SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

DoubleTrouble
Topic Author

Fundamental FX Delta question

November 20th, 2014, 10:18 pm

Hi!I'm currently reading Iain Clark's book Foreign Exchange Option Pricing and I got stuck at one sentence in the beginning of Section 3.3 that I feel is important to understand. He writes:Quote FX volatility smiles are characterized by providing volatilities, not as a function of strike, but as a function of delta. The choice of delta as the parameter describing the volatility smile is sensible, as otherwise a strike that might correspond to a considerably out-of-the-money option for small T would be very close to at-the-money for large T.where by T he refers to the time left until expiry of the option. My question is: how do you know (or argue) that just because there is an option with expiry in 1 week that is out-of-the-money a similar option (with bigger T) will be very close to at-the-money?Thanks in advance!

acastaldo

November 21st, 2014, 3:07 am

Well, the S&P is at 2000 now. That it should be 2200 in 1 week is unlikely yes? But 2200 in 1 year is not very far away. So both options are 200 points (or 10%) out of the money in terms of strike but the short term one is farther out of the money in terms of Delta, E(S-K)+ or probability of exercise. But it is a somewhat non-standard use of "out of the money".
Last edited by acastaldo on November 20th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleTrouble
Topic Author

November 27th, 2014, 1:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: acastaldoWell, the S&P is at 2000 now. That it should be 2200 in 1 week is unlikely yes? But 2200 in 1 year is not very far away. So both options are 200 points (or 10%) out of the money in terms of strike but the short term one is farther out of the money in terms of Delta, E(S-K)+ or probability of exercise. But it is a somewhat non-standard use of "out of the money".Thank you very much for your answer. So what you are saying is basically that:A (very) short term option that is 10% out of the money (in terms of strike) will have a delta pretty close to 0. The ATM option will have a delta pretty close to 0.5.A longer term option that is 10% out of the money (in terms of strike) will have a delta that is significantly larger than 0 but the but the ATM option will still be pretty close to 0.5-ish.So given one volatility skew, delta is a more accurate measure of how much you are in the money or out of the money compared to simply using the S/K-moneyness and hence you will pick a more realistic volatility from the surface. I have a follow-up question:Doesn't traders usually have a "full volatility surface" i.e. different skews for different expires (1w, 1m, 3m, 6m, 1y, etc). In this case, is there any advantage of using a delta parametrization? I hope this question makes senseThanks in advance!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On