SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Paul
Topic Author

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

October 15th, 2018, 11:20 am

Cuch, can you explain to the EUrocrats some of the history of (Northern) Ireland? Maybe throw in some Joycean quotes (it would make more sense than Druncker after his breakfast sherries).

katastrofa

October 16th, 2018, 3:32 am

"I am definitely living in fear of having to secure weekly visas to European destinations in order to keep working. It is a daunting prospect."

I think their problem is that they are unaware of the fact that business visas exist. Wait, that's impossible - most of these peopel do business in the US. They're just lying through their teeth.
Apropos teeth, several months ago at our dentist (it's a Polish clinic, obviously - they've gone a bit crazy recently and hired some British people) I asked them if they were afraid of Brexit (some of them travel between Poland and the UK). It turned out they somehow already knew what everything would look like after the Brexit. Apparently, the administration had been already working on some post-Brexit arrangements and someone's auntie leaked.

Paul
Topic Author

October 16th, 2018, 5:22 am

Surely the one thing that was as guaranteed as could possibly be was that EU citizens living in the UK wouldn't be thrown out on their ears? Obviously nothing is settled, and there was Windrush, but to a leading-order approximation there wasn't much doubt. It just wouldn't be cricket!

ISayMoo

October 16th, 2018, 9:53 am

I think you overestimate the level of trust towards this government that people have ;-)

katastrofa

October 16th, 2018, 12:50 pm

AFAIR, they told me they'd have to pay something for a residence visa and regularly renew it. But yeah, no fears or complaining.

ISayMoo

October 21st, 2018, 4:08 pm

Leavers are "accused" of dreaming to restore the British Empire, but aren't in fact Remainers the ones who want to use the EU as a vehicle to further British influence around the world? I keep hearing all the time that "we should not leave the EU because it will make the UK less influential globally". So who's the one longing for the lost empire?

Cuchulainn

November 4th, 2018, 11:48 am

If you are financially independent then you will not be worried one way or the other.

As John Lennon might say, the rest of you “Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! Rage! Blow! You cataracts and hurricanes, spout"

Paul
Topic Author

November 4th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Cuch, you’ve been told many times that not everything is about money!

katastrofa

November 4th, 2018, 12:55 pm

My heart goes to all salaried workers from the City, who voted Remain.

Cuchulainn

November 5th, 2018, 8:32 am

Cuch, you’ve been told many times that not everything is about money!
tell that to the DUP

ISayMoo

November 6th, 2018, 4:24 pm

We should tell DUP to get lost. A customs border across the Irish Sea is a cheap price for escaping this neo-imperial madness: Build me an army worthy of EU

Cuchulainn

November 6th, 2018, 7:50 pm

We should tell DUP to get lost. 
This will not be happening any time soon. The last time was Plantation of Ulster 1690. dīvide et imperā (and yes ISM, I have read Classics).

Some of my good friends are ancestors of Oliver Cromwell's ruthless rent collectors in the country LondonDerry.

In fairness, Cromwell needed the money to pay his large armies. It doesn't grow on trees, so it doesn't.

ISayMoo

November 6th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Ancestors?

ppauper

November 7th, 2018, 6:33 am

We should tell DUP to get lost. A customs border across the Irish Sea is a cheap price for escaping this neo-imperial madness: Build me an army worthy of EU
from the linked article
In France the expression “ultra-liberal” is not a positive one — it refers to unrestrained capitalism that crushes the common worker and enriches elites.
In North America the expression “ultra-liberal” is not a positive one either  — it refers to marxism that crushes the common worker and enriches elites

Paul
Topic Author

November 7th, 2018, 6:59 am

Liberal, democrat, progressive,...now mean the opposite of what you’d expect. Very Orwellian.

And could Republicans and Democrats swap colours, please? It’s confusing me.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On