SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

FaridMoussaoui

Re: Is it possible to "complexify" SDEs?

May 14th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Daniel, have a look to Kunita book: "Stochastic Flows and Stochastic Differential Equations". where you can find formulations like this one:
Let X be a diffusion process, strong solution to the following SDE

[$] dX_t = a(\theta, X_t) dt + b(\theta, X_t) dW_t, ~~X_0 = x [$]

Then [$] Y_t = \frac{\partial X_t}{\partial \theta} [$] is defined as the solution of the following SDE:

[$] dY_t = [a'_{\theta}(\theta, X_t) + a'_{x}(\theta, X_t) Y_t ]dt + [b'_{\theta}(\theta, X_t) + b'_{x}(\theta, X_t)Y_t ]dW_t, [$]
[$] Y_0 = \frac{\partial X_0}{\partial \theta}   [$]

where the primes denote standard derivatives.

Have a look also to Giles work on Vibrato.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 15th, 2019, 8:48 am

Daniel, have a look to Kunita book: "Stochastic Flows and Stochastic Differential Equations". where you can find formulations like this one:
Let X be a diffusion process, strong solution to the following SDE

[$] dX_t = a(\theta, X_t) dt + b(\theta, X_t) dW_t, ~~X_0 = x [$]

Then [$] Y_t = \frac{\partial X_t}{\partial \theta} [$] is defined as the solution of the following SDE:

[$] dY_t = [a'_{\theta}(\theta, X_t) + a'_{x}(\theta, X_t) Y_t ]dt + [b'_{\theta}(\theta, X_t) + b'_{x}(\theta, X_t)Y_t ]dW_t, [$]
[$] Y_0 = \frac{\partial X_0}{\partial \theta}   [$]

where the primes denote standard derivatives.

Have a look also to Giles work on Vibrato.
That's brilliant, Farid. It's exactly what I was looking for. Merci beaucoup.

FaridMoussaoui

May 16th, 2019, 12:01 am

Daniel, do you plan to appy the complex derivative technique on the MC level?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 17th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Daniel, do you plan to appy the complex derivative technique on the MC level?
Hi Farid,
Yes, absolutely! It is worth a try.Now, I have done CSM for vector functions (gradient, Jacobian,..)  and for exact BS a while back.

What I did last few days was to complexify GBM SDE (i.e. all params are complex), create Euler paths and take imaginary part to get vega:

a. The results are good (feels much better than paths for S). Even convergence for convection-dominance e.g. r = .1, v = 0.01 is monotonic.
b. The presence of complex numbers does not adversely affect performance too much. (10% slower than real-valued GBM).
c. I also implemented Kunita SDE as a pair of SDEs in [$](X,Y)[$] using Euler. CSM is at least twice as fast and has better accuracy to date.

Nice is CSM only needs 1 SDE and each sensitivity case can be run in its own thread. With Kunita, seems you need a SDE for each sensitivity (aka boiler-plate code) and more computational cost due to new derivatives in the SDE. BTW Kunita SDE turns out what I thought it should be all along.

//
For higher-order Greeks CSM suffers from round-off errors and then multicomplex CSM enters the fray?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 19th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Sanity (double) check does Katuni approach for [$]dr/d\sigma[$] in CIR model produce the same SDE as that produced from 1st principles using the definition of (Malliavan?) [$]L_p[$] differentiability?
The answer is yes and the SDE is on page 5.

It would have been worrying if 2 distinctly different SDEs had come out of the woodwork.

https://projecteuclid.org/euclid.ecp/1465315573

Numerically, you have to solve for 2X2 system and boiler-;plate code. So, it will be more resource-intensive.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 19th, 2019, 6:37 pm

My read is that Daniel is experimenting with alternative ways to compute vega. It started with the Complex Step Differentiation Method -- hence the complex-valued SDEs. Then it seemed to morph into seeking a real-valued SDE or SDE pair to solve. Beyond that, I don't know and will leave to him ...
I have 
1. CSM
2. Katuni stochastic flow
3. PDE (CSE).. another thread here
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On