SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Topic Author

Urgent ARMA-GARCH Question

April 7th, 2010, 9:59 pm

I have a financial time series, and I want to fit the financial time series to ARMA(1,1) with GARCH(1,1) volatility. How could I estimate the values of the coefficients in the specified model, preferrably in Matlab? Thanks very much in advanced.

msperlin

April 8th, 2010, 9:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: 89578251I have a financial time series, and I want to fit the financial time series to ARMA(1,1) with GARCH(1,1) volatility. How could I estimate the values of the coefficients in the specified model, preferrably in Matlab? Thanks very much in advanced.Go to matlab and type:eval('Estimate Arma(1,1)-Garch(1,1) Model NOWWW!!!')Don't forget the caps "now", otherwise it will estimate the model in 5 minutes. If that doesn't work, then type:help('garchfit')

Topic Author

April 9th, 2010, 4:05 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: msperlinQuoteOriginally posted by: 89578251I have a financial time series, and I want to fit the financial time series to ARMA(1,1) with GARCH(1,1) volatility. How could I estimate the values of the coefficients in the specified model, preferrably in Matlab? Thanks very much in advanced.Go to matlab and type:eval('Estimate Arma(1,1)-Garch(1,1) Model NOWWW!!!')Don't forget the caps "now", otherwise it will estimate the model in 5 minutes. If that doesn't work, then type:help('garchfit')I can't understand your command. How could you fit the model without an argument for the data?By the way I input your command into the command window in Matlab, an error appeared as stated below.??? Error using ==> evalUndefined function or method 'Estimate' for inputarguments of type 'char'.Welcome more discussion.

ACD

April 9th, 2010, 8:24 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: msperlinQuoteOriginally posted by: 89578251I have a financial time series, and I want to fit the financial time series to ARMA(1,1) with GARCH(1,1) volatility. How could I estimate the values of the coefficients in the specified model, preferrably in Matlab? Thanks very much in advanced.Go to matlab and type:eval('Estimate Arma(1,1)-Garch(1,1) Model NOWWW!!!')Don't forget the caps "now", otherwise it will estimate the model in 5 minutes. If that doesn't work, then type:help('garchfit')If only all programming languages had such simple to use and intuitive functions.

msperlin

April 9th, 2010, 9:12 am

QuoteI can't understand your command. How could you fit the model without an argument for the data?Sorry I forgot about it.Just type:eval('Mr Matlab, x is my dependent variable. Thanks'); QuoteBy the way I input your command into the command window in Matlab, an error appeared as stated below.??? Error using ==> evalUndefined function or method 'Estimate' for inputarguments of type 'char'.Welcome more discussion. It seems you're missing the drivers for matlab's telepatic communication. But you can test it out using:while 1fprintf(1,'this %s %s %s\n','is','a','joke')end
Last edited by msperlin on April 8th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msperlin

April 9th, 2010, 9:14 am

Jokes aside, have a look in the help files for the function garchfit. If you have never worked with matlab, I suggest for you to have a look in Eviews, which is easier to use.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On