Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tosh137
Topic Author

Where can I find: A good analysis of the Asian currency crisis in the late 90's

July 5th, 2004, 8:00 pm

thanks
Last edited by tosh137 on July 4th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Icecloud

July 6th, 2004, 1:21 am

Paul Krugman's website has some good analysis: Paul Krugman

dostojewski

July 6th, 2004, 6:52 pm

An inexhaustible resource for analysis about the Asian Crisis is Nouriel Roubini's Global Macro and Financial Policy Site

farmer

July 6th, 2004, 9:14 pm

Here's a guess: The growth rate was too large a percentage of the gross national product, such that errors in predicting the growth rate when setting the money supply, created large percentage errors in the money supply. Since the error in the money supply should be proportional to the error in production, which should be proportional to the change in production ((year 2 - year 1) / year 1 ). The money supply should approximate what is necessary to maintain the trade of goods at current prices. If the economic growth rate is 2%, then the errors in predicting the necessary money supply might be plus or minus 1%. If the growth rate is 20%, then the error in predicting the necessary money supply might be 10%. A 10% error in money supply can be magnified into a much larger price move. A higher economic growth rate results in a higher prediction error, and thus a larger error in monetary policy as a percentage of the money supply.It's always a safer bet to do something you did last year, then to try to do something new.

Icecloud

July 7th, 2004, 3:53 am

From an FX trading standpoint, prior to the deval most Asian ccys were roughly "pegged" to the USD. With local interest rates substantially higher than US rates, banks shorted the USD ag Asian ccys and played the carry trade. However with central bank reserves dwindling they were forced to free float the market. Everyone caught short USD on the upmove, hence a massive correction...