SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

janickg
Topic Author

Implied Returns

August 12th, 2004, 2:47 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but implied returns are simply returns implied by the respective weights that construct the market/benchmark portfolio?

Gmike2000

Implied Returns

August 12th, 2004, 5:59 pm

The weights alone dont imply any return. You can imply returns from a fund's over/underweights versus a benchmark. If you have the covariance matrix, decompose the excess return vol into marginal (per factor) vol contribution. Then use the expected/historical/assumed information ratio of the fund mgr to get the return implied from exposure to any one of the factors/sectors. I will let you do the algebra...

janickg
Topic Author

Implied Returns

August 12th, 2004, 6:08 pm

So basically, you're saying that I'm calculating the returns of assets in a portfolio that would make it optimal based on a given benchmark. So the returns are implied by the benchmark essentially?

Gmike2000

Implied Returns

August 12th, 2004, 6:23 pm

Yes you are assuming the portfolio manager has positioned himself optimally. Then the returns are implied by the over/underweighting in certain sectors, but also by the info ratio you are assuming.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On