SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Gamal

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

October 10th, 2019, 6:08 am

I never look back. The future is more important. 
The future is the past, only a bit later.

Paul
Topic Author

October 10th, 2019, 7:04 am

I never look back. It's too far down.

Gamal

October 10th, 2019, 7:11 am

Nobody wanted to stab you in the back? Lucky you.

Paul
Topic Author

October 10th, 2019, 8:18 am

All the time!!! Many have tried! But I have no weak spots. I am not indebted to anyone (except perhaps my Mum), have no boss, financially independent, unafraid, generally don’t give a damn. If I tweeted I’d probably sound like Trump!

ISayMoo

October 10th, 2019, 8:47 am

Wikipedia. 

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is..."
Ireland joining the war on the Allied side would actually aid the Nazis. As a neutral country, they had good hope of not being invaded by Germany. Whereas them joining the war as a belligerent on the Allied side would bring little benefit to the UK (Ireland did not have a strong army) but add a lot of territory to defend. Imagine the consequences of Germany invading Ireland and establishing naval and air bases there... All marine traffic from the USA to the UK went around Ireland.
That’s silly! When was being neutral a guaranteed defence against being invaded?!
No, no guarantee, but being a belligerent was a guarantee of being attacked. I know a fair bit about WW2 history, so you have to try harder arguing with me than "silly!" or "humbug!".

ISayMoo

October 10th, 2019, 8:48 am

I never look back. The future is more important. It's also very British not to talk about family achievements etc. (Although I am pretty sure no one in my family has ever achieved anything.)
Faux modesty is a very British thing ;-)

Two world wars and one world cup!

ISayMoo

October 10th, 2019, 8:52 am

A new low for Ireland, collaborating with Germany over annexing part of another country. At least in WWII they didn’t take a view on Naziism.
They did. Ireland was neutral but pro-Allies.
70,000 Irishmen fought for the Allies.

Some home truths: WWII was won at Stalingrad by the Russians. Normandy, El Alamein and Arnhem were side-shows.
That's a half-truth at best. Harris' bombing campaign was instrumental in bringing Germany to its knees. The Germans would have it much easier with the Russians if their industrial base hadn't been bombed in the ground by the Bomber Command and their fuel supplies cut off by the US Air Force. And that's before we get to the Arctic convoys. Most Red Army trucks were US made.

Cuchulainn

October 10th, 2019, 10:53 am

Some home truths: WWII was won at Stalingrad by the Russians. Normandy, El Alamein and Arnhem were side-shows.
That's a half-truth at best. Harris' bombing campaign was instrumental in bringing Germany to its knees. The Germans would have it much easier with the Russians if their industrial base hadn't been bombed in the ground by the Bomber Command and their fuel supplies cut off by the US Air Force. And that's before we get to the Arctic convoys. Most Red Army trucks were US made.
Harris was an animal.
The Dambusters project had positive spinoff for Ealing Studios but by the end of 1943 production was at full speed with the help of 20.00 slave labourers. When the dam burst, 4000 female labourers from Eastern Europe lost their lives as they were penned in behind the barbed wire fences.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 10th, 2019, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

October 10th, 2019, 11:10 am

And very brave they were too.

Changing the topic, are we?!
Montgomery was an idiot. Just ask the people of Arnhem and Nijmegen.
Brave soldiers, wrong leaders.
Rommel was in a different league altogether.

ISayMoo

October 10th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Harris was an animal.
He was a hippie compared to the Soviet commanders you seem to admire so much.

He oversold his goods by claiming that bombing alone could beat the Nazis. His major error was refusing for a long time to release some long range bombers from air raids for anti-submarine patrols in the North Atlantic. It cost the lives of many Allied mariners.
The Dambusters project had positive spinoff for Ealing Studios but by the end of 1943 production was at full speed with the help of 20.00 slave labourers.
Because RAF failed to follow up on success with conventional bombing raids to prevent the reconstruction of the dams. Or maybe because Germans put up too much flak for such raids to be feasible. Read Guy Gibson's memoirs. He describes how difficult the original raid was because of the terrain. But higher altitude raids would have been easier. I dunno. Hindsight is 20/20.
When the dam burst, 4000 female labourers from Eastern Europe lost their lives as they were penned in behind the barbed wire fences.
Blame the people who put them behind this fences.

By the way, do you know how many French civilians died from Allied bombing during the Normandy campaign? Around 100,000. War sucks.
Last edited by ISayMoo on October 10th, 2019, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ISayMoo

October 10th, 2019, 8:16 pm

And very brave they were too.

Changing the topic, are we?!
Montgomery was an idiot. Just ask the people of Arnhem and Nijmegen.
Brave soldiers, wrong leaders.
Monty was very popular with his troops. He was a controversial commander, for sure. But the troops followed him. They didn't have to be driven from behind with lethal force by NKVD "backstop" squads, like in the Red Army.

If you are a fan of the Red Army (why not? brave people), read this book.
Rommel was in a different league altogether.
Really? Somehow Monty and inexperienced American GIs kicked his pants in North Africa. And he lost France.

Cuchulainn

October 11th, 2019, 8:25 am

• Look ISM, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

Cuchulainn

October 11th, 2019, 8:41 am

Some coffee salon chit chat: We were in Sauerland a year or so after the storm Kyrill of 18 January 2007 knocked 41 million trees in this hilly region. At one stage we were driving along the dam listening to BBC Wild Service (on the defunct 648 MW) and then "our next guest is Dr. Paul Wilmott etc."
meshuggah :D

ISayMoo

October 11th, 2019, 9:54 am

• Look ISM, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.
Upset? I enjoy talking about history. It's a hobby of mine.

ISayMoo

October 11th, 2019, 9:54 am

And all this discussion about who won the WW2, the Russkies or the Yankees, is moot. Ranger did it:

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On