Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

August 5th, 2018, 10:37 am

“History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.” 

The red line is the 50s (any century)

Besides, give me ECJ any day..

Cuchulainn

August 11th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Not all BREXIT is bad; back to the old days.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articl ... lowance-EU

Cuchulainn

August 25th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Paul
Topic Author

August 27th, 2018, 11:20 am

Just read how "Vanilla Ice Cream" in the UK often contains none of vanilla, milk or cream. Sky News refer to a report by Which? magazine, which refers to recent "Food Information Regulations." Previously there was a certain minimum content requirement. What neither the pro-EU Sky News nor pro-EU Which? magazine mention is that this is an EU regulation. Funny that. More details about this (and unprejudiced information) from the Ice Cream Alliance who are trying to raise standards back to what they used to be: https://www.ice-cream.org/news/ica-launches-new-quality-standard-protect-consumers

Very, very often news stories have a funny feel about them, and on digging just a tiny amount one finds that the hitherto respectable reporting outfit is censoring information that doesn't fit in with some agenda. It's not exactly an earth-shattering story, but I had a few spare minutes and thought I'd use it as an illustration. Are they being lazy? Sky News has a legal requirement to be politically neutral Which? magazine doesn't, but its customers are paying for unbiased information about products. 

ppauper

August 29th, 2018, 6:51 am

Cuchulainn

August 29th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Anyone remember the Cod War? 

Cuchulainn

August 31st, 2018, 9:28 am

Question
What's the craic with UK VAT <->.EU VAT after BREXIT?

Paul
Topic Author

August 31st, 2018, 11:54 am

In a sane world UK VAT for customers in the EU would be like customers in the US. I.e. pretty simple. At the moment if we have an EU customer then we have to worry about whether they are a person or a business, VAT registered or not, what is their VAT number, what is the VAT rate in their country, and so on. Lots of nonsense to go through. I never understood VAT, we go through all that and if you are VAT registered you get it all back anyway. But it keeps bureaucrats in work, people who are otherwise without any utility, and that's the real reason behind governments, especially in the EU where very few people have any utility other than an ability to fill in forms. 

But the EU and Theresa the Appeaser will no doubt 'negotiate' something even more burdensome that what we have already.

ISayMoo

September 2nd, 2018, 9:25 am

The US sales tax is as complex as VAT. Say nothing about their income tax! I work with many US immigrants, I know how much more complex their tax system is from ours.

Paul
Topic Author

September 2nd, 2018, 11:04 am

And they have ridiculously designed forms to fill in! But this is from the perspective of a U.K. business sellingvto EU or US.

Cuchulainn

September 2nd, 2018, 2:12 pm

ISayMoo wrote:
The US sales tax is as complex as VAT. Say nothing about their income tax! I work with many US immigrants, I know how much more complex their tax system is from ours.

Yeah, and each state (e.g. Delaware) has its own tax regime in addition to the bigger picture,
Gore v Bush election counting used HOLLERITH PUNCH CARDS. Meshuggah. Last time I used them in anger was medio 1970s.

In EU we use electric banking with standardised numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... Background

ISayMoo

September 2nd, 2018, 9:44 pm

Which are terribly long. I prefer the UK system (which is IBAN-compatible, BTW).

Cuchulainn

September 3rd, 2018, 6:25 pm

ISayMoo wrote:
Which are terribly long. I prefer the UK system (which is IBAN-compatible, BTW).

You can copy and paste, just once.

ISayMoo

September 3rd, 2018, 9:32 pm

From a paper letter?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...