Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Collector

Re: The vaccines

July 9th, 2022, 8:51 pm

"therefore, no longer based on prevention of infection by neutralizing antibodies, asymptomatic vaccinees abundantly spread highly infectious SC-2  immune escape variants as well as other highly infectious, immunogenically related viruses to other parts of the population. Consequently, in a highly vaccinated, well-mixed population, vaccinees with a mature and healthy innate immune system are now to be considered an asymptomatic reservoir for transmission of new, highly infectious SC-2 immune escape variants and other highly infectious diseases to the remainder of the population. " 

dose it make any sense ???

Immuno-epidemiologic ramifications of the C-19 mass vaccination experiment

bearish

July 10th, 2022, 10:29 am

No. He has evidently been going on about this for a couple of years, and falls into the “crank with a PhD bucket”. Oh, and he holds a DVM.

Alan
Topic Author

August 23rd, 2022, 4:05 pm

For those in the US, this article is informative: Covid-19 Booster Campaign Expected to Launch Next Month

Paul

August 23rd, 2022, 4:15 pm

I need my fix NOW!

bearish

August 23rd, 2022, 11:22 pm

For those in the US, this article is informative: Covid-19 Booster Campaign Expected to Launch Next Month
Yeah - I’ve been hesitatingly holding out on my second booster to see if I can get the B4/5 version. But I’m honestly starting to feel a little exposed, especially as the pressure to return to the office is cranked up.

Alan
Topic Author

August 24th, 2022, 12:39 am

Yeah - I’ve been hesitatingly holding out on my second booster to see if I can get the B4/5 version. But I’m honestly starting to feel a little exposed, especially as the pressure to return to the office is cranked up.
I did the same. But, also last week got an early season (early for me) flu shot, so as to leave at least a month between that one and the covid variant booster. That might solve Paul's problem, too.  

Alan
Topic Author

October 15th, 2022, 4:33 pm

There is a brouhaha on some social media and other places about supposed "admissions" by Pfizer re testing of Covid vaccines. The issue seems to me well-explained and well-responded to here:
(Reuters) Fact Check-Preventing transmission never required for COVID vaccines’ initial approval; Pfizer vax did reduce transmission of early variants 

Separately, the WSJ reports on serious current recruitment failures in the US military:
 The Pentagon’s Recruiting Woes Fewer young people want or are able to serve, a big problem for U.S. security 
Part of the problem is the vaccine mandate. However, according to the US CDC, well over 60% of US 18–49-year-olds have contracted Covid. So, one easy boost to the recruitment numbers would be to replace the current vaccine mandate with a mandate to either (i) be vaxxed or (ii) be Covid seropositive. The latter means the potential recruit has had at least one resolving or past Covid infection and so has some built-in protection.

Alan
Topic Author

October 30th, 2022, 2:37 pm

As Emily Litella used to say "It's Always Something".
The chart shows the just-completed flu season in Australia, consistent with early indicators for what's in store for the northern hemisphere this fall/winter:
FluAustralia.jpg

Alan
Topic Author

November 27th, 2022, 5:58 pm

Most popular movie in China at the moment:

Alan
Topic Author

December 4th, 2022, 3:20 pm

Fascinating podcast with Jordan Peterson and Matt Ridley on the origins of covid.
You can skip the commercials and jump to 3 minutes in for the start:

Paul

December 5th, 2022, 10:17 am

Excellent. I don’t personally know any facts, but the human angle, current nature of science and scientists, politics, politicization, cowardice, herd behaviour, etc. are all par for the course.

I particularly liked the idea of not wanting the reputation of science and scientists to be harmed. Durr!

And if as they say (although I don’t fully agree) “truth matters more than consequences” what should the consequences be for killing 6.6m people if what MR says is true?

Cuchulainn

December 5th, 2022, 2:38 pm

Video too long. Too many pundits. Which ones are the bullshitters?

Religous dogma is bad, unless it's in Latin.

Cuchulainn

December 5th, 2022, 2:52 pm

We need the next Julian Huxley

DavidJN

December 5th, 2022, 2:58 pm

Canadians are struggling what to make of Mr Peterson. He does seem a bit distant in front of the camera these days, a bit sedated. One of our more annoying newspapers, The National Putz... er... Post, was offering mental health explanations for his behaviour a while back. 

Not long ago I found a very interesting US government document listing known “incidents” in US viral labs – the number seems to in the 300 range since the 1950’s with widely varying degrees of intensity (how many people injured/killed). The point is that if one decides to do such research one must live with the idea that accidents will happen. We all know the Wuhan lab was diversely funded, maybe the West thought such research could continue with only occasional local accidents conveniently located in other countries? Maybe the lab staff went rogue like they did at Chernobyl? Maybe, like Edward Teller, they did it just because they could and were curious to see how it would play out? Or maybe the virus simply jumped species like we are reasonably sure SARS did?

Alan
Topic Author

December 5th, 2022, 5:28 pm

Some related links with essentially the same message as the podcast:
An Analysis of the Origins of the COVID-19 Pandemic  (tldr version)

Some recent pieces by Nicholas Wade:
Nov 17, 2022
Dec 4, 2022