Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

November 27th, 2019, 11:21 pm

I think the conclusion is that salmonella is a storm in an eggcup.
For Big Endians it's very actual.

To reach out to bearish

Corollary: Real salads do not contain SALMONELLA.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

bearish

November 27th, 2019, 11:40 pm

"Real" is such a weasel word. Here is one compilation of the common sources of major food poisoning: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/03/the-most-common-sources-of-food-poisoning/386570/

Alan

December 8th, 2019, 4:28 pm

One of the interesting things about that unredacted document, the one all the  fuss is about, is the difference between the US and EU approaches to, well, everything. It seems that the difference between the legal systems also applies to business. I.e. in the US anything goes unless it is forbidden. In the EU the opposite is true. You can't do anything unless some bureaucrat has given it the OK. I know which I prefer!

Another nice thing about the US is the variety and competition among states:
Why Utah Has Become America’s Economic Star (wsj:paywall)

From the article:

----------------------------------------------------------------
“We are unapologetically pro-business and pro-jobs in Utah,” Gov. Gary Herbert told me. “And we have a long tradition of being frugal on how we spend tax dollars.” Utah spends a third less per capita on state and local government services like housing and education than do New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island. But while their elected representatives are frugal, Utah residents don’t feel deprived. According to WalletHub.com Utah is the second-happiest state in the country. Only Hawaiians are happier. 

Part of the reason for Utah’s consistently strong economic growth is a still-predominant Mormon culture that encourages out-of-fashion virtues such as thrift, delayed gratification and stable families. The state has the nation’s lowest median age. There is no dreary Malthusian concern about “overpopulation” in young and vital Utah. Stand outside a church on a Sunday morning, as I did recently, and you will see families with large numbers of kids spilling out of minivans. In the graying Northeast, that’s a rare sight.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Cuchulainn

December 8th, 2019, 7:37 pm

And still time for relaxation

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI6dsMeABpU

Look at those organ pipes!

And no alcohol and stuff..
David Wheeler

bearish

December 8th, 2019, 7:58 pm

One of the interesting things about that unredacted document, the one all the  fuss is about, is the difference between the US and EU approaches to, well, everything. It seems that the difference between the legal systems also applies to business. I.e. in the US anything goes unless it is forbidden. In the EU the opposite is true. You can't do anything unless some bureaucrat has given it the OK. I know which I prefer!

Another nice thing about the US is the variety and competition among states:
Why Utah Has Become America’s Economic Star (wsj:paywall)

From the article:

----------------------------------------------------------------
“We are unapologetically pro-business and pro-jobs in Utah,” Gov. Gary Herbert told me. “And we have a long tradition of being frugal on how we spend tax dollars.” Utah spends a third less per capita on state and local government services like housing and education than do New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island. But while their elected representatives are frugal, Utah residents don’t feel deprived. According to WalletHub.com Utah is the second-happiest state in the country. Only Hawaiians are happier. 

Part of the reason for Utah’s consistently strong economic growth is a still-predominant Mormon culture that encourages out-of-fashion virtues such as thrift, delayed gratification and stable families. The state has the nation’s lowest median age. There is no dreary Malthusian concern about “overpopulation” in young and vital Utah. Stand outside a church on a Sunday morning, as I did recently, and you will see families with large numbers of kids spilling out of minivans. In the graying Northeast, that’s a rare sight.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Coincidentally, on the latest ranking by Mental Health America of the prevalence of mental illness and access to care, Utah ranks 48 in the nation, only ahead of Idaho, Oregon and Nevada. On top? Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont and Rhode Island. Next door neighbor Colorado scores far better than Utah, and has very different politics and government. And far fewer mormons. 

Paul
Topic Author

December 8th, 2019, 8:58 pm

The many people in NYC with one leg shouting at lampposts probably don’t take part in online questionnaires.

(Who will be first with the punchline?!)

Alan

December 8th, 2019, 9:45 pm

The many people in NYC with one leg shouting at lampposts probably don’t take part in online questionnaires.

(Who will be first with the punchline?!)
Free laptops for all crazy homeless people! 

Paul
Topic Author

December 8th, 2019, 9:54 pm

No, it’s “Who is the other leg shouting at?”

(A version of “I know a man with one leg named Mr Smith.”)

katastrofa

December 8th, 2019, 10:12 pm

bearish

December 8th, 2019, 11:07 pm

Right, although mental illness is actually a thing. But, whatever. The extra caseload caused by Trump and Brexit will simply not be funded.

Cuchulainn

December 14th, 2019, 12:45 pm

I don't think that they are a patch on Finland's leaders of five parties

David Wheeler

Paul
Topic Author

December 14th, 2019, 3:00 pm

It’s hard to tell how good they’ll be from a photograph. Other than it shows Finland’s famous lack of diversity, just like the EU.

bearish

December 14th, 2019, 3:04 pm

So I have just learnt that "to be a patch on" is an actual expression. I still don't get what you are trying to say, though. 

katastrofa

December 14th, 2019, 4:33 pm

It’s hard to tell how good they’ll be from a photograph. Other than it shows Finland’s famous lack of diversity, just like the EU.
They are four young women. I'd say it's a lot of diversity :-)

Paul
Topic Author

December 14th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Damn facts and statistics! (I especially like the "reputation for tolerance and progressiveness." It's a bit of a theme everywhere. Wise up. Progressive = intolerant.)

A NEW REPORT from the European Union’s Fundamental Rights Agency shows that people of African descent in Finland face the highest levels of discrimination in the EU.

The report, entitled “Being Black in the EU”, surveyed 6000 people of African descent across 12 European countries, revealing that the scale of discrimination is “much higher” than originally thought. Across all countries, African Europeans reported facing “commonplace” discrimination in housing, law enforcement, and so-called “everyday racism”. 

One of the most significant revelations is that Finland, despite its reputation for tolerance and progressiveness, is by far the worst performer. A full 14% of respondents in Finland have reported experiencing racially-motivated violence in the past five years, compared to less than 2% in Portugal, the best performer on the list. 

63% of black people in Finland also report facing some form of racial harassment, compared to just 20% in the United Kingdom. A fifth of those surveyed in Finland know a friend or family member who has been the victim of racially motivated assault, while close to half report being stopped and searched by the police. Finland also has the highest rate of reported incidents of racial harassment. 

Parents in Finland with black children also reported the highest levels of racial discrimination in primary education, with a full 45% of respondents facing incidents of racism in schools. 

Respondents in Finland also report facing discrimination in finding housing and employment at a much higher rate than the EU average, although the worst performers in these areas are Austria, Luxembourg, and Ireland. People of African descent who hold a degree are also twice as likely to be working in low-skilled, low-paid employment as their white counterparts.