SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

 
User avatar
ISayMoo
Posts: 940
Joined: September 30th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 30th, 2018, 1:40 pm

I'm waiting for the Met Office to announce that the sun will stop rising over British Isles unless we stop Brexit.
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 56681
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 30th, 2018, 9:57 pm

ISayMoo wrote:
I'm waiting for the Met Office to announce that the sun will stop rising over British Isles unless we stop Brexit.

You weren't around in that week in October 1987
- Black Monday
- Hurricane (Lloyd's 'names' lost their shirts), i.e. Met Office get it wrong.
- Cuchulainn on his way to set up the largest computer system in Oman.

BREXIT is for wussies.
 
User avatar
bearish
Posts: 3588
Joined: February 3rd, 2011, 2:19 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 30th, 2018, 10:58 pm

I remember much of that week vividly, although news of the UK hurricane was a bit of an afterthought for us. But it was arguably a Brexit force storm.
 
User avatar
ISayMoo
Posts: 940
Joined: September 30th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 31st, 2018, 2:28 pm

I read some time ago about the attacks on FDR's New Deal. Their vehemence and totality reminds me  the anti-Brexit propaganda right now.
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 56681
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 31st, 2018, 4:17 pm

ISayMoo wrote:
I read some time ago about the attacks on FDR's New Deal. Their vehemence and totality reminds me  the anti-Brexit propaganda right now.

What is 'totality?
 
User avatar
ISayMoo
Posts: 940
Joined: September 30th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 31st, 2018, 4:40 pm

The claim that Brexit is 100%, totally bad & evil.
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 68466
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 31st, 2018, 5:39 pm

FDR's 1932 campaign
Who campaigned for a “drastic” reduction of 25 percent in federal spending, a balanced federal budget, a rollback of government intrusion into agriculture, and restoration of a sound gold currency? Roosevelt did. Who called the administration of incumbent Herbert Hoover “the greatest spending administration in peace time in all our history” and assailed it for raising taxes and tariffs? Roosevelt did. FDR’s running mate, John Nance Garner, even declared that Hoover “was leading the country down the road to socialism.”


Once he'd won, FDR changed course and continued the path trodden by wilson of bringing socialism to the US.
Of course, he didn't go far enough for some.

Roosevelt's Critics
One major threat to FDR came from FATHER CHARLES E. COUGHLIN, a radio priest from Detroit. Originally a supporter of the New Deal, Coughlin turned against Roosevelt when he refused to nationalize the banking system and provide for the free coinage of silver. As the decade progressed, Coughlin turned openly anti-Semitic, blaming the Great Depression on an international conspiracy of Jewish bankers. Coughlin formed the NATIONAL UNION FOR SOCIAL JUSTICE and reached a weekly audience of 40 million radio listeners.
Last edited by ppauper on July 31st, 2018, 7:54 pm
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 56681
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

July 31st, 2018, 7:13 pm

ISayMoo wrote:
The claim that Brexit is 100%, totally bad & evil.


Bad. And nostalgic.
 
User avatar
tagoma
Posts: 18233
Joined: February 21st, 2010, 12:58 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

August 2nd, 2018, 8:18 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
ISayMoo wrote:
I'm waiting for the Met Office to announce that the sun will stop rising over British Isles unless we stop Brexit.

You weren't around in that week in October 1987
- Black Monday
- Hurricane (Lloyd's 'names' lost their shirts), i.e. Met Office get it wrong.
- Cuchulainn on his way to set up the largest computer system in Oman.

BREXIT is for wussies.


I'm not surprised that Mrs Thatcher managed to stop the hurricane back then as it was a time of strong leaders in Europe. Remember French managed to stop Chernobyl radioactive cloud at the border!


 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 56681
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

August 2nd, 2018, 8:32 pm

 
User avatar
bearish
Posts: 3588
Joined: February 3rd, 2011, 2:19 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

August 3rd, 2018, 12:47 am

Cuchulainn wrote:
ISayMoo wrote:
The claim that Brexit is 100%, totally bad & evil.


Bad. And nostalgic.

Although nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 56681
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

August 3rd, 2018, 1:14 pm

bearish wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
ISayMoo wrote:
The claim that Brexit is 100%, totally bad & evil.


Bad. And nostalgic.

Although nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Some of my best friends are nostalgic. Doesn't make you a bad person.
 
User avatar
ISayMoo
Posts: 940
Joined: September 30th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

August 4th, 2018, 8:20 am

Is it nostalgic, really? I find that many euroenthusiasts are nostalgic about the "Britain in Europe" dream which turned out to be a failure, because of incompatibilities between the British political tradition and EU (i.e. German) ones, rigidity of the EU when it comes to unrestricted migration, lack of democratic accountability, forcing on the UK barbaric trade practices like live exports or foie gras imports, etc.

I personally found most Leavers to be forward-looking, enthusiastic people who want Britain to be prosper in the world and are great believers in democracy. Meanwhile, many Remainers have this liberal disdain for democracy - they claim to be democrats, but you can clearly see in their faces that they think that the idea that some unwashed Leaver from Hull has the same vote as they, the enlightened federalists from London, is just appalling.
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 56681
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

August 4th, 2018, 10:43 am

ISayMoo wrote:
Is it nostalgic, really? I find that many euroenthusiasts are nostalgic about the "Britain in Europe" dream which turned out to be a failure, because of incompatibilities between the British political tradition and EU (i.e. German) ones, rigidity of the EU when it comes to unrestricted migration, lack of democratic accountability, forcing on the UK barbaric trade practices like live exports or foie gras imports, etc.

I personally found most Leavers to be forward-looking, enthusiastic people who want Britain to be prosper in the world and are great believers in democracy. Meanwhile, many Remainers have this liberal disdain for democracy - they claim to be democrats, but you can clearly see in their faces that they think that the idea that some unwashed Leaver from Hull has the same vote as they, the enlightened federalists from London, is just appalling.

How long is a piece of string? Armchair banter :D
You do not spare on the use of (subjective) adjectives. They mean nothing.

You want nostalgia? Back to the 60s!

Image
 
User avatar
Paul
Topic Author
Posts: 8529
Joined: July 20th, 2001, 3:28 pm

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

August 4th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Who is it who keeps posting music videos from the 1970s? Who is always telling us the news from the country he left decades ago? Who is the fan of the EU? And who is nostalgic?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...


JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...