Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

katastrofa

Re: Arbitrage when risk-free portfolio earns less than riskless portfolio

July 11th, 2019, 9:57 am

Internet is not a good place to realise one's superiority complex.

trackstar

July 11th, 2019, 10:46 am

frolloos is great, as are all of the others who are seeking life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness elsewhere.

I guess it comes down to what building and nurturing a Community means to each of us.

Extreme natural diversity (Blue Tits, lavender honey tea, and all) or some kind of cold AI-driven dystopia.

Back to my vegetable garden now - and the endless challenge of the Three Hungry Groundhogs.

They are so cute, but all they do is eat! : )
groundhog hungry.jpg
"All yr carefully cultivated leafy greens r belong to Me!"

frolloos

July 11th, 2019, 11:09 am

* edited because I misspelled frolloos. Apologies  to him, it’s been awhile since I saw that name in print. : )

Thank you trackstar - which is why I signed in today to remind you not to misspell, you know how much I dislike spelling mistakes : )

Have a great day in your vegetable garden with the groundhogs. If Rubens would have painted groundhogs, they'd have resembled yours : ) I'll let you know when/if robins care to visit my garden, sadly their numbers have been dwindling here in the Netherlands.
Last edited by frolloos on July 11th, 2019, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

July 11th, 2019, 11:14 am

Indeed, duly noted and corrected in the previous post as well.

(If someone called me frack-star, crackstar, of hackstar, that would be fine, but not correct.) :D

Enjoy the Blue Tits and good to see you here. One of the best things about my groundhogs, chubby as they are, is when I come home in my car and they are in the back garden - 

when they see me drive in, they stumble-tumble over themselves, mouths full of greens, trying to run away.  Hehe.
Last edited by trackstar on July 11th, 2019, 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

katastrofa

July 11th, 2019, 11:15 am

The thing about virtual world is that it quickly exposes people's complexes and what they miss in their lives. I agree that it's not a place for those who are unhappy in the first place. It's a great extension, though - you can meet a soul-mate from the other part of the world rather than limit yourself to the local "strangers", you can meet Cuchulainn, do impossible with other people dedicated to the same cause, ... or simply share something interesting and learn/change your opinions thanks to others. I think it also gives people of all ages a healthy lesson that they are not as special and not as ordinary as they think they are (that's probably why my generation is so laid back). But I wouldn't recommend it if you have low tolerance to being put down from time to time.

trackstar

July 11th, 2019, 11:24 am

Life is short and there are many interesting things to see and do.

For some, leaving is about branching out and seeing what else there is on offer.

Not some kind of insecurity or ego issue. : )

Enjoy your day, and remember what Herbert said in Dune:

"And what do you despise? By this you are truly known."

katastrofa

July 11th, 2019, 11:37 am

As a thank you for the groundhog photo (I've never seen them live!):
00B454F1-6963-466D-8D92-C351C71C8DC2.jpeg
I've been told they are nesting in that region for the first time. Let's keep fingers crossed for this young couple!

katastrofa

July 11th, 2019, 11:50 am

BTW, I have a friend in Ann Arbor. She posts photos of animal visitors in her jarden and the nearby forest very often - there's nowhere like that in Europe! She also hosts a family of groundhogs. She recommended this book:

trackstar

July 11th, 2019, 11:59 am

Very good!

Here is a great film I saw a few weeks ago in Newport - it's opening up at more theaters now.

and a Review from NPR: The Biggest Little Farm

Hard work and many tales within the tale of this small farm a venture-backed start-up in California.

There is a nice trailer on you tube.

And now I really am off the cultivate my garden - a la Candide! ; )

Good day and good luck, Wilmotters!

bearish

July 11th, 2019, 3:59 pm

As a thank you for the groundhog photo (I've never seen them live!):
00B454F1-6963-466D-8D92-C351C71C8DC2.jpeg
I've been told they are nesting in that region for the first time. Let's keep fingers crossed for this young couple!
That’s an impressive nest! Storks?

katastrofa

July 11th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Yes, white storks. We had lots of them in Ukraine, but that photo was actually taken in Northern Spain.

daveangel

July 13th, 2019, 8:04 am

Welcome back - however fleetingly! The biggest change is probably the sudden death of ppauper. Some people (trackstar -- I'm looking at you!) would argue that he was the irritant that stimulated the production of pearls around here. As far as I'm concerned, he was just an irritant. But, for whatever reason, the cadence of postings has slowed down. 
I was wrong - everything has changed. 

Will the last post on wilmott forums be in the student forum ? And will it be on the concept of risk-free portfolios earning no more than the risk-free rate ?
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

frolloos

July 13th, 2019, 3:00 pm

Welcome back - however fleetingly! The biggest change is probably the sudden death of ppauper. Some people (trackstar -- I'm looking at you!) would argue that he was the irritant that stimulated the production of pearls around here. As far as I'm concerned, he was just an irritant. But, for whatever reason, the cadence of postings has slowed down. 

Will the last post on wilmott forums be in the student forum ? And will it be on the concept of risk-free portfolios earning no more than the risk-free rate ?

A last post by "list1" on a critique of the risk-free rate in the Black-Scholes world would be a fitting end. Most / some of us have turned to gardening and can't be arsed anymore.

daveangel

July 13th, 2019, 4:02 pm

A last post by "list1" on a critique of the risk-free rate in the Black-Scholes world would be a fitting end. Most / some of us have turned to gardening and can't be arsed anymore.
sounds like a fitting epitaph.