Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 64309
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Drosophila melanogaster
Contact:

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 21st, 2016, 2:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: twQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaThe bigger issue is whether the 88% of GDP that is NOT in manufacturing will benefit more than is lost among the 12% that is in manufacturing.More specifically what happens to the financial services industry which is, to a first order approximation, the same as the UK economy.Business as usual?
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl
 
User avatar
tagoma
Posts: 18544
Joined: February 21st, 2010, 12:58 pm

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 21st, 2016, 3:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunHave you seen those weird 4.7 sec interviews Cameron gave when you got out of his car? He did it twice. That's reason enough to vote against him, it was a very bad attempts to fool people into thinking he was accomplishing something.Maybe listen to the full speech.There is that old French comedy sketch saying that the silence following a Mozart's symphony actually is part of Mozart's work while the silence that follows President Mitterrand's speech is the whole France fallen asleep.
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 64309
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Drosophila melanogaster
Contact:

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 21st, 2016, 3:35 pm

I think BREXIT yes/no will depend on the European soccer 2016 in France; the Mannschaft should let England score in the second half.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl
 
User avatar
tagoma
Posts: 18544
Joined: February 21st, 2010, 12:58 pm

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 21st, 2016, 3:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI think BREXIT yes/no will depend on the European soccer 2016 in France; the Mannschaft should let England score in the second half.Is it known whether they will be allowed again to use their hands this year?
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 64309
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Drosophila melanogaster
Contact:

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 21st, 2016, 3:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI think BREXIT yes/no will depend on the European soccer 2016 in France; the Mannschaft should let England score in the second half.Is it known whether they will be allowed again to use their hands this year?In this case it is allowed; "special treatment"You can expect 250,000 Republic of Ireland supporters (as well the 'other' Irish :D))
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl
 
User avatar
tw
Posts: 1176
Joined: May 10th, 2002, 3:30 pm

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 21st, 2016, 4:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI think BREXIT yes/no will depend on the European soccer 2016 in France; the Mannschaft should let England score in the second half.Is it known whether they will be allowed again to use their hands this year?Ask Sepp. I am sure it is negotiable.
 
User avatar
Paul
Topic Author
Posts: 11217
Joined: July 20th, 2001, 3:28 pm

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 22nd, 2016, 6:17 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tw QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaThe bigger issue is whether the 88% of GDP that is NOT in manufacturing will benefit more than is lost among the 12% that is in manufacturing.More specifically what happens to the financial services industry which is, to a first order approximation, the same as the UK economy.in order for the British skills not to atrophy we have to leave the EU. Eg we are rubbish at football because we don't train our own players. Nor do we train our own doctors or nurses any more. And we rely on cheap labour from Eastern Europe too much.And all bankers are, dangerously, French. We have to stop this decay before we end up like characters out of a HG Wells novel. P
Last edited by Paul on February 21st, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 64309
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Drosophila melanogaster
Contact:

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 22nd, 2016, 6:27 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: tw QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaThe bigger issue is whether the 88% of GDP that is NOT in manufacturing will benefit more than is lost among the 12% that is in manufacturing.More specifically what happens to the financial services industry which is, to a first order approximation, the same as the UK economy.in order for the British skills not to atrophy we have to leave the EU. Eg we are rubbish at football because we don't train our own players. Nor do we train our own doctors or nurses any more. And we rely on cheap labour from Eastern Europe too much.And all bankers are, dangerously, French. We have to stop this decay before we end up like characters out of a HG Wells novel. PThis is not unique to UK. I see it all over Europe. Everyone wants to be a manager.And everyone thought they could become rich by buying and selling property or buying internet bubble shares.My 2 cent theory is that it all started to go wrong late 80s (e.g. CAD/CAM) when outsourcing became the rage. The Chinese are laughing all the way to the bank..
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 21st, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl
 
