SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

Body Language/Facial expression reading for interviews

December 16th, 2013, 1:25 pm

Anyone know any great resources for learning how to expertly read Body Language/Facial expressions? This is the best resource I know of:

tagoma

December 16th, 2013, 2:13 pm

Agreed! NLP and friends is scientific free.

Hansi

December 16th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Haven't read it myself but have been suggested to read it by two people:

liam

December 17th, 2013, 1:26 pm

I'm guessing the original resource is Ekman's work on facial expressions (as he advises Lie to Me) - been there, done that, it might work for some but found coaching superior - maybe fund someone through toastmasters or if you know any competent HR professionals (they do exist).

liam

December 17th, 2013, 1:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: liamI'm guessing the original resource is Ekman's work on facial expressions (as he advises Lie to Me) - been there, done that, it might work for some but found coaching superior - maybe fund someone through toastmasters or if you know any competent HR professionals (they do exist).Sorry, meant find someone, not fund. Could be Freudian slip as coaching costs $$$...

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

December 17th, 2013, 1:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: liamQuoteOriginally posted by: liamI'm guessing the original resource is Ekman's work on facial expressions (as he advises Lie to Me) - been there, done that, it might work for some but found coaching superior - maybe fund someone through toastmasters or if you know any competent HR professionals (they do exist).Sorry, meant find someone, not fund. Could be Freudian slip as coaching costs $$$...Toastmasters is a good idea!

tagoma

December 24th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Facial expression: Other doubful research work and results

capafan2

December 24th, 2013, 11:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardFacial expression: Other doubful research work and resultsFairly good TV serials based on the book Hansi suggested-1. Lie to Me2. MentalistBoth are a bit sensationalist but interesting. There is a whole research on the topic. Google "Microexpressions" for details. My personal opinion is people who are good at reading other people are also very good at appraising themselves in "real-time". It needs a good deal of "self-acceptance" which is different from "self-approval". It simply means "accepting who I am and what I am in the moment even if I don't approve of it". The more people resist it the more they delude themselves and the more they will either harshly judge others or give them the benefit of the doubt both of which are effects of reflecting how much they self-loath what they are reading or expect to be forgiven for what they are reading. Also one common mistake I have seen people make is mistaking being able to read a person to being able to predict what a person will do. They are very different things. Often it is easy to read people but much harder to predict how they will react to certain situations. Difference is in the commonly made comment "Basically he is a nice guy (..inspite of the fact that in a lot of situations he behaves like an asshole)". Which is why interviews need to focus on discussing specific situations which the candidate mentions from the past where they dealt with them. Of-course they will bullshit a bit but you can read that easily. The really good ones are very comfortable discussing their personal limitations and past mistakes as well discuss their glory moments. They all help in building a comprehensive picture.In my opinion one of the best TV characters which reflects great skills here is Detective Goren from "Law and Order - Criminal Intent"

Cuchulainn

December 27th, 2013, 12:35 pm

How about Marlon Brando
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On