Ingmar Evers
A Series Solution for Bermudan Options
Applied Mathematical Finance
Volume 12, 2005 - Issue 4
Pages 337-349

outrun

Re: Bermudan Options

April 7th, 2017, 10:45 am

Have you tried the illegal scihub service?

Edit: just checked, they have it if you paste the DOI

ppauper

April 7th, 2017, 11:10 am

thanks, I wasn't aware of the existence of scihub

ppauper

August 10th, 2018, 11:35 am

Out of curiosity, we're always told that American options are like a melting/solidification problem  because of the free boundary (although I think cuch pointed out that water gets mushy so not the melting/solidification of water)

Is there an analogous physical problem for Bermudan options?

Alan

August 10th, 2018, 2:53 pm

Out of curiosity, we're always told that American options are like a melting/solidification problem  because of the free boundary (although I think cuch pointed out that water gets mushy so not the melting/solidification of water)

Is there an analogous physical problem for Bermudan options?
Interesting question. Just speculating -- perhaps if one posited a one-dimensional water-ice interface in which the diffusion coefficient of the water cycled from 0 to D>0 repeatedly, one might get something analogous. So, nothing happens when the diffusion is zero, but then melting proceeds normally when the diffusion is D>0. (Maybe [$]D(t)[$] needs to be periodic with delta function spikes??). I know it sounds quite artificial, but then a one-dimensional water-ice interface (the standard solvable Stefan problem) is also arguably artificial/toy problem. 

In my last book, I asked and answered somewhat of a reverse question: is there an exact financial interpretation/analog of the standard 1D Stefan problem? American-style Black-Scholes puts are a rough analog but not an exact map. (Proof: the std Stefan problem is exactly solvable and the American put problem is not; plus the two free boundaries are well-known to be different). Anyway, I was able to come up with a financial analog that, IMO, wasn't too much of a stretch. It's all in Chapter 9: 'Back to basics: update on the discrete dividend problem'. 

ppauper

August 10th, 2018, 5:39 pm

ok, so it looks like there's no naturally analogous physical problem but it may be possible to create something that's horribly contrived

Alan

August 10th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Yeah, in fact thinking some more, I don't think setting D=0 in-between exercise dates is analogous to Bermudans at all. So, not even sure there is a horribly contrived answer!  :D

Since the most basic Bermudan exercise policy is simply European exercise, maybe the place to start is: what is a physical analog of that one?