SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: Statistical data gather for you

May 3rd, 2019, 1:29 am

I do actually consider myself a finance expert, but claim zero knowledge of machine learning and only moderate skills in statistics. 

MarkBrezina
Topic Author

May 3rd, 2019, 2:56 am

That's very good to hear. If you say trackstar, I'll dig down into him as well, I presume I'll end up seeing the same, he has had messages on ODEs, PDEs, machine learning and much more in that regard, meanwhile if I go to the students forum, these guys(like myself) are asking simple questions on variance and normal distributions. I have accepted your invite on linked in and I've gotten my IQ measured to be somewhere in the top 1%, I am a member in Mensa Denmark.

I must say, I really do like your jokes about headbanging, the motley crüe? :D

trackstar

May 3rd, 2019, 3:34 am

He is just teasing - you would not want to waste too much time digging down on me.
And anyway, that is done by invitation only, especially for men from Denmark. ; )

Some of us are or were just here to relax and spend time pleasantly with friends and acquaintances.

Here is something for you on your journey,

“Of that I shall have also cause to speak,
And from his mouth whose voice will draw on more.
But let this same be presently perform'd,
Even while men's minds are wild, lest more mischance
On plots and errors happen.”

Indeed there have been many plots and errors on Wilmott Forum over the years.

Welcome and good luck!

Ghostly TS, exeunt.

MarkBrezina
Topic Author

May 3rd, 2019, 3:39 am

Thank you very much trackstar.
I will do my very best to understand the depth of knowledge stored in the quote.

katastrofa

May 3rd, 2019, 2:04 pm

I have accepted your invite on linked in and I've gotten my IQ measured to be somewhere in the top 1%, I am a member in Mensa Denmark.

Congratulations! You don't have parasites :-)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20591860

BTW, top 1% of what? A group of teenagers from a Western country or malnourished children in Chad? Or maybe a representative sample of the world population?

(Don't get me wrong. It's nothing personal. I just have some issues with statistics.)

MarkBrezina
Topic Author

May 3rd, 2019, 2:10 pm

Yeah in all reality, Mensa is just a group of pattern recognizers, I'm usually not around the other people in the organization, but I was curious about where I would be in the "standard curve". In all reality being intelligent is just the same as having large peacock feathers ;)

Cuchulainn

May 3rd, 2019, 3:27 pm

I have accepted your invite on linked in and I've gotten my IQ measured to be somewhere in the top 1%, I am a member in Mensa Denmark.

BTW, top 1% of what? A group of teenagers from a Western country or malnourished children in Chad? Or maybe a representative sample of the world population?

(Don't get me wrong. It's nothing personal. I just have some issues with statistics.)
Top 1% in DK, which makes him a genius.That means he just about eligible to join Wilmott.

MarkBrezina
Topic Author

May 3rd, 2019, 4:41 pm

Uhmmm... Fish?

MarkBrezina
Topic Author

May 3rd, 2019, 9:51 pm

I think this here is the most interesting until now.
The first is basically politics/news/current affairs
Second is maths
Companies/markets/finance
Dealing with people
IT
Attachments
Skærmbillede (98).png
Skærmbillede (98).png (10.88 KiB) Viewed 280 times

bearish

May 3rd, 2019, 10:40 pm

Quoting from your link, which made for eye-opening reading: "Infectious disease remains the most powerful predictor of average national IQ when temperature, distance from Africa, gross domestic product per capita and several measures of education are controlled for." (boldness added)

MarkBrezina
Topic Author

May 3rd, 2019, 10:41 pm

Oh my lord, that is kinda crazy

MarkBrezina
Topic Author

May 3rd, 2019, 11:23 pm

Guys is it common for the forum to have something like 100 guests around 12pm CET?

Cuchulainn

May 4th, 2019, 10:56 am

I can a bit of Nordic languages, but this very worrying. BTW, since when is Finland in Scandinavia? What about Iceland IQ?
Anyways, It seems the Danes are keeping the Nordic aspidistra flying.

Under stora delar av 1900-talet har vi fått allt högre poäng i tester som mäter intelligenskvoten (IQ). Trenden har gällt så gott som alla länder där mätningar har gjorts. Effekten har beräknats till nästan 3 poäng per decennium när den varit som starkast. En av huvudförklaringarna är att 1900-talets skola och arbetsliv blivit allt mer abstrakt och rationellt, och att detta påverkat vårt sätt att tänka. Det här upptäcktes av den nyzeeländske statsvetaren James Flynn för ett par decennier sedan, och fenomenet kallas Flynn-effekten.
Men i en ny artikel i tidskriften Intelligence så visar James Flynn att IQ nu minskar i de skandinaviska länderna. Norge, Danmark och Finlands utveckling är påtagligt lika under sent 1900-tal och tidigt 2000-tal. Det handlar om en genomsnittlig förlust på 0,23 IQ-poäng per år sedan 1990-talet. Inte mycket per år – men på sikt en kraftig effekt. Både Finland och Norge har alltså tappat flera poäng sedan 1990-talet. I Danmark är minskningen något mindre. Sverige saknar data för senare år, men har legat mycket nära grannländerna i mätningarna under 1990-talet. James Flynn tror därför att det sker en motsvarande minskning även i Sverige.
Kan vi vända denna nya trend?
– Jag vet faktiskt inte, säger James Flynn. Men det är långt viktigare att vi använder oss av den stora och faktiska ökning vi upplevt på lång sikt till något vettigt, än att bekymra oss över ett mindre fall. En bra sak vore om fler läste tjocka böcker, gärna om historia.

MarkBrezina
Topic Author

May 4th, 2019, 11:21 am

Alright so the flynn-effect is "just" the discovery that exposure to abstraction produces abstract thinking?
Are you swedish?
Also I'm guessing the IQ must slowly rise and the ones who don't follow will slowly die out.

bearish

May 4th, 2019, 11:44 am

Just to tidy up with a few known facts that seems to have gone awry here. Finland is neither part of the geographical or cultural Scandinavia, although counts as one of the Nordic countries. Cuch hails from Ireland but lives in the Netherlands and has a history of skiing in Norway. And trackstar is very much a “she”.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On