant (purple) crowded out Delta (orange) in the US after only 2 weeks. 
Regions Dashboard.png
Source: CDC

So, a good goal for Moderna and others is producing a new vaccine in only 2 weeks! 
(I will guess it will take them 2 months on this one).

Marsden

December 23rd, 2021, 6:29 pm

The upper chart, as I understand the underlying data, is kind of curious: apparently the number of Delta cases reported dropped by almost 70% from the week of 11-Dec to the week of 18-Dec.

I would think that normally the change in the variant proportions would indicate maybe a continued Delta drop-off -- but almost certainly not by 70% -- accompanied by a whole lot of new Omicron cases, and a steep, steep rise in the total number of cases.

So I guess that there has been a rise in the total number of cases, but far less than I (at least) would expect with such a massive shift in variant proportions ... and the reason is that the number of Delta cases plummeted.

There are a lot of things that could cause that, but in any case it's curious.

Alan
Topic Author

December 23rd, 2021, 8:02 pm

I don't know, but cases are way up too. So maybe some arithmetic should answer if absolute number of Delta cases went down.
Also, I just saw from the CDC site that those variant proportions include projections and may be subject to revision.
us-state-trends.png

bearish

December 23rd, 2021, 10:21 pm

I haven’t stared enough at the national numbers, but the NYC (OMG central) statistics suggests a 5-fold rise in the 7-day trailing average new case numbers over the last two weeks. Walking around midtown today, there were numerous pop-up testing sites with short lines, but a bit of vagueness regarding the timing of a response. Take-home rapid test kits are largely sold out.

kc11415

December 24th, 2021, 4:13 am

All standard disclaimers apply, and then some.

Collector

December 30th, 2021, 8:12 pm

Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 20.14.42.png
"On Thursday, Germany's health minister Karl Lauterbach said that a fourth dose will be needed to maintain protection against the Omicron variant, though the country has not yet initiated a rollout of fourth doses." https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/24/health/fourth-dose-covid-19-vaccine-us/index.html

Collector

December 30th, 2021, 8:25 pm

Evidence is insufficient to back mandatory NHS staff vaccination, says House of Lords committee

"As far as the safety of the vaccines is concerned, it is clear that rare but serious, and potentially fatal adverse effects occur, such as thrombosis and myocarditis, [8] and that these took months to identify. Long-term harms will be difficult to detect due to the short duration of the randomised trials, and will only become apparent in coming years"

bearish

December 31st, 2021, 4:32 am

Ian Bremmer of the Eurasia Group notes today that, in the US, 17% of Democrats are unvaccinated, as are 60% of Republicans. No other country has this kind of insanity institutionalized in a major political party. I hate to say this, but it’s too bad omicron looks to be so much less lethal than prior variations. It will still wipe out most of the US hospital capacity, and many innocent people will die because the unvaccinated will hog all the beds in general and ICU spaces in particular, but whatever…

Marsden

December 31st, 2021, 2:24 pm

"On Thursday, Germany's health minister Karl Lauterbach said that a fourth dose will be needed to maintain protection against the Omicron variant, though the country has not yet initiated a rollout of fourth doses." https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/24/health/fourth-dose-covid-19-vaccine-us/index.html
After all, 4 is considered unlucky in Chinese numerology.

Sure, it's superstitious nonsense ... but why take chances -- ?

Alan
Topic Author

December 31st, 2021, 6:44 pm

Well, the good news is the flu is still gone:
(PIC = pneumonia, influenza, and/or COVID-19).

NCHS50_small.gif

Alan
Topic Author

December 31st, 2021, 10:31 pm

After all, 4 is considered unlucky in Chinese numerology.

Sure, it's superstitious nonsense ... but why take chances -- ?
I agree -- I plan to skip #4 and go immediately to #5

bearish

January 1st, 2022, 2:36 am

The bleading head governor of Texas, Greg Abbott, who has vigorously fought against anti-Covid measures that infringe the “freedom” of his minions, is now begging the federal government for help to fight the disease that is totally overwhelming his state. This calls for the Nancy Reagan reply.

Collector

January 1st, 2022, 9:42 pm

Distracted nurse gives woman 6 doses of COVID vaccine in a single shot

West Virginia accidentally gives 42 people COVID-19 treatment instead of vaccine

"that 42 people expecting to receive the Moderna vaccine for COVID-19 were instead accidentally given the Regeneron antibody used to treat infections."

Parents say Walgreens mistakenly injected them and their two kids with the Covid-19 vaccine instead of flu shot

Dozens potentially given harmless saline injection instead of COVID-19 Pfizer vaccine in Melbourne mix-up

what if u only got saline on dose 3 bearish? u could be at high risk still...get a booster!

Collector

January 1st, 2022, 10:13 pm

more worrisome:
TGA admits minors mistakenly given AstraZeneca vaccine and says woman’s death an ‘atypical case’

health authorities in many countries should have paid up for health care workers to increase capacity reduce risk of errors etc., (yes considerably numbers have quitted due to low pay high work pressure etc.). One now had two years to increase for example intensive care capacity and control capacity, very little was done series of countries.. reports describing pandemics many years before warned about under capacity etc..

bearish

January 1st, 2022, 10:21 pm

Distracted nurse gives woman 6 doses of COVID vaccine in a single shot

West Virginia accidentally gives 42 people COVID-19 treatment instead of vaccine

"that 42 people expecting to receive the Moderna vaccine for COVID-19 were instead accidentally given the Regeneron antibody used to treat infections."

Parents say Walgreens mistakenly injected them and their two kids with the Covid-19 vaccine instead of flu shot

Dozens potentially given harmless saline injection instead of COVID-19 Pfizer vaccine in Melbourne mix-up

what if u only got saline on dose 3 bearish? u could be at high risk still...get a booster!
I’m willing to live with that risk. When there are literally billions of vaccine doses being administered in a few months, there will obviously be a meaningful number of things going wrong. Like, easily hundreds of thousands. Which should provide plenty of fodder for right-wing conspiracy theorists as well as honestly inquisitive journalists. Which still leaves billions of people better protected against a rather nasty disease…