SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Alkmene
Topic Author

Var-Covar matrix simple

September 23rd, 2009, 9:26 pm

Guys,thanks for any help on this; I guess it is covered somehow by all the questions and answers on this topic discussed before but I can't filter the necessary bits to understand the following.If I am trying to model some kind of set of RVs (call it a basket of sorts) I need to consider the case where the Cov/Corrs are non zero.Suppose I can infer the expected value of the Volatility from some market (implied vols from traded options) but there is no market for the correlation not even implied, how do I mix historical correlation and implied vols to get a consistent Var/Covar matrix? Anything I need to look out for? E.g., could the situation arise where CoVar(x,y)/((Var(x)*Var(y))^.5 > or < +1 or -1 when I mix those implied with historical values?Thanks,Alk

PatrickM

Var-Covar matrix simple

October 2nd, 2009, 1:51 pm

You can't have negative eigenvalues. Do the eigenvalue matrix decomposition, if you can, and then substitute zeros for all the negative eigenvalues, then multiply back together to get a usable covariance matrix.

ACD

Var-Covar matrix simple

October 2nd, 2009, 2:07 pm

This paper may be useful tooThe most general methodology to create a valid correlation matrix for risk management and option pricing purposes
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On