SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

SWilson
Topic Author

Volatility for Commodity Swaption

October 11th, 2019, 3:21 pm

I have a swaption that when exercised it has 12 delivery months as a strip, all or nothing.  I have the implied volatilites of the options and I have a historical vol of the underlying prices.  What is a good starting point to model the volatility of this swaption?? 

SWilson
Topic Author

Re: Volatility for Commodity Swaption

October 11th, 2019, 9:46 pm

Im using an implied forward which seems to hold up for now.  Thanks.  

tw

October 13th, 2019, 4:10 pm

I have a swaption that when exercised it has 12 delivery months as a strip, all or nothing.  I have the implied volatilites of the options and I have a historical vol of the underlying prices.  What is a good starting point to model the volatility of this swaption?? 
There are numerous models for term structure in commodities, each of which could put a price on your swaption.
Some the classic stuff from the 90s (stochastic convenience yield, Gabillon etc) might be a starting point.
The first thing I would do is inspect the shape of the vol term structure and see if that could be easily fit from any of the models.
Is it a standard backwardation? Is it humped?
Is it even reliable data with decent liquidity for each month ? Is the magnitude of the monthly term structure excessive ?
If your chosen model describes that well it’s swaption price will be believable.

Often the liquidity of the underlying products can be a guide. Which is more actively traded? The 12 month future of the calendar swap ?

Depending on the commodity I have seen modelling sophistication vary between libor style models and marking the calendar at the average of the 7th and 8th month.

What is the commodity ?

SWilson
Topic Author

October 14th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Natural gas.  It's a pretty standard curve with some seasonality.  I ran a few different stochastics but I am still working on it.  i was messing around with SABR and Heston but SABR is really more for interest rates that have different tenors. 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On