Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Collector

Re: The vaccines

February 16th, 2022, 10:11 pm

"Norwegian copycat assholes planning"

they formally applied to demonstrate with trucks in Oslo, and got a no I was just reading, so unlikely to happen in Oslo at least.   I am not sure what they would demonstrate for as close to no corona restrictions. perhaps it was to show Canadian truckers support, I have not read up on exact reason to demonstrate. 

What is interesting thought, is if Norway was a small state inside Canada? The whole country would be considered red-necks and truckers?

you claim "to wreak havoc in Oslo" is that why they formally applied (perhaps different fractions who knows) ? well they got No! sure they can walk, free speech should be allowed any time.

"I wish them nothing but the worst,"  at least we know your evening prayers! 

katastrofa

February 16th, 2022, 10:21 pm

@bearish
They want to drive a convoy into central Oslo? Good luck with that!
Besides, aren't they too late? Alle koronatiltak fjernet her!

bearish

February 16th, 2022, 11:16 pm

Well, I think the starting point is to bring down the government. Any government, really, but especially if it’s not blue-blue (a thoroughly confusing nomenclature, especially to those used to the US political color mapping). And yes, they may be in competition with non-protesting drivers as far as space goes.

Marsden

February 17th, 2022, 2:39 am

• Instead, the situation must be considered a threat to the security of Canada, as defined by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act. This law outlines four possible scenarios: 
  • Espionage or sabotage
  • Foreign-influenced activities 
  • Threats or use of acts of serious violence for political, 
  • religious or ideological objectives Covert, 
  • unlawful acts intended to undermine or overthrow the constitutionally established government
It is so far unclear which scenario Mr Trudeau would rely on to justify the use of the Emergency Act - none of these four scenarios have been clearly present in Ontario.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60381096

so will the truck drivers be arrested for Espionage? or more likely religious believes, one was seen worshipping the beast (also known as his monster truck)
How is it not sabotage to disrupt transportation across a critical economic juncture?

The word "sabotage" literally comes from the French word "sabot," or shoe, and the practice of throwing a shoe into the works of machinery to jam it up.

DavidJN

February 17th, 2022, 7:27 pm

The last time Canada declared emergency federal powers there were bombings, kidnappings and the murder of a foreign diplomat. The bar should be set very high.

Half the trucker convoy money collected using web fundraising has come from outside the country. The Canadian public safety Minister has said it is known that the people pulling the strings of the trucker convoys are among the most dangerous and organized right wing extremists in North America. A day or so ago the federal police force, the deeply discredited RCMP, surprised many Canadians and did something useful by infiltrating and shutting down a sympathetic Alberta extremist fringe group who were heavily and illegally armed and planning murder.

Although we may and even should have reservations, I think a majority Canadians are in favour of not negotiating with terrorists, and are also in favour of using the heavy hand of the state to sweep away these people so intent on overturning democracy because their preferred outcome does not obtain. I would be skeptical of polls on this or any similar divisive issue because pollsters get the answers their clients want by careful selection and phrasing of the questions.

Collector

February 20th, 2022, 4:25 pm

bearish

February 21st, 2022, 2:17 am

Ah, yes, we must heed Murdoch’s personal opinion!

Collector

February 21st, 2022, 10:42 am

What did Elon Musk say about Trudeau, I heard rumours of much more harsh than WSJ ? well think he or twitter deleted it....

Whatever opinion on Trudeau goals, for me it seems now clear at least that Trudeau strategy for reaching it seems to give rise to strong polarisation...not so good I think.

Collector

February 21st, 2022, 11:10 am

Trudeau's craziness strategy will lead to strong polarisation and and radicalization ...

several stories about police now go after cafe owner for having served coffee to the truckers...if true it is way over the top

bearish

February 21st, 2022, 2:19 pm

What did Elon Musk say about Trudeau, I heard rumours of much more harsh than WSJ ? well think he or twitter deleted it....

Whatever opinion on Trudeau goals, for me it seems now clear at least that Trudeau strategy for reaching it seems to give rise to strong polarisation...not so good I think.
I have no idea what he said, but that is one man who makes the WSJ editorial board look rather mainstream in comparison.

bearish

February 21st, 2022, 2:33 pm

OK - so I looked it up. The muskrat tweeted a photo of a young Adolf Hitler in uniform with the text: “Stop comparing me to Trudeau. I had a budget.” Cute!

DavidJN

February 21st, 2022, 2:42 pm

Many commenters are understandably ignorant of a significant back story behind the Canadian trucker convoy controversy.

Of course there is an existing body of laws spread over the various government levels – municipal, provincial and federal - to deal with such unlawful behavior. But a form of paralysis seemed to have overtaken significant elements of the front-line security apparatus. In this circumstance, the local and the federal (RCMP) police forces sat on their hands instead of doing their job to maintain public order. This paralysis has been noticeably selective, and the selectivity most unfortunately has a long and pronounced partisan political bent to it that I shall seek to illuminate.

In Canada, protests against logging, mining and fossil fuel companies by environmental, Indian, and BLM activists are typically dealt with quickly and effectively. Yet this protest, one that directly threatened a quarter of Canada’s trade with its largest trading partner, was met with stony silence by the security apparatus, and there are documented cases of cooperation between the convoy protestors and police.

First a passing comment - like other Western democracies, Canada is struggling with infiltration of the security apparatus by elements of white power extremist groups. It seems the primary intent of such extremists is to secure access to large supplies of weapons and ammunition.

Now the back story. Canada’s federal police force – the RCMP, originally formed to move the Indians off the land to make way for European colonizers -  has a long and checkered history. It has recently been mired in multiple, large class action lawsuits by former employees. Yet to come are class action lawsuits against the RCMP from Canada’s First Nations peoples – that will cost many billions in damage settlements.

In the late 1970’s, a Liberal federal government called the “Royal Commission of Inquiry into Certain Activities of the RCMP”, often referred to as the Commission. The force had been receiving bad publicity about missteps like illegal wiretaps, and had failed miserably to warn of the home-grown terrorist threat to Canada posed by Quebec extremists, the FLQ, who had conducted a terrorist campaign that included kidnappings, bombings, and the murder of a foreign diplomat.

The McDonald Commission tore strips off the RCMP, the biggest being the removal of responsibility for national security from the force with reassignment to a newly created civilian spy agency, CSIS. The RCMP have been overtly hostile to the Canadian Liberal party ever since, and in recent times have become highly selective in enforcing the law, proving remarkably ineffective at times when failure would embarrass the Liberal Party. I won’t bore you with the details, but if you call me out on it I can provide a very large file on the topic – I am working on a co-authored book about partisan criminality in the Canadian RCMP.

So, part of the motivation for the invocation of seemingly drastic public security measures in response to the Canadian trucker convoy is the existence of systemic issues in the security apparatus. In the US the SCOTUS is nakedly partisan, and in Canada the RCMP is dangerously bent and should be immediately disbanded with prejudice.

bearish

February 21st, 2022, 3:18 pm

Thank you, that is helpful.

Marsden

February 21st, 2022, 3:29 pm

In my experience, a fair part of the population of law enforcement officers is drawn from the same pool that creates a type of criminal. These are people who want to be a law unto themselves, and who think other people are mere cogs who ought to fall in line with whatever they want. Probably an antisocial personality type, if not disorder.

Paul

February 21st, 2022, 7:00 pm

Not anything like bankers then!