SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

TidalFlood

Re: UK going to the dogs

March 29th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Like a moon-light shadow.

Paul, have you ever been surfing in the ocean before?

ppauper

March 30th, 2018, 5:48 am

Hopefully, multiple digits crossed, we may have a very qualified witness to described what happened.
I also find the lack of hard evidence presented to the public worrying. Maybe the UK government has a lot of hard evidence pointing at Russia, but (differently from Russia) we are a democracy. They should not risk an open conflict with a major world power without presenting the evidence to the public. After the catastrophe of Blair's "Iraq dossier", expecting us to take their word for it is too arrogant. Corbyn is right to ask them for more evidence.
what light do you expect the daughter to shine on the case?
the latest theory seems to be that their house door knob was poisoned but the nerve agent didn't take effect until several hours later and in the interim they carried on regardless rather than going to hospital or taking a shower and changing their clothes.
Perhaps the daughter saw a suspicious looking man in a hazmat suit applying the toxin to the door handle but thought nothing of it at the time?

ppauper

March 30th, 2018, 6:26 am

it seems we can add iran to the list of countries that can make novichoks
Iranian chemists identify Russian chemical warfare agents

tw

March 30th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Litvienko and Markov were both able to identify their assassins. I am sure some relevant info is known.

Hopefully, multiple digits crossed, we may have a very qualified witness to described what happened.
I also find the lack of hard evidence presented to the public worrying. Maybe the UK government has a lot of hard evidence pointing at Russia, but (differently from Russia) we are a democracy. They should not risk an open conflict with a major world power without presenting the evidence to the public. After the catastrophe of Blair's "Iraq dossier", expecting us to take their word for it is too arrogant. Corbyn is right to ask them for more evidence.
what light do you expect the daughter to shine on the case?
the latest theory seems to be that their house door knob was poisoned but the nerve agent didn't take effect until several hours later and in the interim they carried on regardless rather than going to hospital or taking a shower and changing their clothes.
Perhaps the daughter saw a suspicious looking man in a hazmat suit applying the toxin to the door handle but thought nothing of it at the time?

Paul

March 30th, 2018, 4:08 pm

The unifying theme among Russian women I have known is the desire for a UK passport. It goes: marriage to gullible Brit, gain UK passport, rapid divorce. This poisoning might end with the same result, but is a somewhat riskier route.

ISayMoo

March 31st, 2018, 9:16 am

Assuming she'll be mentally capable of being a witness, and that she won't lie.

ppauper

March 31st, 2018, 10:07 am

meanwhile the tit-for-tat escalation continues
Russia say Aeroflot plane searched in London 'by UK authorities'
this is bizarre
It comes after Russia claimed UK authorities searched one of their planes at a London airport in what they called a "blatant provocation".
The Russian Embassy in the UK said in a statement: "Today, we have witnessed another blatant provocation by the British authorities.
"Border Force and Customs officers have searched the aircraft that was conducting the Aeroflot flights 2582 / 2583, Moscow - London - Moscow.
got that, "Border Force and Customs officers"

The response from the UK was a tweet from the Metropolitan Police denying that they had searched the plane
Metropolitan Police ✔ @metpoliceuk
We are aware of a story circulating on social media. Please be advised that Metropolitan Police are not conducting a search of an Airbus inbound from Moscow at Heathrow.
Except the Russians didn't say it was the Metropolitan Police, they said it was Border Force and Customs officers

ppauper

March 31st, 2018, 10:12 am

katastrofa

March 31st, 2018, 10:29 am

The unifying theme among Russian women I have known is the desire for a UK passport. It goes: marriage to gullible Brit, gain UK passport, rapid divorce. This poisoning might end with the same result, but is a somewhat riskier route.
Ukrainian women are worse. They marry gullible men and do not want to divorce them.

tw

March 31st, 2018, 3:49 pm

Ukrainian women are worse. They marry gullible men and do not want to divorce them.
Oh my goodness, how terrible. Where can I sign up?

ppauper

March 31st, 2018, 8:47 pm

a lot of people have said that this sounds like something out of a movie.
They are wrong. It was a TV series, shown on cinemax in the US and sky in the UK
novichok tv
Strike Back (TV series)

Cuchulainn

April 1st, 2018, 8:54 am

Oh my goodness, how terrible.  Where can I sign up?
Where can the forms be sent to?
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

Paul

April 1st, 2018, 12:53 pm

Ukrainian mothers-in-law...comedy gold!

ppauper

April 1st, 2018, 8:19 pm

Paul

April 1st, 2018, 9:14 pm

I have been saying for years that NYC is far safer than London, provided you stay out of certain NYC neighbourhoods. For an average person doing average things there is no doubt which is the safer, and friendlier, city.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On