Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar

Re: norway

October 3rd, 2020, 10:33 pm

Not in the mud for jouks...
We are just relaxing after a very busy week. Less travel means More Work! : )

Tomorrow another long trail in the woods for me, with a waterfall at the end.  Enjoy your weekend!
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

katastrofa

October 4th, 2020, 12:59 am

How's Rocket Raccoon doing? Are the apple pies for him? ;-)

BTW, I wouldn't have guessed that Cuchulainn is the fan of Hairy Otter!

trackstar

October 4th, 2020, 2:24 am

Doing very well - nice of you to ask!  : )

My sister has seen bears recently and I have seen foxes, - everything is busy bulking up for the winter.

And also relevant to Norway:
pine marten.jpg
Pine martens!
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

Cuchulainn

October 4th, 2020, 1:40 pm

BTW, I wouldn't have guessed that Cuchulainn is the fan of Hairy Otter!
I did go the see the film (the one with the chess game) but I fell asleep in the cinema. The noise during the chess game woke me up.

katastrofa

October 4th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Not having seen any HP movie before, I went for a all-night marathon at IMAX BFI in London (two nights on the weekend). It looked nice on the big screen, well made, with good actors... but I also fell asleep.
I tried to read the book. Pretty shallow, backwards, and pretentious at times, if you ask me. I think Twilight var et dusin ganger bedre enn det - silly and naive, but in an innocent and sincere way.

katastrofa

October 4th, 2020, 5:40 pm

Pine marten is such a serious name. How about Funny-faced fluff ball?
7C31024E-98F4-4634-B76B-72D92018CA6C.jpeg
Btw, since the AI algorithms put into doubt the taxonomic classification of my cat, I started to dig into it and came up with the top three candidates:

bearish

October 4th, 2020, 11:05 pm

Well, just in case, don’t feed her after midnight!

Collector

October 5th, 2020, 12:51 am

I have done this route in summer before, dry, easy and nice, fun!

Beseggen climbing

Yesterday I did it in heavy fog, ice-rain, hail, some wind. Not exactly fun. Web page told look at weather forchast, and warned do not walk if foggy conditions. The weather forchast was indeed foggy and rainy and temperature around 1 celcius on edge. Exactly why I went to get a little Dopamine rush ;-?

Got lost in the fog after the ridge...tried to back track when lucky to bunch into the last team (2 people) that had something called a GPS, cool thing, got back on track.

Also loved going down the last steep place, the wall with the metal chain hanging down. When half way down the chain the team leader screams to his one other team member: "remember to take off your slippery gloves before climbing down the chain", this when I am half-way down the chain holding on with my slippery gloves....

Good entertainment, good for heart! much better than watching lazy forums! Recommended!

Most important I found the Viking Pyramid and reinforced it with a magic stone!
Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 2.15.06 AM.png

Topp Tur!
Last edited by Collector on October 5th, 2020, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearish

October 5th, 2020, 1:25 am

Glad you survived! Topptur is a word and, arguably, concept that entered the Norwegian vocabulary decades after I left the country. For those not in the know, it refers to a hike (or XC skiing trip) that includes a “top”, i.e. a local maximum of height above sea level. It is very much a thing, if my Norwegian Facebook friends’ posts are to be believed.

Collector

October 5th, 2020, 1:38 am

the guy selling the boat ticket told it was cell phone signal on the ridge. FALSE!!!  (at least under heavy fogg conditions). Last boat for the year was yesterday! So no help in the phrase: never too early to call for a helicopter!

Next is ski season, to carry skies on back and climb the ridge is also popular! Still on my to do list!

Have the people enforcing corona travel restrictions thought about the consequences? Blocked from going to spain,italy, Greece, we have little else to do than topptur in all weather conditions!

Cuchulainn

October 5th, 2020, 11:47 am

Have the people enforcing corona travel restrictions thought about the consequences? Blocked from going to spain,italy, Greece, we have little else to do than topptur in all weather conditions!
Most of the Greeks I know are to be found in your Options book.

what about this?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtvCnZqZnxc

katastrofa

October 5th, 2020, 7:10 pm

The climb looks comparable or easier than Orla Perć (my favourite route in Polish Tatras; unfortunately they added so many chains and ladders that it got crowded; still, breathtaking views near Przełącz Krzyżne). No season is perfect for those mountains: storms and rain in the summer, cold and fog in the autumn. Some of my comrades walked it in the winter, which was apparently pretty easy - just traverse the cornice and hope it won't slide down under your feet into the abyss.

I put the Bessegen in my notebook for the next year!

Cuchulainn

October 5th, 2020, 8:38 pm

What about Skeikampen by night?

Cuchulainn

October 6th, 2020, 11:50 pm

Those Vikings were all over the place.

https://www.tcd.ie/news_events/articles ... he-locals/

Cuchulainn

October 7th, 2020, 4:14 pm

What about Skeikampen by night?

Nice blue sky tonite!
ABOUT WILMOTT

Wilmott

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On