Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: My Dinner with ChatGPT

March 8th, 2024, 5:59 pm

Clearly my sense of humour is contagious.
Depends on the country; up until recently Junior did not consider to be a joking matter.

// BTW a great piece and very accurate; some words are ambiguous, e.g. "touch" 

I think ChatGPT is American.
Too many adjectives.....

jasonbell

March 8th, 2024, 8:32 pm

In life, in death, in AI or any other digital form. Paul has my debit card number on record. The obit was free and I nodded along in places too! :)

46% of GPT4 training data was English language, so basically yes, it's American. 

It will be interesting to see what Mistral AI do with other language translation models. I'm sure MSFT's $16m investment to hedge against OpenAI being in and out of court won't hurt either. 

Now we just need algo to self correct all the "experts" on Linkedin, then the world will be a more tolerable and happier place.
Twitter: @jasonbelldata
Author of Machine Learning: Hands on for Developers and Technical Professionals (Wiley).

Paul

March 8th, 2024, 8:55 pm

Only four digits, unfortunately.

That's the credit card, not the touching.

jasonbell

March 8th, 2024, 9:03 pm

Okay but 1 in 10,000,000,000 to get the other twelve. Even a little Colab accelerator will do 4 trillion computations a second. You'll get it before bedtime, the number.... not the.... nevermind. 

:) 
Author of Machine Learning: Hands on for Developers and Technical Professionals (Wiley).

Alan
Topic Author

March 15th, 2024, 6:31 pm

jasonbell

March 16th, 2024, 1:48 pm

This won't be released until later in the year, though judging from the CTO of OpenAI interview during the week, there might be a rethink. Publicly available data is much different to public domain. 

Cuchulainn

March 27th, 2024, 3:37 pm

I feel that AGI is doable with GPT-7.

jasonbell

March 27th, 2024, 9:02 pm

I feel that AGI is doable with GPT-7.
Are you going to wear a leather jacket and hold up a bit of black perspex as well? 

AGI feels a very long way off, unless you're on Linkedin.....

Cuchulainn

March 29th, 2024, 12:35 pm

LI is full of AI alchemists. Even Isaac Newton dabbled in alchemy.

Alan
Topic Author

March 29th, 2024, 5:59 pm

I put the question to you-know-who:

Artificial General Intelligence (AGI), often referred to as singularity, is the point at which machines possess human-level thinking and rapidly accessible near-perfect memory. While there’s no precise date, experts have shared their insights:
  1. Consensus View: Most AI experts believe AGI will happen before the end of this century. In the 2010s, the consensus was that it would take around 50 years. However, recent advancements in Large Language Models (LLMs) have led some researchers to update their views. For instance, Geoffrey Hinton estimated in 2023 that it could take 5-20 years1.
  2. Current Status: Although narrow AI solutions surpass humans in specific tasks, a truly generally intelligent machine remains elusive. Large language models exhibit emerging, more generalist capabilities, but true AGI is yet to exist1.
  3. Survey Results:
  4. Expert Opinions:

In summary, while AGI’s exact arrival remains uncertain, ongoing research and technological progress continue to shape our understanding of this transformative field.