Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

September 29th, 2018, 11:22 am

ISayMoo

September 30th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Cuchulainn

October 1st, 2018, 10:53 pm

European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker has suggested that British planes may not be able to land in the EU if Brexit goes wrong.

I knew that at least 1.5 years ago,

Paul
Topic Author

October 2nd, 2018, 5:05 am

Quit drinking that Kool-Aid, man!

Who wants to land in the EU anyway? I don’t need to see German architecture, eat Dutch food or make new French friends. If I want to see Greek statues I’ll visit the British Museum. And the EU is too hot now in the summer, thanks to the impending ice age.

“I ask myself what is going to happen to the 250,000 dogs and cats who leave the European continent each year," he said.
"Right now they just pass through the customs, all these dogs and cats coming to mainland Europe each year.”

He clearly doesn’t know whether he, or the dogs and cats, is coming or going!

ISayMoo

October 2nd, 2018, 7:26 am

European Commission's newly discovered concern for animal welfare is charming. So he's going to stop funding corrida, then?

Cuchulainn

October 2nd, 2018, 8:55 am

Mrs May also said that the European Union was not like the Soviet Union after her foreign secretary provoked anger by likening the 28-member bloc to the USSR.
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt cautioned the EU on Sunday that it was set up to protect freedoms but that the lesson from Soviet history was that if you turned it into a prison then the desire to leave would increase.

I suppose he has to say something. UK as last bastion of freedom. Those Europeans don't know what they are missing. 

My yearly drive from Newcastle to Cairnryan is like a breath of fresh air. Can we take our cats?

Paul
Topic Author

October 2nd, 2018, 9:23 am

Cuchulainn wrote:
I suppose he has to say something. UK as last bastion of freedom. Those Europeans don't know what they are missing. 

You should watch "The Tourist Trap." The first episode:

Germans are grim.

Cuchulainn

October 2nd, 2018, 11:22 am

The Germans are up at 6 am to get the sunbeds. The English wake up at noon. Those two Yanks are soporific. 

ppauper

October 2nd, 2018, 11:44 am

I looked up what the guy actually said
“What happened to the confidence and ideals of the European dream? The E.U. was set up to protect freedom. It was the Soviet Union that stopped people leaving,” Hunt said in a speech at the Conservative Party Conference in Birmingham, England, on Sunday. “The lesson from history is clear: If you turn the E.U. club into a prison, the desire to get out won’t diminish, it will grow — and we won’t be the only prisoner that will want to escape.”

Cuchulainn

October 2nd, 2018, 12:23 pm

ppauper wrote:
“What happened to the confidence and ideals of the European dream? The E.U. was set up to protect freedom. It was the Soviet Union that stopped people leaving,” Hunt said in a speech at the Conservative Party Conference in Birmingham, England, on Sunday. “The lesson from history is clear: If you turn the E.U. club into a prison, the desire to get out won’t diminish, it will grow — and we won’t be the only prisoner that will want to escape.”

You are always talking shop. I was hoping for a relaxing interlude.

bearish

October 2nd, 2018, 12:25 pm

ppauper wrote:

What is he going on about wanting to escape? Who, exactly, is stopping him?

bearish

October 2nd, 2018, 12:27 pm

Or, wait, did he mean escape all the obligations of the EU while retaining all its benefits and privileges?

ppauper

October 2nd, 2018, 1:38 pm

it's interesting that he was just shouted down.
No eurocrats said, "that's absurd. Of course Britain, and any other countries, can leave the EU at any time if they so choose."
The USSR was often called a prison-house of nations, and with good reason.

Paul
Topic Author

October 2nd, 2018, 2:13 pm

bearish wrote:
Or, wait, did he mean escape all the obligations of the EU while retaining all its benefits and privileges?

I'm guessing that you don't personally have to suffer the benefits of EU VAT paperwork!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...