SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Paul
Topic Author

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 11th, 2018, 4:05 pm

I have before likened Theresa May to the chairman of a village Women’s Institute. Such a person has lots of good qualities, they would generally be decent and honest. However such a person is unable to cope with confrontation. We are now seeing the consequences!

Btw Does anyone know whether this proposal is good or bad? I guess we’ll know when Merkel dismisses it (it must be good) or accepts it (it was bad).

ppauper

July 11th, 2018, 4:13 pm

infowars says it's a sell-out

Cuchulainn

July 11th, 2018, 4:30 pm

In 2010, May promised to bring the level of net migration down to less than 100,000. She had a checkered past as Home Secretary. Amber Rudd took the chop. She's probably quite ruthless.

bearish

July 13th, 2018, 1:36 am

Trump in an interview with the Sun today (presumably with somebody from the page 3 department): "I'm just saying I think he would be a great prime minister," Trump said. "I think he's got what it takes, and I think he's got the right attitude to be a great prime minister."

Not to mention the hair... This is after going along with the Infowars line on his hostess' approach to Brexit.

ppauper

July 13th, 2018, 5:54 am

Theresa May seems to be going with what they term a "soft Brexit," which seems to be remaining in the European Union in everything but name.
People who voted to leave the European superstate are understandably none too happy. I thought that's why Johnson resigned, because the deal was a betrayal of the referendum and he wanted no part of it. It's not "the Infowars line," it's the Brexiteers' line.
His fiercest criticism came over the centrepiece of the PM’s new Brexit plan — which was unveiled in full yesterday.
It would stick to a common ­rulebook with Brussels on goods and agricultural produce in a bid to keep customs borders open with the EU.
But Mr Trump told The Sun: “If they do a deal like that, we would be dealing with the European Union instead of dealing with the UK, so it will probably kill the deal.
“If they do that, then their trade deal with the US will probably not be made.”

The EU deal would be The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), which was one of those monstrous managed trade deals running to thousands of pages, which Obama and the EU kept away from the prying eyes of the public.
From wiki
The reports on the ongoing negotiations and the contents of the negotiated TTIP proposals are classified from the public, and can be accessed only by authorised persons. Multiple leaks of proposed TTIP contents into the public caused controversy.

TTIP controversy: Secret trade deal can only be read in secure 'reading room' in Brussels
TTIP seems to have been on and off and on again and off again since about 1990 (Bush 1), got going in earnest under Obama, but ground to a halt before Obama left office.

I believe that if the British government had gone along with the will of the people and actually left the EU, President Trump would have offered the brits an actual free trade deal. No tariffs, barriers, or subsidies.  
With "soft Brexit," the UK would have to piggyback off the TTIP

ppauper

July 13th, 2018, 6:16 am

bearish wrote:
Trump in an interview with the Sun today (presumably with somebody from the page 3 department): "I'm just saying I think he would be a great prime minister," Trump said. "I think he's got what it takes, and I think he's got the right attitude to be a great prime minister."

this seems to have been in response to a direct question, and you omitted the caveat, because you wanted to color what the President said
The US President described the former Foreign Secretary as “a very talented guy”, adding: “I like him a lot.”
He said: “I have a lot of respect for Boris. He obviously likes me, and says very good things about me.
“I was very saddened to see he was leaving government and I hope he goes back in at some point.
“I think he is a great representative for your country.”
Asked if the ex-minister could be in No 10 one day, he replied: “Well I am not pitting one against the other.
“I am just saying I think he would be a great Prime Minister.
“I think he’s got what it takes.”

ppauper

July 15th, 2018, 7:55 am

My deal is the only Brexit deal - wreck it at your peril: THERESA MAY's steely warning to Tory rebels AND those bully boys from Brussels
yes, I imagine those bully boys from Brussels would be really upset if there were no Brexit

Paul
Topic Author

July 15th, 2018, 10:05 am

Do Theresa the Appeaser's deal. And then do the typical continental thing (as applied to the EU, NATO,...) of not following the rules you've signed up to. 

Cuchulainn

July 15th, 2018, 10:15 am

The Sun is the kind of newspaper that would hit it off with Trump.
As Paul has mentioned, Liverpool is a Sun-free zone.Image

Cuchulainn

July 15th, 2018, 10:20 am

ppauper wrote:
My deal is the only Brexit deal - wreck it at your peril: THERESA MAY's steely warning to Tory rebels AND those bully boys from Brussels
yes, I imagine those bully boys from Brussels would be really upset if there were no Brexit

Speaking of bullies, EU pales into insignificance compared to your infantile idol.

Paul
Topic Author

July 15th, 2018, 10:29 am

I don't see Trump as a bully. I have a friend who behaves in exactly the same way. Robustly says what he thinks. Often changes his mind from one extreme to another. You can disagree with him and he doesn't get upset. No feelings are ever hurt. Refreshing. 

Also there is no 'gang' that he is the leader of that goes around frightening people.

Now the EU on the other hand...

Cuchulainn

July 15th, 2018, 11:36 am

Paul
Topic Author

July 15th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Democratically elected.

Sober.

Compare and contrast!

Cuchulainn

July 15th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Theresa May says Trump told her to sue EU over Brexit

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/071 ... rexit-may/

Of course, Trump denies this.

Paul
Topic Author

July 15th, 2018, 7:16 pm

If someone reveals the content of a private conversation...
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...