Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

roundandround
Topic Author

Books for systematically learning about the markets

July 4th, 2015, 7:52 am

I am a Math/Stats literate individual who wants to get into systematic investing. No prior finance background. What books (and/or other resources) can I use to systemically educate myself? I am looking to set a broad foundation first, before getting into the details. I would like to learn a bit about market terminology, their general functioning (what are stocks, bonds, MFs, what factors influence the markets...), equities, derivatives, learn a bit about micro/macro economics, general banking, etc. Pretty much the whole gamut. I know this is a lifetime of work, but one has to start somewhere. Thanks in advance.

Alan

July 4th, 2015, 3:26 pm

Haven't read it, but something like Investments (Bodie, et al) should give you a good start. This is a common textbook.

roundandround
Topic Author

July 5th, 2015, 5:38 am

Checked it out at a local bookstore, liked it very much, bought it ! Thanks. I am still keeping my ears open for other good books...
Last edited by roundandround on July 4th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maelo

July 21st, 2015, 5:00 pm

Random Walk Down Wall Street.I'm BACK!!!

Traden4Alpha

July 21st, 2015, 6:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MaeloRandom Walk Down Wall Street.I'm BACK!!!Welcome back.

tags

July 21st, 2015, 6:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: MaeloRandom Walk Down Wall Street.I'm BACK!!!Welcome back.Welcome back, indeed!

list1

July 23rd, 2015, 3:20 pm

Is a Math/Stats literate individual it makes sense to start paper investing. Say imagine that you invest 100 in each of DJI, SSE, DAX also other names like gold, oil or something that you are interested. Right in excel each day what happen with value of your portfolio and what do you think is the better initial distribution, start new distribution in a week and keep writing the old table. Later start to calculate regression coefficients. You will see that some news in yahoo and other site somewhat related to data moves. Try to define yourself market risk for your individual assets. Then take a look at the books how your investment knowledge corresponds to professional recommendations. It will be easier to comprehend others when you have some experience

daveangel

July 24th, 2015, 7:25 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: MaeloRandom Walk Down Wall Street.I'm BACK!!!Welcome back.Welcome back, indeed!Maelo and list are back. A coincidence ?
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

jonasre

July 24th, 2015, 2:46 pm

I'd say the CFA Level I curriculum could be exactly what you are looking for. Try to get your hand on it, second hand should be quite cheap I'd say on ebay.Here's what's in it:Ethical and Professional Standards Exam Weight: 15%Quantitative Methods Exam Weight: 12%Economics Exam Weight: 10%Financial Reporting and Analysis Exam Weight: 20%Corporate Finance Exam Weight: 7%Portfolio Management Exam Weight: 7%Equity Exam Weight: 10%Fixed Income Exam Weight: 10%Derivatives Exam Weight: 5%Alternative Investments Exam Weight: 4%CFA Level 1

roundandround
Topic Author

July 25th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Nice suggestions everyone. Thanks a lot !