SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

 
User avatar
Paul
Topic Author
Posts: 8530
Joined: July 20th, 2001, 3:28 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 18th, 2018, 1:33 am

@ISM:

My point was just about direct experience. Most people have to make a decision what and whether to trust (sources of) information without direct experience. My personal direct experiences of politicians (aforementioned) and civil servants (Foresight Report) is that they all have an agenda, and it’s the same agenda for all of them. And it’s not an agenda that is aligned with the majority of the British people.

My experience of working with broadcast media is the same. Fir example, they know that the Electoral Commission is biased (the people I worked with had clashed with them before) but the bias is in the direction they like. My suggestion that they investigate bias within the BBC was found amusing. But few institutions have as much power as the BBC, they ought to be investigated.

I am the most positive and least cynical person you will ever meet but I no longer trust most politicians. FWIW the exceptions, who I do think trustworthy, are Farage, Frank Field, JR-M, Sajiv Javid, maybe a few more.
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 68468
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 18th, 2018, 11:34 am

Butter, yoghurt and cheese could become ‘occasional luxuries’ after Brexit, dairy industry warns
It's not like the british could raise cows themselves.

before the EU, Britain used to get food, including butter and cheese, from lots of countries. This was severly curtailed by the EU's protectionist policies. I'm sure NZ for instance would be happy to resume butter shipments.
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 56683
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 18th, 2018, 11:59 am

ppauper wrote:
Butter, yoghurt and cheese could become ‘occasional luxuries’ after Brexit, dairy industry warns
It's not like the british could raise cows themselves.

before the EU, Britain used to get food, including butter and cheese, from lots of countries. This was severly curtailed by the EU's protectionist policies. I'm sure NZ for instance would be happy to resume butter shipments.

Assuming the lorries don't crash on the way to the ports.
 
User avatar
ISayMoo
Posts: 941
Joined: September 30th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 18th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Paul wrote:
I am the most positive and least cynical person you will ever meet but I no longer trust most politicians. FWIW the exceptions, who I do think trustworthy, are Farage, Frank Field, JR-M, Sajiv Javid, maybe a few more.

Farage??? This wildlife criminal?
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 68468
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 21st, 2018, 9:49 am

Cuchulainn wrote:
ppauper wrote:
Butter, yoghurt and cheese could become ‘occasional luxuries’ after Brexit, dairy industry warns
It's not like the british could raise cows themselves.

before the EU, Britain used to get food, including butter and cheese, from lots of countries. This was severly curtailed by the EU's protectionist policies. I'm sure NZ for instance would be happy to resume butter shipments.

Assuming the lorries don't crash on the way to the ports.

that won't slow them down. When was the last time a NZer stopped when they had an accident?
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 68468
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 22nd, 2018, 9:18 pm

ISayMoo wrote:
ppauper wrote:
justine greening, whom I've never heard of but whom google says is  a hard core remainer, has called for another brexit referendum with 3 options:
(i) brexit with no deal
(ii) brexit with the deal negotiated by the UK government
(iii) no brexit

Presumably the point is that the "leave" vote will be split between "leave with no deal" and "leave with the deal on offer," allowing "remain" to win

"No Brexit" is no longer an option. UK has initiated the process to leave, it can't just say "sorry, we changed our mind, we want to stay at the old terms after all". Some EU country would be sure to veto it, or at least challenge it in court. In order to stay, the UK would have to basically reapply for membership. It wouldn't be accepted at the old terms.


I know nothing of European law, but there seems to be a wiki on this
Re-entry or unilateral revocation
and they seem to think that the UK could cancel the process and stay, although they do say that it hasn't been tested in court
 
User avatar
ISayMoo
Posts: 941
Joined: September 30th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 22nd, 2018, 11:21 pm

I wouldn't bet on this happening without someone trying to get something for themselves.
 
User avatar
Paul
Topic Author
Posts: 8530
Joined: July 20th, 2001, 3:28 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 29th, 2018, 3:27 am

Paul wrote:
I am the most positive and least cynical person you will ever meet but I no longer trust most politicians. FWIW the exceptions, who I do think trustworthy, are Farage, Frank Field, JR-M, Sajiv Javid, maybe a few more.

And now the Labour Party are trying to get rid of their only sensible MP, Frank Field, to be replaced by a Marxist no doubt. His crime was to vote the same way he has for decades, the same way his constituents wanted and the same way the country wanted. 
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 68468
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 29th, 2018, 6:36 am

the scaremongering continues apace
you can only read the first few paragraphs of this because of a paywall

Army on standby for no-deal Brexit emergency
Ministers have drawn up plans to send in the army to deliver food, medicines and fuel in the event of shortages if Britain crashes out of the EU without a deal.
Blueprints for the armed forces to assist the civilian authorities, usually used only in civil emergencies, have been dusted down as part of the “no deal” planning.
Helicopters and army trucks would be used to ferry supplies to vulnerable people outside the southeast who were struggling to obtain the medicines they needed.


so what's the message here, internal transport in the UK breaks down after leaving the EU and the army is needed to distribute supplies?
 
User avatar
ISayMoo
Posts: 941
Joined: September 30th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 29th, 2018, 8:05 am

Paul wrote:
Paul wrote:
I am the most positive and least cynical person you will ever meet but I no longer trust most politicians. FWIW the exceptions, who I do think trustworthy, are Farage, Frank Field, JR-M, Sajiv Javid, maybe a few more.

And now the Labour Party are trying to get rid of their only sensible MP, Frank Field, to be replaced by a Marxist no doubt. His crime was to vote the same way he has for decades, the same way his constituents wanted and the same way the country wanted. 

"Field nominated [color=#0b0080]Jeremy Corbyn as a candidate in the Labour leadership election of 2015,[23] stating that while he did not think Corbyn could win a general election, he hoped his candidacy would force the party to confront its 'deficit denial'.[24][25][/color]

In December 2017, during a debate on [color=#0b0080]Universal Credit, Field described the impact that Universal Credit changes had had on his constituents. His observations moved Work and Pensions Select Committee member Heidi Allen to tears. Field spoke of how he had talked a man out of suicide and how one claimant felt “lucky” his family was invited to eat food leftover from a funeral."[/color]
Astonishing that Momentum are now trying to get rid of him.
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 56683
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 29th, 2018, 9:03 am

ppauper wrote:
the scaremongering continues apace
you can only read the first few paragraphs of this because of a paywall

Army on standby for no-deal Brexit emergency
Ministers have drawn up plans to send in the army to deliver food, medicines and fuel in the event of shortages if Britain crashes out of the EU without a deal.
Blueprints for the armed forces to assist the civilian authorities, usually used only in civil emergencies, have been dusted down as part of the “no deal” planning.
Helicopters and army trucks would be used to ferry supplies to vulnerable people outside the southeast who were struggling to obtain the medicines they needed.


so what's the message here, internal transport in the UK breaks down after leaving the EU and the army is needed to distribute supplies?

I think they are over-reacting.I am sure no problems here  in the Dundalk-Newry corridoor.

It would be better if they solved the problem. That's why they were elected. Unfortunately, the situation has gone beyond problem-solving at this stage.
 
User avatar
Paul
Topic Author
Posts: 8530
Joined: July 20th, 2001, 3:28 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 29th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Army delivering food? But we’ve been told there’ll be no food. Or medicines.
 
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 68468
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 30th, 2018, 6:40 am

 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 56683
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 30th, 2018, 11:09 am

ppauper wrote:

Any "weeping and gnashing of teeth " or is not that far yet?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...


JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...