SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

alinastef
Topic Author

Fitting a Student's t distribution

August 10th, 2011, 10:11 am

Hello,I'm trying to fit a Student's t distribution to the data (because I have fatter tails), how can I do it and obtain the number of degrees of freedom? Matlab offers normfit for fitting a normal distribution, and it also offers fits for many other distributions but not for Student's t. Thanks.

Alan

August 10th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Read about Maximum Likelihood estimation in any statistics text.

alinastef
Topic Author

August 10th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Thanks.

ronm

August 11th, 2011, 5:14 pm

for estimating d.f., MLE may not be good approach. If you are really sure the DGP is some t distribution then you may try with standard statistical tests applied to infer the population distribution like KS test etc, with different d.f. values. Otherwise you can check graphically with Q-Q plot etc.However please be warned that those tests are just for rejection, not really for acceptance.Thanks,

Alan

August 11th, 2011, 5:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ronmfor estimating d.f., MLE may not be good approachwhy not?

yuryr

August 17th, 2011, 9:38 am

Student-t can be fitted using EM iterative algorithm (which is maximum likelihood) Look at this paper for example.This distribution is more stable with regards to outliers (unlike Normal...).

list

August 17th, 2011, 10:20 am

Student-t compare Gaussian model distribution with a histogram of a given sample observation. From the common sense more degrees of freedom is better than less. From my memory in old statistics books that studied before software replaced hand calculations it was recommended that in each cell should be more than 30 observations. This somewhat guarantees reliability of the test.

ACD

August 17th, 2011, 10:58 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: listStudent-t compare Gaussian model distribution with a histogram of a given sample observation. From the common sense more degrees of freedom is better than less. From my memory in old statistics books that studied before software replaced hand calculations it was recommended that in each cell should be more than 30 observations. This somewhat guarantees reliability of the test.I think you're referring to the t-test rather fitting a student-t distribution.

list

August 17th, 2011, 11:05 am

QuoteI think you're referring to the t-test rather fitting a student-t distribution.Sorry, you are right
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On