SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

CactusMan
Topic Author

Masters/Honors Thesis Topics

August 31st, 2006, 4:57 pm

I have a great topic for a finance honors thesis for a bright undergrad student. Just pm me.(Might be good for a masters thesis also.)
Last edited by CactusMan on October 10th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CactusMan
Topic Author

October 11th, 2006, 2:37 am

Just a reminder. I am interested in helping with masters or honors thesis topics. I am involved in a few right now, and we are having a great time. I have some topics to suggest, and I am also intersted in being "outside reader" ("expert reader", "industry reader", or whatever your school calls it).Any area of finance, energy, commodities, weather, and freight and shipping. Also interested, in AI, linguistics, and logic (but only if it as some real world application in finance, etc.)All levels--from advanced quant to the day-to-day operations of a credit union.Especially interested in topics on the edge.
Last edited by CactusMan on October 10th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CactusMan
Topic Author

October 15th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Thanks so much for all the responses by pm!How about business students out there doing masters thesis or undergrad honors thesis on bank management?How about economic development and novel ways to use finance for the good of society?I am interested--even if only as outside reader!
Last edited by CactusMan on October 15th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe

October 16th, 2006, 7:44 pm

What is it that you do again cactusman? Helping with thesis topics??

CactusMan
Topic Author

October 17th, 2006, 2:25 am

Cannot give private info on forum.

ppauper

October 17th, 2006, 12:18 pm

I suspect he got bored with licking chocolate off supermodels and needed a hobby to keep busy

CactusMan
Topic Author

October 19th, 2006, 4:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeWhat is it that you do again cactusman? Helping with thesis topics??Yes, CactusMan is fully qualified to do this. Let me say though, that this is for masters thesis and honors thesis, not side projects. Have enough of those already.(TJ is like a thorn in CactusMan's arse, and the last thing a cactus needs is more thorns in its arse!)
Last edited by CactusMan on October 18th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

October 20th, 2006, 12:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeWhat is it that you do again cactusman? Helping with thesis topics??Yes, CactusMan is fully qualified to do this.the school's I'm familiar with don't use external examiners for a honors (undergrad) thesis.For an external for a graduate dissertation, they require a PhD

CactusMan
Topic Author

October 20th, 2006, 2:49 pm

When I did my honors thesis, I worked with an engineer in the industry. It was valuable, because it gave me ideas and a reality check. He was noted as an "expert reader".I have no interest in being an "examiner". This is not about being an "examiner". In fact I don't really care if I'm noted, come to think of it.Anyway, don't be so attached to schools. Students should be in touch with people in the industry. I know of some schools who have profs teching actuary who have NEVER been actuaries! How much sense does that make?I guess 50 years ago, profs and schools were unquestionable sources of knowledge, and if a student just went through the program, he was guaranteed a good job and a good life. But, those days are LONG GONE. Today, schools are businesses, and a student must constantly check the value of the product they are buying.
Last edited by CactusMan on October 19th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CactusMan
Topic Author

October 20th, 2006, 3:26 pm

The bright business or finance student will be interacting with people in the industry, finding out what's going on.
Last edited by CactusMan on October 19th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

October 21st, 2006, 12:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManWhen I did my honors thesis, I worked with an engineer in the industry. It was valuable, because it gave me ideas and a reality check. He was noted as an "expert reader".I have no interest in being an "examiner". This is not about being an "examiner". In fact I don't really care if I'm noted, come to think of it..ah, it's an issue of semantics.What you call a "reader" I would call a "supervisor", "advisor" or "committee member".What I call a "reader", you would call an "examiner".

TraderJoe

October 21st, 2006, 4:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeWhat is it that you do again cactusman? Helping with thesis topics??Yes, CactusMan is fully qualified to do this. Let me say though, that this is for masters thesis and honors thesis, not side projects. Have enough of those already.(TJ is like a thorn in CactusMan's arse, and the last thing a cactus needs is more thorns in its arse!)Sorry, it just sounded like you were trolling for ideas on how to make money, that's all.

CactusMan
Topic Author

October 21st, 2006, 5:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManah, it's an issue of semantics.What you call a "reader" I would call a "supervisor", "advisor" or "committee member".What I call a "reader", you would call an "examiner".How about the terms "Honorary Reader", "Honorary Expert Reader", or "Honorary Hawk on the Shoulder"?
Last edited by CactusMan on October 21st, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CactusMan
Topic Author

October 21st, 2006, 7:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoe...Sorry, it just sounded like you were trolling for ideas on how to make money, that's all.CactusMan is always looking for new ideas to create opportunity and make money. Anyone who is not, shouldn't be involved. (OK, you were just testing me, right?)
Last edited by CactusMan on October 20th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmeenaks

October 22nd, 2006, 10:46 am

Hey,Count me in. I am currently working on my MBA and will continue on to my MS in Quant Finance. I already have a BS and MS in Comp Science. I was looking for a topic to do, got one idea, but not sure if I want to pursue it yet...Thanks,Ram
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On