SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: UK going to the dogs

June 8th, 2019, 6:53 pm

Touché! I got lost in the meanders of the UK cannabis law. Obvsly, they were smoking home-grown.

Paul

June 8th, 2019, 7:32 pm

I’ve never had much luck growing poppies.

ISayMoo

June 8th, 2019, 7:42 pm

I don’t think any politicians have yet admitted to dealing.
Possession is also a crime: https://www.gov.uk/penalties-drug-possession-dealing

ISayMoo

June 8th, 2019, 7:42 pm

katastrofa

June 8th, 2019, 7:52 pm

I’ve never had much luck growing poppies.
We had the whole plantation years ago. I remember once I was helping with the harvest and I split the dry poppy heads to eat the seeds from time to time. By night when we finished I was completely stoned - mumbling that I would die in sleep and making my will (my only "possession" was a big black rescued cat).

I don’t think any politicians have yet admitted to dealing.
Possession is also a crime: https://www.gov.uk/penalties-drug-possession-dealing
Really?! Good to know! ;-)

katastrofa

June 9th, 2019, 12:07 am

"The last men standing" as my grandpa used to say about Britain with respect.

I once wrote about Polish and Czech officers being treated unfairly after the war by the British government, but I think everybody understands there was Stalin whom the Britons didn't want to tease by giving Poles any prominent place. Whatever has been said and written then, the author was an unimaginable pain and anger of people who had their world destroyed or stolen, and family not just murdered by the German hands.

tw

June 10th, 2019, 8:50 pm

It is all just empty vice signalling.

ISayMoo

June 10th, 2019, 10:27 pm

Lightweights. IDS, the author of Universal Credit, could beat them all by taking responsibility for the increase in suicide rate in the UK.

Cuchulainn

June 11th, 2019, 10:23 pm

“The Tory grassroots in particular are something of a breed apart from their Labour, Lib Dem and SNP counterparts.”

The report found Tory members were authoritarian and resistant to ideas of political correctness, with 54 per cent in favour of the death penalty, compared to 23 per cent of SNP supporters, 9 per cent of Labour and 8 per cent of Lib Dems.

bearish

June 12th, 2019, 12:28 am

That mirrors US sentiments, mutatis mutandis. In a Pew study from last year 77% of republicans and 35% of democrats were in favor of the death penalty for convicted murderers. Among evangelicals (aka Trump lovers) the numbers were 73% in favor vs 19% against because, you know, that's what Jesus wants. 

ISayMoo

June 12th, 2019, 12:29 am

“The Tory grassroots in particular are something of a breed apart from their Labour, Lib Dem and SNP counterparts.”

The report found Tory members were authoritarian and resistant to ideas of political correctness, with 54 per cent in favour of the death penalty, compared to 23 per cent of SNP supporters, 9 per cent of Labour and 8 per cent of Lib Dems.
All "party faithful" are similar: aggressive, intolerant and boring. Doesn't matter if it's Tory or Labour.

Cuchulainn

June 12th, 2019, 8:47 am

That mirrors US sentiments, mutatis mutandis. In a Pew study from last year 77% of republicans and 35% of democrats were in favor of the death penalty for convicted murderers. Among evangelicals (aka Trump lovers) the numbers were 73% in favor vs 19% against because, you know, that's what Jesus wants. 
In fairness, you have a bigger chance of being strung up by a Tory than by the Labour faithful. SNP is in-between for some strange reason.
Hung, drawn and quartered went out of fashion. Only in Braveheart. Lib Dems soft on crime?

Maybe they read too many Lewis Carroll's books...

ISayMoo

June 12th, 2019, 9:53 am

On social media, my attempts to discuss things like NHS with various "Labour supporters" were often met with a curt reply (probably triggered by my foreign-sounding name) "If you don't like it here, go home".

Among people I know personally, the Tory-leaning ones tend to be friendlier. I think for some people support left-wing causes is a way of atoning for having a nasty personality.

Cuchulainn

June 13th, 2019, 9:12 am

ImageImage

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On