Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Traden4Alpha

UK and the EU: In or out?

June 24th, 2016, 5:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: PaulOnly male landowners should be allowed to vote. PIndeed.Bring back gerrymandering.Or Jerry pandering.

AnalyticalVega

June 24th, 2016, 5:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegahttp://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/i-real ... 0361.htmlI haven't read the story. But is it about morons who are so stupid they shouldn't be allowed near a sharp pencil never mind being allowed to vote? Or is it about what an awful result this was and how unbearable responsibility is and maybe they should get some health benefits?PI think maybe they didn't realize that the U.K. leaving the E.U. could be a catalyst for a U.K. break up.

frolloos

June 24th, 2016, 5:18 pm

Article 50 - Good luck! And if that turns out to be too costly and burdensome, Boris Johnson and the Brexit bunch can always try Article 49 - Good luck on that one too! :) Don't get me wrong - I admire the courage, it's one big F-you to across the channel. But not sure it makes economic sense at this moment in time. And who knows this result might actually make the EU a less dysfunctional family.
Last edited by frolloos on June 23rd, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Topic Author

June 24th, 2016, 5:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaQuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegahttp://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/i-real ... 0361.htmlI haven't read the story. But is it about morons who are so stupid they shouldn't be allowed near a sharp pencil never mind being allowed to vote? Or is it about what an awful result this was and how unbearable responsibility is and maybe they should get some health benefits?PI think maybe they didn't realize that the U.K. leaving the E.U. could be a catalyst for a U.K. break up.The SNP needed enough people to vote Remain so that the result was different from the whole of the UK, but not so many that they shifted the whole of the UK in their direction. So they've done that nicely. I should do the numbers to see how close they were to optimal.You are thinking like everyone else...with your twenty-four-hour-rolling-news head. There won't be other referenda for ages, if ever. By then the EU/UK situation will be well underway and the world will still be rotating on its axis. We'll all be worried about something else.P

Paul
Topic Author

June 24th, 2016, 5:42 pm

Discussing this with middle class, middle aged people today it was clear that employees = Remain, self-employed/entrepreneurs = Leave. To them/us it was about what type of risks you were comfortable with or used to. To me this is a fun adventure.P

Anthis

June 24th, 2016, 6:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaQuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegahttp://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/i-real ... 0361.htmlI haven't read the story. But is it about morons who are so stupid they shouldn't be allowed near a sharp pencil never mind being allowed to vote? Or is it about what an awful result this was and how unbearable responsibility is and maybe they should get some health benefits?PI think maybe they didn't realize that the U.K. leaving the E.U. could be a catalyst for a U.K. break up.Its still reversible if they seek help from Tsipras. His English are a bit elementary, but he has the know-how to make the negative positive and vice versa.I only feel sad for Elizabeth. She was crowned as queen of an empire, and she will end ruling a country just a little bigger than Buckingham Palace. Actually, if Londoners are considering to leave UK she may end being a homeless queen.

Paul
Topic Author

June 24th, 2016, 6:10 pm

She's head of the Commonwealth of a couple of billion people. The Commonwealth will surely be the starting point for the UK venturing back onto the world stage after decades of being held in captivity.P

Cuchulainn

June 24th, 2016, 6:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulShe's head of the Commonwealth of a couple of billion people. The Commonwealth will surely be the starting point for the UK venturing back onto the world stage after decades of being held in captivity.PQueen Elizabeth is super popular in the Republic and has more Irish blood than some of them Dublin 4 types. QuoteBrian Boru ---> Tadc ---> Toirdelbach ---> Muirchertach ---> Mor ---> Derbforgaill ---> Murchad ---> Donnchada ---> Enna ---> Diarmaid ---> Aoife ---> Isabel de Clare ---> Isabel Marshal ---> Isabella of Gloucester and Hertford ---> Robert, 6th Lord of Annandale ---> Robert I of Scotland ---> Marjorie ---> Robert II of Scotland ---> Robert III ---> James I ---> James II ---> James III ---> James IV ---> James V ---> Mary, Queen of Scots ---> James VI and I of Scotland and England ---> Elizabeth of Bohemia ---> Sophia of Hanover ---> George I ---> George II ---> Frederick, Prince of Wales ---> V ---> George VI ---> Queen Elizabeth II .
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 23rd, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

AnalyticalVega

June 24th, 2016, 6:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulDiscussing this with middle class, middle aged people today it was clear that employees = Remain, self-employed/entrepreneurs = Leave. To them/us it was about what type of risks you were comfortable with or used to. To me this is a fun adventure.PYou are rich enough to live anywhere in the world, which may explain why you're not worried. If the U.K. falls apart you could always move to NY :) You may underestimating the amount of anger and discontentment among the general populace. Things may not go back to business as usual.
Last edited by AnalyticalVega on June 23rd, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Topic Author

June 24th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Yes. And I wasn't always. P

Paul
Topic Author

June 24th, 2016, 6:54 pm

I've said elsewhere that my dream scenario was to Remain, then get Corbyn as PM. And I'd be off to either NYC or HI. Another dream shattered. P

Anthis

June 25th, 2016, 5:54 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulShe's head of the Commonwealth of a couple of billion people. The Commonwealth will surely be the starting point for the UK venturing back onto the world stage after decades of being held in captivity.PCaptivity? Huh?All I know is that the UK for the last 43 years was like the spoilt misfit whinning kid in the EU family. When a member of the club demands a special treatment all the time, and then this member decides to depart from the club it can only be a good thing for the rest. A drag force is out. On the other hand, I really doubt being in Commonwealth, derives any meaningful and tangible benefits for the member states equivalent to those of EU.

daveangel

June 25th, 2016, 6:55 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnthisQuoteOriginally posted by: PaulShe's head of the Commonwealth of a couple of billion people. The Commonwealth will surely be the starting point for the UK venturing back onto the world stage after decades of being held in captivity.PCaptivity? Huh?All I know is that the UK for the last 43 years was like the spoilt misfit whinning kid in the EU family. When a member of the club demands a special treatment all the time, and then this member decides to depart from the club it can only be a good thing for the rest. A drag force is out. On the other hand, I really doubt being in Commonwealth, derives any meaningful and tangible benefits for the member states equivalent to those of EU.you underestimate Ghana
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

ppauper

June 25th, 2016, 6:57 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: AnthisQuoteOriginally posted by: PaulShe's head of the Commonwealth of a couple of billion people. The Commonwealth will surely be the starting point for the UK venturing back onto the world stage after decades of being held in captivity.PCaptivity? Huh?All I know is that the UK for the last 43 years was like the spoilt misfit whinning kid in the EU family. When a member of the club demands a special treatment all the time, and then this member decides to depart from the club it can only be a good thing for the rest. A drag force is out. On the other hand, I really doubt being in Commonwealth, derives any meaningful and tangible benefits for the member states equivalent to those of EU.you underestimate Ghanaand Nigeria, if the email I receive from their are any guide

ppauper

June 25th, 2016, 7:34 am

franklin grahamQuote"We don?t know what the ‪#‎EUReferendum‬ vote means long-term, but I know that this is at least a temporary setback for the politicians in this country and around the world who want a one-world government and a one-world currency. The Bible speaks that one day this will take place. Join me in praying for all of those impacted and that Europe's leaders, as well as our leaders in the United States, will look to Almighty God for wisdom and discernment in these trying and complex times in which we live."