SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

November 5th, 2019, 1:16 am

Dawkins has never proved anything. He just rambles.

Gamal

November 5th, 2019, 7:15 am

True, he is a bit chaotic but he still proves something. In the God Delusion he shows how natural is to organize your thoughts around the notion of God. It's a great book, everybody should read it.

Of course, I know he wanted to prove something else. But as the great American scientist Wernher von Braun said: I aim at the stars but sometimes I hit London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDEsGZLbio

Gamal

November 5th, 2019, 12:51 pm

There is no "word of God".
The better. It means God does not lie. Unlike journalists.

ISayMoo

November 5th, 2019, 1:10 pm

God doesn't, her representatives do it all the time.

tw

November 5th, 2019, 1:38 pm

You know, existence of God is not certain, so we do not know if He lies or not.
Is the present King of France bald?

katastrofa

November 5th, 2019, 4:34 pm

True, he is a bit chaotic but he still proves something. In the God Delusion he shows how natural is to organize your thoughts around the notion of God. It's a great book, everybody should read it.

Of course, I know he wanted to prove something else. But as the great American scientist Wernher von Braun said: I aim at the stars but sometimes I hit London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDEsGZLbio
He is trying to tackle a philosophical problem without defining any metaphysical foundations - I call it philosophising. It's typical of Westerners who seem not to realise that they are not the only and not the oldest culture. I may agree with Dawkins that religion is degrading for morals and ethics. It serves to relieve one from the sense of guilt by submitting it to some artificial evaluation and compensation process, instead of resorting to one's own deeply-rooted in our doubting nature sense of good and bad, which are always transient and contextual. It caricatures the good and the bad, noble and malevolent, valuable and worthless, ... But after centuries of religious degradation, there's probably no way back.

What do you think, Gamal?

Gamal

November 5th, 2019, 6:40 pm

I may agree with Dawkins that religion is degrading for morals and ethics. It serves to relieve one from the sense of guilt by submitting it to some artificial evaluation and compensation process, instead of resorting to one's own deeply-rooted in our doubting nature sense of good and bad, which are always transient and contextual. It caricatures the good and the bad, noble and malevolent, valuable and worthless, ... 
In the West. Eastern Orthodoxy is still healthy.

ISayMoo

November 5th, 2019, 8:55 pm

I thought Eastern Orthodoxy has been co-opted by the Russian state?

Gamal

November 5th, 2019, 9:14 pm

The biggest religion in Russia is islam. Vast majority of Russians are atheist. Look somewhere else for Orthodoxes.

https://egyptindependent.com/80000-muslims-pray-street-moscow/

Cuchulainn

November 8th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Paul,
Is it possible to reform BBC and get good programs back?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQHZQMivthU

In contrast to most of Ireland we got BBC, ITV, UTV as we were on the border.
We even got the Benny Hill Show.

bearish

November 9th, 2019, 2:03 am

The biggest religion in Russia is islam. Vast majority of Russians are atheist. Look somewhere else for Orthodoxes.

I am not sure whether the religiosity of Russians is actually interesting, but I would not exactly take the opinion of Egypt Independent as the final word on the matter. 

Gamal

November 9th, 2019, 7:53 am

I am not sure whether the religiosity of Russians is actually interesting, but I would not exactly take the opinion of Egypt Independent as the final word on the matter. 
Your racism is impressive. Why you whities always must feel better than the others? You don't trust photos from Egypt Independent? OK. Will Russia Today do? They are white

https://www.rt.com/news/muslims-mark-end-ramadan-443/

Cuchulainn

November 9th, 2019, 10:49 am

The problem is that the European press practices self-censorship.  It is particularly strong in NL and the Nordics I suppose.

Egypt is #163 regarding freedom of the press, so they don't have a leg to stand on. It also has an abysmal record on human rights, corruption.

bearish

November 9th, 2019, 1:50 pm

I have no problem with a photo of a phalanx of prostrate muslims in a Moscow street. But when standard sources suggests that Russian-Orthodox Christians outnumber muslims in Russia by a factor of 6-7, your claim that islam is their biggest religion stretches credulity. I get that most nominally Russian-Orthodox church members don't care, but then again, that may hold for the odd person counted among the muslims, too. 

Gamal

November 9th, 2019, 6:30 pm

I have no problem with a photo of a phalanx of prostrate muslims in a Moscow street. But when standard sources suggests that Russian-Orthodox Christians outnumber muslims in Russia by a factor of 6-7, your claim that islam is their biggest religion stretches credulity. I get that most nominally Russian-Orthodox church members don't care, but then again, that may hold for the odd person counted among the muslims, too. 
You have around 100 millon Russians and 25 million various muslims in Russia. Around 2% of Russians celebrate Christmas not speaking about Easter or baptizing children and attendending masses, muslims are much more serious about their faith. Now compare these two numbers. Saying thay you have 100 million Orthodoxes in Russia is just a joke. Mr Putin loves to joke, especially to Western idiots, who know nothing about Russia.

PS. I'm not your secretary. If you want to contradict my data, find yours. 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On