Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

December 14th, 2019, 5:25 pm

It’s hard to tell how good they’ll be from a photograph. Other than it shows Finland’s famous lack of diversity, just like the EU.
Miles ahead of UK in education, health care, freedom of press, technology, etc.And they have sisu. 

And they can handle their national budget well. Boris will need to borrow yuge $$$.

Who knows, maybe you can rake up some more muck on Finland...

Paul
Topic Author

December 14th, 2019, 6:13 pm

I’m not sure that making people aware of violence can be called “raking up muck.” Thanks to the progressives we have to be very careful with words now. We are all having to learn how to twist people’s words and take them out of context now.

I’ve only been to Finland once. I remember the zoo and the cost of alcohol. But my favorite memory was trying to cross the street in an empty town. No cars in sight. Just a couple of us mathematicians and an old Finnish lady. But the old lady wouldn’t let us. She shooed us with her umbrella until we got to the correct place for crossing. It’s a very undiverse country, lots of groupthink. Not my kind of place at all.

Oh, cheese and crackers! I’ve just remembered something else. Seeing naked male mathematicians running out of a sauna and jumping in a cold lake. I really don’t need that image in my head right now! I blame you, Cuch!

Cuchulainn

December 14th, 2019, 8:04 pm

I used to work with Wartsila shipyard guys who deployed the Medusa CAD. And later with a company that made rubber boots and mobile phones. It was cold.

One of the highlights of a Finnish sauna is being flagellated on the shoulders by a birch vihta.

What was the discussion about in  the sauna? algebraic topology?

BTW if you can write down other countries, I'll not mention them.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on December 14th, 2019, 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bearish

December 14th, 2019, 8:09 pm

I’m not sure that making people aware of violence can be called “raking up muck.” Thanks to the progressives we have to be very careful with words now. We are all having to learn how to twist people’s words and take them out of context now.

I’ve only been to Finland once. I remember the zoo and the cost of alcohol. But my favorite memory was trying to cross the street in an empty town. No cars in sight. Just a couple of us mathematicians and an old Finnish lady. But the old lady wouldn’t let us. She shooed us with her umbrella until we got to the correct place for crossing. It’s a very undiverse country, lots of groupthink. Not my kind of place at all.

Oh, cheese and crackers! I’ve just remembered something else. Seeing naked male mathematicians running out of a sauna and jumping in a cold lake. I really don’t need that image in my head right now! I blame you, Cuch!
This would seem to be one case that screams out for more diversity. Where were the naked female mathematicians when you needed them?

bearish

December 14th, 2019, 8:10 pm

I used to work with Wartsila shipyard guys who deployed the Medusa CAD. And later with a company that made rubber boots and mobile phones. It was cold.
My first experience with Nokia was with their superb orienteering shoes. Very light weight, durable, and reasonably water proof. 

Cuchulainn

December 14th, 2019, 8:11 pm

This would seem to be one case that screams out for more diversity. Where were the naked female mathematicians when you needed them?
Female,politicians better.

Cuchulainn

December 14th, 2019, 8:15 pm

My first experience with Nokia was with their superb orienteering shoes. Very light weight, durable, and reasonably water proof. 
Gave a training to those guys in Oulu a long time ago.(-35 Celsius!)
 I don't do mobile phones (my secretary does that) but I have a Nokia 3310 which I used 4 times ever.

Cuchulainn

December 14th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Oh yes, and I met the real Sanity Claus in Rovaniemi. I bet none of you guys can say that, what?

Paul
Topic Author

December 14th, 2019, 9:02 pm

Female,politicians better.
White male saying that women are better? That’s five “wokens” for you. Collect 100 wokens and you get a free gender reassignment.

Cuchulainn

December 14th, 2019, 9:43 pm

Santa had a grotto and you could visit him and sit on his knee for an extra 15 Euro.

katastrofa

December 14th, 2019, 10:04 pm

It’s hard to tell how good they’ll be from a photograph. Other than it shows Finland’s famous lack of diversity, just like the EU.
Miles ahead of UK in education, health care, freedom of press, technology, etc.And they have sisu. 

And they can handle their national budget well. Boris will need to borrow yuge $$$.

Who knows, maybe you can rake up some more muck on Finland...
What are the outcomes of all those Finnish achievements? It's clearly not fighting alcoholism, obesity or some impressive life expectancy. They are probably myths, just like Norwegians' body height :-P

Cuchulainn

December 14th, 2019, 10:11 pm

It's a more egalitarian country than the Netherlands, for example.
Alcoholism: big problem in all Western/Nordic/US/EE/Russia and u know wha i mean

Except for italians who don't drink but have a drink.;)

bearish

December 14th, 2019, 10:46 pm

The pioneers of blood doping. Lasse Viren, 1972 and 1976 double Olympic gold medalist. Not to mention the XC skiers, which most of the world couldn't care less about, but up North it's a big deal.

katastrofa

December 15th, 2019, 12:50 am

Alcoholism: big problem in all Western/Nordic/US/EE/Russia and u know wha i mean

Except for italians who don't drink but have a drink.;)
The truth is Ukrainians drink very little. Having one beer or glass of wine per week is considered a lot. I feel like a junkie when I go to a pub (and my head is spinning already after 1/2 pint - ask your confider). I haven't been allowed to drink before 18 (the real 18), not even medicinal tinctures or confectionery before 14.
The most "drunk" countries according to my observations: Romania, Germany, Japan, UK, Czechia. (The infamous Russians don't stand a chance.)

ISayMoo

December 15th, 2019, 12:55 am

Is this always a feature? Maybe we should avoid both extremes of inequality?
ABOUT WILMOTT

Wilmott

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...