SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

AbhiJ

let me give you young people a tip about work: it's not worth it

October 3rd, 2010, 7:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: KackToodlesIf you have a chance to not work, TAKE IT. If you seek to make work your life, you are a fool. True for 99% of people.

mrmister

October 3rd, 2010, 8:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: KackToodlesIf you have a chance to not work, TAKE IT. If you seek to make work your life, you are a fool. Since you are unemployed (not by choice), you certainly are the right person to be giving out this advice.

KackToodles

October 3rd, 2010, 9:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AbhiJTrue for 99% of people. Read about a poor PhD physicist's search for truth, love, and a JOB on wall street here (and this person is NOT me):a journey from physics to finance and out again

traderjoe1976

October 3rd, 2010, 10:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: KackToodlesQuoteOriginally posted by: AbhiJTrue for 99% of people. Read about a poor PhD physicist's search for truth, love, and a JOB on wall street here (and this person is NOT me):a journey from physics to finance and out again Yeah, but this dude is working as an Adjunct Lecturer at Kellog. They can't put him on tenure-track because he does not have PhD in Finance or Economics. His PhD is in Theoretical Physics. Instead of joining the Finance department in the Business School, he would have been better off joining one of these MFE departments in Industrial Engineering or Math departments like what Derman did.

twofish

October 4th, 2010, 1:42 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: mrmisterA student interviewed with us not so long ago and was asked what he would do if he cannot get a job in the US. He told that his debt was collateralized and all of his education about the debt markets did not show him how he could walk away from that.That tells you how truly dreadful his education is. If he and his collateral is in China or India and has no intention of becoming a resident of the United States, he is judgment proof. Chinese and Indian courts will not enforce US judgments, and the credit reporting system is different (i.e. there is no credit reporting system.)If he can't figure that out on his own, then he really has no business taking loans or giving them out.QuoteI think an educational loan is immune from even a bankruptcy.Who needs bankruptcy? Just buy plane tickets and leave.
Last edited by twofish on October 3rd, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twofish

October 4th, 2010, 1:48 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerYou are getting into finance for one reason: money.I got into finance because I'm an intellectual masochist and I have a weird idea of fun.

farmer
Topic Author

October 4th, 2010, 4:41 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: twofishThat tells you how truly dreadful his education is.Relax, it's just an Internet story.

traderjoe1976

October 4th, 2010, 5:18 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: twofishQuoteOriginally posted by: mrmisterA student interviewed with us not so long ago and was asked what he would do if he cannot get a job in the US. He told that his debt was collateralized and all of his education about the debt markets did not show him how he could walk away from that.That tells you how truly dreadful his education is. If he and his collateral is in China or India and has no intention of becoming a resident of the United States, he is judgment proof. Chinese and Indian courts will not enforce US judgments, and the credit reporting system is different (i.e. there is no credit reporting system.)If he can't figure that out on his own, then he really has no business taking loans or giving them out.QuoteI think an educational loan is immune from even a bankruptcy.Who needs bankruptcy? Just buy plane tickets and leave.In 90% of the cases, the loan will be from a bank in India and the collateral will be this person's parents home in India. The judgment will also be from an Indian court. Only the education and the degree which is granted will be from a USA university.

Anthis

October 4th, 2010, 11:05 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: mrmisterQuoteOriginally posted by: KackToodlesIf you have a chance to not work, TAKE IT. If you seek to make work your life, you are a fool. Since you are unemployed (not by choice), you certainly are the right person to be giving out this advice. Farmer is his wife's husband. This is the toughest job on earth!!!

twofish

October 4th, 2010, 11:36 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976In 90% of the cases, the loan will be from a bank in India and the collateral will be this person's parents home in India. The judgment will also be from an Indian court. Only the education and the degree which is granted will be from a USA university.In that case, I take that back, they are screwed.

plus

October 4th, 2010, 3:01 pm

A tip is to find a job that you enjoy and gives you challenges. If you dont enjoy what you are doing then you should look for a way out.If you do not have a job, then you have to find something to do besides sitting around doing nothing all day, as that gets stale relatively quickly.

AbhiJ

October 4th, 2010, 3:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: plusA tip is to find a job that you enjoy and gives you challenges. If you dont enjoy what you are doing then you should look for a way out.If you do not have a job, then you have to find something to do besides sitting around doing nothing all day, as that gets stale relatively quickly.I guess 90% of people on Wilmott don't enjoy their job, they do it for money anyways. Very few lucky/motivated/smart dudes are able to get the really cool jobs.Cool Jobs - High Profile Journist, Motivational Speaker, Chief Economist,Portfolio Manager, Trader etc.

EscapeArtist999

October 4th, 2010, 4:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AbhiJQuoteOriginally posted by: plusA tip is to find a job that you enjoy and gives you challenges. If you dont enjoy what you are doing then you should look for a way out.If you do not have a job, then you have to find something to do besides sitting around doing nothing all day, as that gets stale relatively quickly.I guess 90% of people on Wilmott don't enjoy their job, they do it for money anyways. Very few lucky/motivated/smart dudes are able to get the really cool jobs.Cool Jobs - High Profile Journist, Motivational Speaker, Chief Economist,Portfolio Manager, Trader etc.I think it's only TwoFish who likes quanting... One of the lucky few.
Last edited by EscapeArtist999 on October 3rd, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mynetself

October 4th, 2010, 5:36 pm

What I don't get is what's the hype about not working all about? If you wouldn't work, what would you do? Everyone seems to have an answer to that, like travel, party all the time, just be lazy and what not. But I think that's bollocks. Just have a look at those who really don't have to work, like Paris Hilton. She's so bored with everything that has nothing better to do than playing the public slut and then pretending like she's sorry and kinda apologize to her "fans". And even she decided she'll start doing something.Or look at retired people. I'm willing to bet that 95%+ are bordering on depression. After a life of work, now you're left with doing nothing but feel sorry for yourself. Depression? Go figure. I'll take stress and "boss hatred" over depression any time. And the few that are not depressed teach youngsters about life on online forums. (Farmer, no offense, but that's how fun and easy not working for you seems to be. Are you sure it's that "fun"???) One of the reasons why governments want unemployment levels low is not so everyone will have their own money and be happy, but more because loads of people that do nothing actually cause trouble!No, I'm not a workaholic or anything like that, but seriously people, if you were not working, what the hell would you do? Give me one single convincing answer that will make me believe that by not working you could avoid serious boredom and depression and I'll be happy.

Cuchulainn

October 4th, 2010, 6:15 pm

Quote look at retired people
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 3rd, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On