Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

takingalpha
Topic Author

LaTeX Question

December 20th, 2008, 8:23 am

I am currently working as an RA and I was asked to make a course textbook from a collection of lecture notes. The format requested is LaTeX, and I have some, but limited, familiarity with it. I was wondering if anyone has some advice that could make my life easier, is there a template I can use for text book creation? Is there an easier front end interface to use where you don't have to code ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Alan

LaTeX Question

December 20th, 2008, 2:16 pm

Yes, you want a ready-made LaTex book class template. You can find them on the internet,but my suggestion is, first, ask the prof. who gave you the assignment for one. If he/she doesn'thave one, go knocking on doors in your dept. until you find somebody who will give youone. If that doesn't work, ask the dept. secretary for the template for PhD dissertations,and modify to fit.p.s. This assignment only makes sense of the notes are already .tex files -- if not, the assignment is absurd.
Last edited by Alan on December 19th, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Y0da

LaTeX Question

December 20th, 2008, 8:55 pm

Do a google search for lshort.pdfand read that document.

tags

Re: LaTeX Question

August 17th, 2021, 12:23 pm

hello friends. do you know a website you provide a screenshot of an equation to and it returns back the corresponding latex?
i came across mathpix lately (thanks to @Exsan) that seems quite good, but i don't really wish to install anything on my machine.
thank you.

Alan

August 17th, 2021, 1:27 pm

I wonder if this works

tags

August 17th, 2021, 3:37 pm

I wonder if this works

thank you Alan.
i created an account (free) on their website to try out.
My use cases are now not the most advanced tests for scrriblemyscience as this is NO handwriting, and it is relatively simple mathematical notation. Still, I'm satisfied with the result.
For example, on the pic, top is screenshot from some random website and the bottom is the latex from scribblemyscience rendered into a notebook. (i just made a few changes to separate maths notation from English words, that wasn't managed by scribblemyscience)

Paul

August 17th, 2021, 4:40 pm

Making it even easier for people from, ahem, certain quarters of the planet to steal intellectual property.