User avatar
katastrofa
Posts: 10009
Joined: August 16th, 2007, 5:36 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 23rd, 2016, 12:01 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: Cuchulainn QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulFunny how the collapse of our manufacturing has coincided exactly with our increasing involvement with the EU! We seemed to be quite good at lots of things before the EU bureaucrats decided they knew better than anyone how businesses should be run.PTo be honest, it was self-inflicted. I doubt if EU triggered the 3-day week nor the Winter of Discontent.I vividly remember all of the 70s and all the events in the UK. Almost.I remember it well...no electricity, lighting by candles! Maggie sorted out that little blip though!PThatcher bet on service businesses, light engineering and loosened the financial market regulations (which is probably the true reason why you like her and probably makes many smile at your euroskepticism). The whole Europe gave up on heavy primary industry to varying degree at the time... The clear line/period in history closing the chapter of the English 19th-century industrial empire is European Civil War (or WW1 and WW2 as we tend to see it).
Last edited by katastrofa on February 22nd, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
rmax
Posts: 6080
Joined: December 8th, 2005, 9:31 am

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 23rd, 2016, 7:09 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: tw QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaThe bigger issue is whether the 88% of GDP that is NOT in manufacturing will benefit more than is lost among the 12% that is in manufacturing.More specifically what happens to the financial services industry which is, to a first order approximation, the same as the UK economy.in order for the British skills not to atrophy we have to leave the EU. Eg we are rubbish at football because we don't train our own players. Nor do we train our own doctors or nurses any more. And we rely on cheap labour from Eastern Europe too much.And all bankers are, dangerously, French. We have to stop this decay before we end up like characters out of a HG Wells novel. PIs that being part of Europe, or just the culture we are now in? I am no great fan of Europe, but my hunch is that the UK is better in (in some form) than out. On the periphery the UK has many more ways in which it can move (as now). If the UK is out we have a degree of freedom.
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 64309
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Drosophila melanogaster
Contact:

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 24th, 2016, 1:47 pm

QuoteThose campaigning for Britain to leave the EU and chose the Norwegian way can hence correctly claim that a country can retain access to the single market from outside the EU. What is normally not said, however, is that this also means retaining all the EU?s product standards, financial regulations, employment regulations, and substantial contributions to the EU budget. A Britain choosing this track would, in other words, keep paying, it would be ?run by Brussels?, and it would remain committed to the four freedoms, including free movement.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl
 
User avatar
Paul
Topic Author
Posts: 11217
Joined: July 20th, 2001, 3:28 pm

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 24th, 2016, 3:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Cuchulainn QuoteThose campaigning for Britain to leave the EU and chose the Norwegian way can hence correctly claim that a country can retain access to the single market from outside the EU. What is normally not said, however, is that this also means retaining all the EU?s product standards, financial regulations, employment regulations, and substantial contributions to the EU budget. A Britain choosing this track would, in other words, keep paying, it would be ?run by Brussels?, and it would remain committed to the four freedoms, including free movement.Some people do seem to think that after a Brexit there would be zero trade, zero transport, zero fuel, zero food, etc. Other people think that the temporary worst-case scenario would be that we would operate under World Trade Organization rules since the EU is signed up to that.If it's the former then we definitely must get out...we don't want to associate with "friends" who are so keen to blackmail us.P
 
User avatar
Paul
Topic Author
Posts: 11217
Joined: July 20th, 2001, 3:28 pm

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 24th, 2016, 3:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofa...which is probably the true reason why you like her...I suspect it's just me being a bit of a contrarian. I was in academia in the 'eighties and all my colleagues hated her. I noticed that a) I worked harder than any of them and b) I didn't think very highly of them. So it was natural for me to appreciate the meritocratic philosophy.P
 
User avatar
Traden4Alpha
Posts: 23951
Joined: September 20th, 2002, 8:30 pm

UK and the EU: In or out?

February 24th, 2016, 4:08 pm

Concerns about UK-EU trade ignore the current role of computers in business. Most of the historical frictions in international trade have been eliminated by algorithms. The biggest remaining friction is the physical distance between countries and BREXIT doesn't affect that.Global trade has grown exponentially and much faster than global GDP because global trade simply is not as hard as it used to be.