Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

sgmshaik
Topic Author

cqf advice

April 7th, 2018, 12:15 am

I am hoping someone could give me advice on whether or not to do the CQF . I have an undergraduate in Mathematics and an msc in Advanced Computing. I tried to do a phd 7 yrs ago in Financial Mathematics but did not complete due to health conditions. Since completing the phd isn't an option any more I was wondering if there are any benefits career wise in doing a CQF to brush up on things and get back into the swing. Will doing a cqf be looked down on by prospective employers? Is there any possibility in getting a junior quant role without a phd ? 

Thanks 

ppauper

Re: cqf advice

April 7th, 2018, 10:29 am

Since completing the phd isn't an option any more
"isn't an option" because of your circumstances or because of the university?
if you were ABD (all but dissertation) you could probably be finished in not much more than a year. That might be the best path
Last edited by ppauper on April 8th, 2018, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgmshaik
Topic Author

April 7th, 2018, 12:26 pm

pHd isn't an option because of both. A I don't have the finances to go back without funding and the university sees my position as a failed phd (which is something I accept). my phd research was from 2008-2011. I co-authored 1 paper but I struggled to get my main research topic to work and combined with poor health at the time I left. I had 5 years off from studying while I was only teaching maths before I decided to take an msc in Advanced Computing.. I received a distinction.  

sgmshaik
Topic Author

April 7th, 2018, 3:32 pm

I just wanted to know if doing a CQF would be beneficial in moving to a junior quant role. For someone with my background ? 

bearish

April 7th, 2018, 3:41 pm

It wouldn't be very polite of us to say bad things about the CQF here, but if you spent several years doing legitimate PhD dissertation level research in math finance and have just done your master's degree in advanced computing it feels kind of like a step backwards. If you have the time and money to spend and feel in need of a refresher, it certainly wouldn't hurt, but I don't think you should count on a strong signaling effect. I don't know enough to judge whether there could be useful networking effects and/or other job placement assistance arising from it.

ExSan

April 12th, 2018, 8:07 pm

I am hoping someone could give me advice on whether or not to do the CQF . I have an undergraduate in Mathematics and an msc in Advanced Computing. I tried to do a phd 7 yrs ago in Financial Mathematics but did not complete due to health conditions. Since completing the phd isn't an option any more I was wondering if there are any benefits career wise in doing a CQF to brush up on things and get back into the swing. Will doing a cqf be looked down on by prospective employers? Is there any possibility in getting a junior quant role without a phd ? 

Thanks 
Have you ever consider something different than CQF? what about a Master of Applied Data?
°°° About ExSan bit.ly/3U5bIdq °°°

Cuchulainn

April 13th, 2018, 9:11 am

Seems quite a narrow field to receive the accolade "Master", i.e. Applied Data is too narrow a field, it being a mix of statistical and numerical techniques?? Mind you, it has a catchy ring about it.

To be honest, the UMI video was full of gobbely-gook buzzwords.

ExSan

April 13th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Seems quite a narrow field to receive the accolade "Master", i.e. Applied Data is too narrow a field, it being a mix of statistical and numerical techniques?? Mind you, it has a catchy ring about it.
Is there a master in Data Mining that you would recommend from a well known university in Netherlands/UK/Ireland ?
I found a link time ago, I will try to locate and share it later

Cuchulainn

April 13th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Is there a master in Data Mining that you would recommend from a well known university in Netherlands/UK/Ireland ?
I think you are asking the wrong person, this question.

Maybe?

https://www.scss.tcd.ie/postgraduate/ms ... strand.php

Due to the popularity of the Data Science Strand in the MSc Computer Science, we have ceased to accept any further applications for the academic year 2018/19. Applications will continue to be accepted for the closely-related Intelligent Systems strand as well as the Future Network Systems and Graphics & Vision Technologies strands of the course, however, early applications are advised [ 23rd January, 2018].

I would say there is a good market for these graduates in IRL.

ExSan

April 13th, 2018, 2:12 pm

I think you are asking the wrong person, this question.

Maybe?

https://www.scss.tcd.ie/postgraduate/ms ... strand.php

Due to the popularity of the Data Science Strand in the MSc Computer Science, we have ceased to accept any further applications for the academic year 2018/19. Applications will continue to be accepted for the closely-related Intelligent Systems strand as well as the Future Network Systems and Graphics & Vision Technologies strands of the course, however, early applications are advised [ 23rd January, 2018].

I would say there is a good market for these graduates in IRL.
I got it, Thanks and Regards 
R

ppauper

April 13th, 2018, 9:10 pm

the original poster asked
Is there any possibility in getting a junior quant role without a phd ?
is a Master of Applied Data going to help with that?

ExSan

April 13th, 2018, 10:00 pm

ppauper

April 14th, 2018, 7:58 am

so there's lots of data.
I'm not sure what point people are making.
Does that get him a junior quant role? How specifically?
Or are people telling him to forget about quanting and get a job in applied data instead?

Cuchulainn

April 15th, 2018, 6:22 am

so there's lots of data.
I'm not sure what point people are making.
Does that get him a junior quant role? How specifically?
Or are people telling him to forget about quanting and get a job in applied data instead?
MSc in "Applied Data" could mean anything I suppose. It is probable for marketing reasons. Are we really talking about "Applied CS"?

MSc in Computer Science 
Data Science Strand

Data Science or Big Data has become a hugely important topic in recent years finding applications in Healthcare, Finance, Transportation, Smart Cities and elsewhere.  In this strand, Trinity's leading experts in this field will guide you through how to gather and store data (using IoT and cloud computing technologies, process it (using advanced statistics and techiques such as machine learning) and deliver new insights and knowledge from the data.