SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

macrovue
Topic Author

2 RVs with same distribution should be same a.s ?

December 28th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Two random variables X and Y have the same distiribution and that X<=Y almost surely. Under this condition I have to show that X=Y almost surely.Any clue to start?
Last edited by macrovue on December 27th, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gjlipman

December 28th, 2008, 12:39 pm

It has been so long since I did any of this sort of thing (and wasn't even any good at it back then!), so apologies if I'm way off the mark.I'd go for a proof by contradiction. We know that X>Y with probability zero. Assume that X<Y with probability greater than zero. Then, the expectation of X would have to be less than the expectation of Y. And the distributions would be different - hence contradiction. So thereofre X=Y with probability 1 (almost surely).

ChaitanyaBandi

December 28th, 2008, 3:35 pm

No, its not true at all...for two RVs to be same a.s. they MUST be defined on the same sample space... and conversgence in distribution doesnt gaurantee that.Even if they are defined on the same sample space....take the symmetric random variable X - symmetric wrt 0 . X and -X have the same distribution but no way they are a.s same....

macrovue
Topic Author

December 28th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Would you be more specific?

Alan

December 28th, 2008, 7:07 pm

If I were you, I would pay more attention to glipman's post than ChaitanyaBandi's.

gjlipman

December 28th, 2008, 9:30 pm

While I agree with ChaitanyaBandi that having the same distribution doesn't imply being equal almost surely, with the added statement that X<=Y almost surely, it does become so. Also, we are told that X and Y have the same distribution - so how can they not be defined on the same sample space?

list

December 28th, 2008, 11:08 pm

Denote K the class of the random variables for which your statement is true. Then K contains random variables taking a finite number of different values and their linear combinations. Then the statement holds for pointwise, i.e. omega limit for unifrmly bounded random variables. Then extend the class for the bounded r.v bounded with prob.1. This is standard scheme and i think you can find it in some fundamental probability monographs with details.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On